News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

A jagged point on the tip of the Lleyn Peninsula is the unlikely location for what was originally a nine hole course built in 1907.  It wasn’t long before the pressure of convention hit the club and nine additional holes were built.  JH Taylor added nine more holes not long before WWII and Hawtree had his say with three holes in the 80s.  Somehow, this all added up to an unusual 26 hole configuration of 10 old holes and two sets of 8 new holes.  Of the 26 holes 22 were affected by public footpaths! 

I played the Old ten holes and what I was led to believe the best 8 hole set many years ago.   Other than for the setting and a handful of extraordinary holes, some good and some not, I wasn’t entirely impressed. 

In some cases the extra new holes tacked onto a remarkable original design are now looked upon as course spoilers.  It may have taken 100 years, but the work Nefyn embarked upon all those years ago should be seen as successful.  The beauty of the site not only attracts golfers, walkers stream across the Point in their thousands, necessitating the closure of the Old Course for significant periods of time.  Hence the newer holes are essential to sustain the club.  Taking steps further, the club recently touched up the property by creating a new Championship 18 and the Old Course 9. Although, it is still possible to combine a new 9 with the Old to play 18 holes.

To create the 27 hole property the Old Course lost one of the most outrageous holes in golf.  Playing toward the end of the Point, the old par five 12th featured two blind shots, the second over a large pothole to a green on the far side some 80 yards distant.  Replacing this extremely dangerous relic of the past is a wonderful short hole (#3/12) hard on the cliffs left of the old par 5.  To make up 9 holes, another short hole (#2/11) playing from the old 12th tee was built.  While mellowed somewhat, the new Old Course retains plenty of character which includes the All Wales 13th. I can't recollect what happened to the other hole of the Old 10. Somewhere along the way it has disappeared!

Even on a cold damp morning few courses say hello the way Nefyn does. 

The plateau on which the green is located is far bigger than it looks. The green is set back about 40 yards via a neck thinner than Cleopatra's!

A pair of new short holes follows, the 3rd being a cracker.  The walk to #2 reveals the 2nd on what is called the Front 9.

I imagine the club must struggle with sea salt attacking this green and likely the 5th as well.   

The 3rd, and headland in the background.

A big issue with these holes are the long walks between greens and tees.  At least the 4th rewards golfers with a visually stunning hole of very high quality.   

The carry doesn't look that oppressive, but it must be 300 yards on the tiger line.  The further right one plays for safety the worse the angle of approach. 

A sneak peak of peril to come. 

The infinity (from certain angles!) green is cradled in a den of rock.

The 5th is a charmer even if a played off a mat!

The uphill 6th is rather ordinary, as is much of the remainder of the nine with the exception of the three-shot 8th.  What is extraordinary is the settlement of Porthdinllaen resting on the beach in the shadow of the cliffs. Probably the most famous pub in Wales, the Ty Coch, is the centre of attraction in these parts.  This pub is a big reason why the Old nine is closed down for much of school holidays.  If this nine is on the cards golfers must be making the turn by 12:30ish as hordes of folks swarm the point for a pint.  Sometimes tee off times stop at 8:30...folks are so keen!

I won't say the other nines are worth much time or effort, especially as green fees have been steadily increasing in recent years. But, if one asks nicely, on the right day, at the right time of year, a 9 hole rate can be had and it is a steal.   2019

Previous Stops

Harlech
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33937.0.html

Planned Stops

Beaconsfield
Woodhall Spa
Seacroft

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:07:17 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Mayhugh

Re: NEFYN'S Notable 9 (Old Course): 2019-20 Winter Tour Grinds On
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 08:10:36 AM »
Not sure if I should thank you for this tour or not. I've been thinking about getting to Harlech and Aberdovey pre-Buda, so now there's another to add to the mix. Not really worth bothering with the other holes there?

Sean_A

Re: NEFYN'S Notable 9 (Old Course): 2019-20 Winter Tour Grinds On New
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 08:23:36 AM »
Tucky

I wouldn't bother if I had to pay for 18, but then I am golf cheap  8) . I spose you could be cheeky and try to play the back 9 of Porthmadog and the Old 9 at Nefyn then swing back to Harlech for the night. It would make for an interesting day trip! The thing is, you have to go where the courses are.

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:16:55 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 08:58:08 AM »
Sounds like drive-on-by unless the weather is absolutely perfect, especially as it’s a bit of a detour to get to Nefyn.
Presumably there’s some good golf along the North Wales coastline between Manc Airport and Harlech (and onto Aberdovey, Welshpool, Kington ....)l the likes of Conwy etc?
Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
Sounds like drive-on-by unless the weather is absolutely perfect, especially as it’s a bit of a detour to get to Nefyn.
Presumably there’s some good golf along the North Wales coastline between Manc Airport and Harlech (and onto Aberdovey, Welshpool, Kington ....)l the likes of Conwy etc?
Atb

definitely not a driveby
besides North Wales, Bull Bay well worth the play along with Pwwllheli , Porthmadog Abersoch, Holhead
I thoroughly enjoyed Nefyn-as did my group
Not every course has to pull one's beard, blonde's will often suffice
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »
Now that's a 'gentle handshake' of an opener I can love, i.e. a big wide fairway for your warm-up/opening drive, 'cause you're old and creaky and don't want to get discouraged with a mulligan to start the day; but then -- 'cause you're now warmed up, and have no more reasonable excuses -- you're called to have to hit a damn (good) golf shot! 

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 10:40:17 AM »
We played the back 8 along with the front 10 that heads out along the clifftop. The first ten were perfectly fine, reminding me of the front nine at Tralee. They clearly don't have the same drama as the headland holes, but they were at least peaceful! We were there in April and were dodging cars and clueless pedestrians throughout the final holes.

It was a fun round all told and my father and I then strolled out to the Ty Soch for a pint on the beach.
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 10:48:53 AM »
Trying to figure out a pre-Buda combination of courses. Hopefully I can squeeze in Nefyn and Porthmadog along with Harlech and Aberdovey. I'll probably leave the others of Northern Wales to another time. I did play Bull Bay a few years back and really enjoyed it.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 10:21:34 AM »
My expectations for the course were high and went out of my way to play it. I was underwhelmed by the experience. As Sean said there are a few very good holes but they also have some very plain holes and given the land it is disappointing. It could be something special. The holes that jut out in the peninsula are uneven. There is a par four that is amazing and the par three off the mats is exceptional but that is about it. It is called the Cypress Point of Wales. It is not.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 12:00:16 PM »
Trying to figure out a pre-Buda combination of courses. Hopefully I can squeeze in Nefyn and Porthmadog along with Harlech and Aberdovey. I'll probably leave the others of Northern Wales to another time. I did play Bull Bay a few years back and really enjoyed it.
There may well be other better alternatives to consider playing after Buda rather than before. For example, if your heading back to Manchester airport from Kington there are places like Beau Desert, Little Aston, Blackwell and Delemere Forest that could be seen on the way that’s assuming you don’t venture slightly further south east to the likes of Minch’ Old, Cleeve etc.
Atb

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »
There may well be other better alternatives to consider playing after Buda rather than before. For example, if your heading back to Manchester airport from Kington there are places like Beau Desert, Little Aston, Blackwell and Delemere Forest that could be seen on the way that’s assuming you don’t venture slightly further south east to the likes of Minch’ Old, Cleeve etc.
Atb

This would be a nice little wander back to Manchester Airport...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kington+Golf+Club,+Bradnor+Hill,+Kington+HR5+3RE/Blackwell+Golf+Club,+Agmore+Road,+Bromsgrove/Little+Aston+Golf+Club,+Roman+Road,+Streetly,+Sutton+Coldfield/Beau+Desert+Golf+Club,+Cannock/JCB+Golf+and+Country+Club,+Hollington+Road,+Rocester,+Uttoxeter/Cavendish+Golf+Club,+Watford+Road,+Buxton/Manchester+Airport,+Manchester/@52.7923941,-3.0820389,8.79z/data=!4m44!4m43!1m5!1m1!1s0x4870246afbde5d2d:0x89e0ab2e687fc0e2!2m2!1d-3.0377197!2d52.2133657!1m5!1m1!1s0x4870953285e56b3d:0x22d890f64125a5ef!2m2!1d-2.0100844!2d52.3461358!1m5!1m1!1s0x4870a418e7ea3df1:0x6148e053e6fba96c!2m2!1d-1.8671151!2d52.595543!1m5!1m1!1s0x487a0add55f7f919:0x5f4b69e85aae67ea!2m2!1d-1.960225!2d52.720291!1m5!1m1!1s0x487a17d361bdebad:0xb3dc85270fb7ff1c!2m2!1d-1.85828!2d52.9460543!1m5!1m1!1s0x487a36ccf11d3749:0x63a71ceef06182df!2m2!1d-1.9294293!2d53.2606706!1m5!1m1!1s0x487a52c0dfd893c5:0x8b0b8247e5e4a5e0!2m2!1d-2.2727303!2d53.3588026!3e0

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 02:27:39 PM »
The second and third of the main course has a setting reminiscent of the cliff holes at Pebble Beach. I played years ago on a Friday of a Ryder Cup at Valderamma. Had a ticket on the Euros so could watch knowing I would win, one way or the other.  The first hole has an aiming pole.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 07:41:32 AM »
Atb
I've been to Beau Desert, Blackwell, & Cavendish (three different times) in prior trips. Definitely would like to see Little Aston, Delamere, & JCB. I'm thinking about those west coast of Wales courses because I seem less likely to be back near there than I will Brum or Manchester.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back