News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

A mentor
« on: July 26, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »
In the summer of 1979 I was 13 years old, had moved to a new town and played golf by myself because I did not know anybody.  One evening a guy waved me forward to join him.  He had a beautiful golf swing and for at the end of the round asked me to caddie for him in an upcoming tournament. 

George Turner was a wonderful friend and mentor to me at a time when I really needed one.  He maintained a beautiful swing even late in life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zK2wD9xQU

George passed away yesterday.  I had a few brief conversations with him as he played some of his final tournaments around the age of 80.[/size][size=78%] [/size]

https://iowagolf.org/iowa-golf-hall-of-fame-lifetime-iga-board-members-george-turner-passes-away/

If you see an awkward kid playing alone on your golf course, wave him up and make him or her feel welcome. 

Garland Bayley

Re: A mentor
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 11:41:06 AM »
Thanks Jason,

Sorry for your loss.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 12:05:09 PM »
Nice of you to post that, Jason. A reminder of one of the great things about golf - how easily different generations can enjoy the same sport together. I think there's a lot of benefit to both sides.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 04:48:21 PM »
Jason:

Indeed, a lovely post.

I have lost several of my mentors over the last 3-4 years; it seems like a whole generation of golfers is starting to age out, and their experience and love for the game will be hard to replace.

I stopped in on Archie Baird while I was in Gullane a couple of weeks ago.  He is in his 90's now and can't get out on the golf course anymore, after playing golf virtually 365 days a year into his early 80's.  I've never known anyone who loves golf more than Archie.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 06:21:54 PM »
Jason, I have been blessed with a number of mentors over the years and they are hard to lose. A wise person wrote, "When the pupil is ready the teacher will come." George waved you up,  but you were ready for a mentor. I'm glad you met George. He seems like a decent person.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »
Jason a very nice tribute or George.  Also before we realize it, we are mentors to some we may not actually realize until later in life.  Keep an eye out for those who need help, pay it forward with time great example with George.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Crowley

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 09:22:37 AM »
Jason:

Indeed, a lovely post.

I have lost several of my mentors over the last 3-4 years; it seems like a whole generation of golfers is starting to age out, and their experience and love for the game will be hard to replace.

I stopped in on Archie Baird while I was in Gullane a couple of weeks ago.  He is in his 90's now and can't get out on the golf course anymore, after playing golf virtually 365 days a year into his early 80's.  I've never known anyone who loves golf more than Archie.

Great to hear Archie is still with us. Probably the the most enthusiastic golfer I know.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 10:19:52 AM »
When Mr.Rogers received an Emmy for lifetime achievement he asked the attendees to take ten seconds to remember those who mentored them and helped them become who they are today. When I interviewed prospective course superintendents I asked each of them to tell me who and how they were mentored. One candidate said no one mentored him that he did it all on his own. I felt bad for him because I suspect there were people who could have mentored him.
[/size]
[/size]For my job as pastor I had two great mentors: my Dad and Dr. Goetz. When I was a young pastor I called my Dad and complained about the congregation. Dad stopped me mid-rant; "Don't you ever complain about your congregation to anyone. You're not their to judge them but to serve them." Dr. Goetz reminded me that the The church is the church only when it exists for others and the church is not the regulator of faith but the proclaimer of Good News. I never wandered far from those thoughts.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Hoak

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 10:36:31 AM »
Mentor is a great word, a great title, a great compliment.  It applies to someone who gives of himself or herself in a way they are not obligated to do.  There is no higher praise for someone unrelated to you than to call them a mentor.
In golf, I was mentored by my father--to whom I owe everything.  But a father does it out of love and family responsibility, so it is somewhat expected, although sadly not always given.
But, as importantly, I had an older fellow--65 when I was 25--who mentored me for years in business.  I can never repay what he did for me and gave to me.  But a book on his life was just released, titled appropriately Mentor.

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 12:19:08 AM »
Jason,
Nice post!  I grew up in South Dakota, and on Sunday mornings a group of three of our nine hole golf course’s better players met every week for a round.  For them to welcome me, as a high school kid, to join their group, was extremely kind. One of the three was on the board of education, and ok’d our high school starting a golf team.  Again, an action that was above what would have been considered required. 

Now that I’m as old as those three were,  I try to retain the positivity that I was treated with, so that young players are not turned away from a great game. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back