News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Leodora

Jim Finegan book signing
« on: October 28, 2003, 08:34:54 AM »
Renowned author Jim Finegan will conduct a lecture and book signing in the temporary clubhouse for the new Rees Jones-designed private club near Reading on Wednesday, November 5.
The event will coincide with the announcement of groundbreaking for the course. A Socail Hour will be held from 5 to 7 p.m., with Finegan's lecture beginning about 5:45.
Golfclubatlas.com members are invited. Call to make a reservation at 610-777-9705. There is no charge.

Kelly_Blake_Moran

Re:Jim Finegan book signing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 09:19:01 AM »
How will he tie in two divergent themes: His love for the courses of the British Isles, and a Rees Jones course?  Is this another sell out, a need to sell books that is so great he will associate with anyone?  Or, am I just too uptight today.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 09:21:28 AM »
Kelly;

I think Mr. Finegan never met a course he didn't like.  

Either that or he's too polite and gentlemanly to point it out.  

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 09:27:35 AM »
Mike Cirba,

I recently had the oportunity to meet Jim Finegan, something I wish I had done years ago. He is , indeed, a gentleman.

Kelly Blake Moran,

I'll go with you being too uptight today. Jim's work is worth supporting.
Tim Weiman

Kelly_Blake_Moran

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 09:31:06 AM »
You are probably right Tim.  i would love to meet him and hear his talk, the course is only about 5 minutes from my office.  But, how would that look going to such an event after some of the criticisms and awful things I have said about Ree's approach to design.  I guess Mr. Finegan's gentleman qualities is probably something I need to go see so some will rub off on me.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 10:04:26 AM »
Kelly Blake Moran:

One of the toughest things is to offer meaningful criticism of golf courses and yet avoid the subject getting too personal.

Put your thoughts about Rees Jones aside and just go se Jim Finegan. To my knowledge, Jim has written five books:

1. His huge and difficult to find volume about golf in Philadelphia.

2. The Pine Valley history - one of the best club history books; it works without devoting much space to the golf course itself. Not many other writers have been able to do that.

3. Scotland
4. Ireland
5. UK - his latest

You will note that his three travel books are not really intended to be "golf architecture criticism". Rather, they are intended to help readers plan trips by giving them a feel for the place before they visit. All three make for very enjoyable reading. I don't know how one can fault Jim.
Tim Weiman

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 10:09:13 AM »
Does anyone know what the lecture is to cover? Sounds like fun to me, I could probably make it to Reading in 3+ hours. Hmmm....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 11:16:31 AM »
Over the years, I have had the habit of making a telephone call to the author after reading their newly published book. I did so with Jim Finegan and a more charming man you could not fail to like. Whatever he has to say at his lecture will be worth listening to.

I find it a great pity that there is such animus of Rees Jones on this board. He is hardly the anti-Christ and, like most of us, is trying to make a living.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 11:44:24 AM »
Kelly:

When it comes to JimF you are being too uptight today. As Tim and Mike Cirba said Jim Finegan really is one of those unique characters that never met a golf course he didn't like. Actually that's not at all true--he definitely has met plenty of golf courses he didn't like but Jim's passion for golf is and always has been such that even on a golf course he may intensely hate he REALLY CAN find a way to have a good time!

The other thing you should know is that he's definitely one of the most unusual and entertaining speakers you've ever seen.

Jim has an excellent and true understanding about the classic course and certainly the European course but what he is to me is one of the true "realistists" about the old and the new. He's definitely no "sell-out" when it comes to classic architecture.

He gave me a bit of advice years ago that I'll never forget. We'd had lunch and talked a lot about the classic course, about the restorations to come of GMGC and PCC and on the street he said that the great classic courses and all about them and their principles was just marvelous but that we should never forget that it is possible with real understanding of some of the things that the modern era can offer us (particularly agronomy) that they can be better today than they even were at their best in the old days!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 11:46:40 AM by TEPaul »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 11:54:34 AM »
His Ireland and Scotland book are the best golf travel books I have ever read.

DPL11

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 07:37:27 PM »
I have Jim's book on the history of the Golf Association of Philadelphia courses, and the epic History of Pine Valley. Both are a must have in anyone's collection.

Tom-I think that Jim always found something positive in any and all golf courses. Although one or two descriptions in the GAP book were a real stretch, even for him.

DPL11

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 04:18:26 PM »
Jim is a very interesting man to talk to. Last year Tom Paul put me in contact with him and Jim talked to me for over an hour. He advised me to tear out the description of Carnoustie (it was after the debacle at the Open there) and held forth on a variety of courses.
   Jim must be the forerunner of Tom Huckaby, who never met a course he couldn't enjoy. Of course, Tom doesn't have Jim's eccentricities. Jim considers a typewriter all the technology he needs for his bookwriting efforts. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

THuckaby2

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 04:22:59 PM »

Jim must be the forerunner of Tom Huckaby, who never met a course he couldn't enjoy.

Why thank you, Ed.  I consider that a compliment.  

I have always been a Fineganist.   ;)

Playing golf is fun.  How can a supposedly bad course completely ruin that?  One is still playing the world's greatest game...

That to me is a mystery.

TH

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 04:24:34 PM »
It's not just a typewriter--it's about a 70 year old Underwood and Jim says he's just about got it broken in. I asked him one time on the phone if he had a computer and email and all I heard was;

"EEEEE---OOOOO---AAAAH..........................................no!"

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2003, 07:16:04 AM »
Bob Huntley -

You know I kinda agree with you.  Rees may not be my favorite designer but he has done some thoughtful designs (Ocean Forest, Cascata and Nantucket GC, Sandpines....{just kidding Tommy!  ;D}).  I have more respect for Rees than I do his brother who seems more intent on covering the world with golf courses than building courses with character.

JC

Kelly_Blake_Moran

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2003, 08:07:57 AM »
I reserved my spot.  Hope to meet some of you there.

Nick_Ficorelli

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2003, 09:19:05 AM »
Tony:
What book is he featuring?
will the Pine Valley book be available for purchase?

Kelly_Blake_Moran

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 08:34:27 AM »
Mr. Finegan was probably the most captivating speaker I have ever had the pleasure to see.  It reminded me of readings I read about before the time of TV and movies.  People would go and hear an Emerson or Whitman read from their works and that was the entertainment.  Mr. Finnegan's presentation far exceeded anything on TV, it was just an absolute pleasure.  I know when my imagination is captured because my forehead is strained from my eyes being wide open in anticipation of what is coming next.  I became aware of this on more than one occasion as I was listening to him.

At times you think a low moment is coming when he may be at a loss for words, but then it is only a pause before he binges on the most exquisite arrangement of words and sentences that thrill you and also give you relief that this man is up to any challenge.  I hate to call it entertainment because what he has to say has such weight and importance, but he does it in such an entertaining way, I mean I have not been to any event, music, movie, etc. in recent memory that was more entertaining than his presentation.

He read from his book throughout the presentation which in the beginning concerned me, but it was magnificent because his prose is so good that it just explodes when he reads it because of his style and manner and grace, and he blends the reading with improvisation that is so well managed.  

I hope Pat Mucci reads this thread because Mr. Finnegan would be a magnificent addition to the winter gathering...in fact if he agreed they should just clear the decks and let him talk all day.  Everybody wants power point and slides and such, well no collection of phtographs could entertain you as compared to just sitting and listening to him.  I told Tony L. I would come by everyday at 5:00  after work if they had him their to talk.

wsmorrison

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2003, 11:00:45 AM »
Well said, Kelly.  The man is a treasure to his community, to golf and to literature.  I heard Mr. Finegan speak from his latest work on the courses of England and Wales at Phila CC months ago, was this the topic of the evening?  Irrespective of topic, Mr. Finegan is engaging and informative.  Whenever I read his books, I try to do so with his cadence and inflection that makes the reading flow like a gentle Irish stream.  He was the first person I went to see when I decided to work on the Flynn book.  His guidance and suggestions continue to prove very important.  I hope that Tom and I can begin to approach his very high standard of excellence.  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 11:01:45 AM by wsmorrison »

Bill Weber

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2003, 01:31:45 PM »
Nick,
I met Jim on TOC and played with him. He made absolutely clear at that time the Pine Valley book would be available for sale only at Pine Valley itself. I was able to get a copy from  another member.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 01:32:59 PM by w weber »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back