News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Re: Dashing DUNSTANBURGH CASTLE GC
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 08:07:39 AM »
For the most part, the tee shots on the back 9 aren't very interesting. You need to keep out of trouble, but that's about it. I thought the green sites redeemed things somewhat. And the views also help.

The 18th is a disappointing way to finish, and may have an excessive impact on how people rate the course, myself included.

Overall, I enjoyed the course and am glad we visited.

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 04:04:28 AM »
Tucky

I think Topp and I concluded DC is in the Doak 5-6 range.  I would call it a course where it is worth a significant day trip to play...no more driving than it takes to play and have drinks.  Not quite GB&I top 100 material, but good enough to schedule a return visit.  For the price, DC represents excellent value and thats why its in my Nifty 50 right next to Barton Hills and RAC Old Course.

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 04:08:10 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Mayhugh

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 07:25:37 AM »
Sean,
Agreed. Definitely good enough to return to. Not sure how long that will take for me, but I'll be back.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »
I was back at Dunstanburgh this afternoon.  Pretty much the same wind but about 15 centigrade cooler and with added rain.  On top of which we played the white tees, which made really significant differences at 8, 9, 10, 13 (20 yards longer but a very different angle, too), 16 and 17.  I think my views remain the same, pretty much.  8 is still the best hole on the course, even from 60/70 yards further back, though all of a sudden it's not a tricky wedge approach, it's a long iron in.

And no-one in our group (I was the only player not off single figures) got close to hitting the 15th green, at all of 115 yards.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 05:17:21 PM »
Did the added yards make the course better?

Happy Hockey
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2019, 12:06:24 PM »

Happy Hockey
No.  There's no real difference on 1-7.  8 is still the best hole on the course, just a different challenge.  9 is better, I think but not much difference from there on.  Back tees at 17 and 18 are in weird, disorienting places.  17 becomes, effectively, blind.

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2019, 05:58:52 AM »

Happy Hockey
No.  There's no real difference on 1-7.  8 is still the best hole on the course, just a different challenge.  9 is better, I think but not much difference from there on.  Back tees at 17 and 18 are in weird, disorienting places.  17 becomes, effectively, blind.

I don't remember the back tee on 9. Why is the hole better from there?

Happy Hockey

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2019, 06:53:44 AM »
It's a good 50/60 yards back and slightly straighter.  It makes for a much more interesting and challenging tee shot, making the left side fairway bunker a proper hazard to engage with.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back