News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Hayward CA
« on: September 09, 2021, 02:38:54 PM »
My daughter just moved to Hayward to attend chiropractic school.  I'm sure my wife and I will be visiting on a somewhat regular basis.  Looking for recommendations for courses to play when we make the trip.  Not looking for access to the big boys, but rather looking for some hidden gems that might be worth a stop.  Any suggestions would be welcomed!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

David_Tepper

Re: Hayward CA
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 04:18:38 PM »
Among the muni/public courses, the South Course at Corica Park in Alameda is pretty good. So is the Metropolitan near Oakland Airport. Those 2 courses are within a 5-7 minute drive of each other.

A little closer to Hayward is Monarch Bay, another muni/public worth playing.

I don't know much about anything further south on the east side of the Bay. On the west side of the Bay, the Baylands course in East Palo Alto is also worth playing.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
Wente Vineyards is nice about 20 mins from there.

Poppy Ridge is a fun 27 hole NCGA facility that has a linksy feel but is closer to Livermore.
Sister course to Poppy Hill in Monterrey.

JLahrman

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 05:31:13 PM »

As David mentioned, Chuck Corica, Monarch Bay, and Metropolitan are close by and are plenty of fun. They're all right on the bay, fairly flat, and generally windy in the afternoon (especially Monarch Bay). When I lived in the East Bay I was happy to play at any of them.

There are any number of courses you could get to by driving maybe 30-45 minutes inland that would have more elevation change and less wind if that's your thing, but I don't know that they're really worth making the longer drive for. I played Callippe Preserve a couple of times and liked a lot of the holes there.

Ian, I never played Wente Vineyards but I would think it would be more like a 40 minute drive from Hayward?

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 05:53:51 PM »

Great suggestions by David . . . . . Monarch is a personal favorite. Harbottle tried to give many of the holes a Raynoresque feel. Metropolitan is big fun also - and Forrest's Baylands (across the S.M. bridge and down a bit) is a blast.   

If you want a funky, fun change of pace, Poplar Creek (25 minutes from Hayward, tops) in San Mateo. Like all the other listed courses along the agua, I suggest playing them early rather than late - sometimes the afternoon winds along the SF Bay can get brutal.

Poplar is a 6,350 yard, par 70 that looks damn easy on the scorecard - and extremely playable for hackers - but undressing her without getting slapped across the chops a couple times is a whole lot harder than you think. In the interest of full disclosure, I was deeply involved in the remodel (FKA San Mateo Muni) - it has enough interesting moments (especially back nine) to keep your attention.

As a second thought, Poplar has a comfy locals' bar and the restaurant and patio are definitely worth having lunch or dinner. Food is terrific as you watch groups putt out next to the waterscape and 18th green. Hayward is an absolute duck in terms of decent places to eat - most of the joints make Denny's look like the French Laundry. 

Wente is worth the drive - I first played it with Golf's Most Beloved Figure's (even more) beloved brother. The routing is rather unusual, but each hole - as stand alone architecture - gives you plenty to think about. If you head in that direction - and don't go during traffic times - Las Positas in Livermore is entertaining and only 17 miles away.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 06:00:19 PM by Gib Papazian »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 07:03:04 PM »
It's private, but TPC Stonebrae is actually in Hayward. It's a fun David McLay-Kidd course and probably a huge change of pace no matter where you're from or what you're used to playing. I don't know if they have a reciprocal policy, etc. Otherwise I would agree with Wente as the best upscale public course in the vicinity, Poppy Ridge the best mid-range, and Corica as the best less-expensive option.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 07:07:13 PM »
Great advice so far and agree with above picks. To add to this:

First and foremost, make the drive to Santa Cruz at least once to play Pasatiempo!

A few others but full disclosure been forever since I played them so don't know what condition they're in:

Tilden Park - Fun course with some intrigue and a massive bomber hole,  not too far away in Berkeley
Lake Chabot - I doubt you'll find anything much funkier in the bay area, but I loved playing this track.  Just avoid in the wet months because it doesn't drain well.
Blue Rock East - A fun course in Vallejo with some interesting holes.

And if you need a quick 9 Mission Hills in Hayward isn't too bad, its a par 33 IIRC.

Good luck!

Scott Szabo

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.  Looking forward to seeing a few of these in the upcoming months.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 10:35:48 AM »
Scott -

One private club that is a bit of a Bay Area hidden gem and worth seeing is Claremont in Oakland. It is a very old-school, par-68 course that underwent some well-done restoration work several years ago. Access could be tough, but it is worth making a few phone calls to get to play there.

DT

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »
Since Hayward is right off 92, go west to ocean and play the Ocean Course at Half Moon Bay.Fun linksy Art Hills track.
fantastic drive, too.

Or, play that cool pub course right at 92 and 280 overlooking San Andreas fault....Crystal Springs I believe.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 02:35:27 PM »
Scott - Orinda is up the road a bit, but happy to host you and your wife.

Other suggestions are good, especially the two courses near OAK (Metropolitan and Monarch Bay), and Corica in Alameda.  Those are easy to reach from Hayward.  For sure book a game at Pasatiempo if possible. 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 05:15:16 PM »
I grew up playing Crystal Springs (high school home track, too) and also recommend it. The Chiro school is right at the East end of the SM Bride, so it is 20.5 miles away, all freeway.

Strange quirk - not all of it in a good way - given some ham-handed remodel work since my first fledgling whacks in 1966, but views of the watershed below are astoundingly beautiful, particularly late afternoon - when the Pacific fog cascades over the wooded hillsides in the distance.

W.H. Fowler is credited with designing "Crystal" in 1924, but don't get too excited as there isn't a micron of the original layout remaining . . . . . however, for entertainment value with a uniquely interesting back nine, well worth an afternoon.

If you decide travel to Pasatiempo (beyond fantastic), I suggest an overnight near the Boardwalk and a quick early round at Delaveaga. County Golf course, not long, but I go over especially to play it a couple times a year - another one that looks easy on the scorecard until your try to navigate all the twists and unexpected turns.

If you're going to head over the hill (35 minutes) towards Livermore, don't bother with Poppy Ridge . . . . . 27 holes of mind-numbing sameness arop Hurricane Hill. Wente is actually a bit closer.

JStewart

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 08:31:37 PM »
TPC Stonebrae is nice and, at least as of a few years ago, not hard to get on if you have a pro make a call for you.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 01:53:14 AM »
Lake Chabot is the funnest course with the most elevation changes you will ever play. 18th is a par 6 all down hill 660+ yards reachable in two when it's dry. From the 15th or 16th tee you can see the whole bay and both bridges on a clear day. 9th is a 75 ft drop par 3 under 150 yds.
Metro is nice and flat, easily walkable designed to be a faux Scottish links and fun.
I hear good things about the new Alameda courses but haven't played them yet.
If you have private access Sequoyah CC in nearby Oakland is over a 100 years old and a sleeper that is usually friendly to out of towers.
Lots of great restaurants in Alameda and Oakland so Google them.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2021, 10:33:09 AM »
Thank you all for the recommendations.  Looking forward to our first visit in November.

DFarron

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 05:27:05 PM »

Other suggestions are good, especially the two courses near OAK (Metropolitan and Monarch Bay), and Corica in Alameda.  Those are easy to reach from Hayward.  For sure book a game at Pasatiempo if possible.

I’d accept this kind invitation, Orinda is awesome. Corica is exceptional and a model for what public golf should be. The Bridges in Sam Ramon is fun but usually in crappy shape. Contra Costa CC is the third best course in the East Bay, a super entertaining course but private. Other sleepers that I like that are a bit farther but worth it include The Presidio, Harding Park and Half Moon Bay.
Lived in the East Bay for 8 years, there is no finer place for golf.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 05:37:46 PM »

Lived in the East Bay for 8 years, there is no finer place for golf.

Well it depends on your criteria.

If you're talking access to interesting public courses that are inexpensive, good quality, and easy to get on...its nowhere near the top.

Spokane and Salt Lake City have far better offerings and selection in this category.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back