News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

An Interview With Jim Fazio
« on: September 12, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »
Jim Fazio knows about golf courses: how they are built and what they bring to a suburb, a village, even an ancient city. Since 1961, that has been the Fazio family business.
Along with his uncle George and brother Tom, they have built 250 to 300 golf courses, and their designs are staples of “Top 100” and “Best of” lists around the world.
Mr. Fazio, 77, talked about the challenges of designing courses in Europe and Japan and America, as well as what it felt like to work for a developer who is now president of the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/realestate/golf-course-design-jim-fazio.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:09:18 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Adam Clayman

Re: An Interview With Jim Fazio
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 09:04:37 AM »
Steve, Thanks for posting.

Kind of amazing there's no discussion spurred. Even edited and condensed, there's plenty to nitpick. I find the story of his evolution into the business to be telling.

I've enjoyed the one Jim course I'm familiar with. It may very well be NLE. It was the El Diablo, down in Florida. Funny story about El Diablo surrounded Superintendent/shaper Don Maidlow. They spec'd the brand new strain of GN1 for the entire course. Maidlow refused to sign off on it, eventually getting in writing that he was not responsible for the choice. Sure enough, the stuff was so invasive it took over everywhere.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Anthony_Nysse

Re: An Interview With Jim Fazio
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »
Steve, Thanks for posting.

Kind of amazing there's no discussion spurred. Even edited and condensed, there's plenty to nitpick. I find the story of his evolution into the business to be telling.

I've enjoyed the one Jim course I'm familiar with. It may very well be NLE. It was the El Diablo, down in Florida. Funny story about El Diablo surrounded Superintendent/shaper Don Maidlow. They spec'd the brand new strain of GN1 for the entire course. Maidlow refused to sign off on it, eventually getting in writing that he was not responsible for the choice. Sure enough, the stuff was so invasive it took over everywhere.

GN-1 was popular on range tees & Greg Norman designed courses. It's almost identical to Celebration bermudagrass, where is now everywhere in the south.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back