News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Strulowitz

Cooden Beach Golf Club
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »
Was looking through my picture album of last years UK golf marathon, and could not help but remember this amazing course.

Never heard of it prior to our trip, but it turned out to be a true hidden Gem, and one of the most fun rounds ever.  If you are playing or staying at Rye, or in the area,  please give this course a look, it is just 30 minutes of so to the west.

I found  out this is a James Braid design.  Amazing topography, there were holes that were links-like, parkland like, plus scatterings of gorse and marshland.  Flat holes and mountainous holes,  the variety made every hole interesting.  And to top it all off, a wonderful staff and membership, we felt so welcome.   Apparently, this course sees very few Americans, it is a no-name,  I say it is a must play of you are in the area.

Anyone else play this gem or have some information about its history?   

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Cooden Beach Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »
Eric

Yes when I lived in Hastings in the 1970’s. Actually my brother took me to the place again about 6 or 7 years ago and all seems nearly unchanged, even stayed over at the hotel that time before returning home the next day.

The course or should I say the club in the 70’s was  not to my taste seemed a little more important or so the Committee believed of themselves, but as a course yes I would agree as we returned quite a few time despite the welcome we got way back then. Although I did not get that impression when I was last there with my brother, there was no problems in the club house.

Sorry no history on the club/course as at that time in my life I played golf and not into course history.

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
Eric, a few of us. Are spending the weekend after the Buda Cup in September in Rye. Would iy be worth skipping a round at either Rye or Littlestone to play Cooden Beach?  It does sound intriguing.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:53:48 PM »

I found  out this is a James Braid design.  Amazing topography, there were holes that were links-like, parkland like, plus scatterings of gorse and marshland.  Flat holes and mountainous holes,  the variety made every hole interesting.  And to top it all off, a wonderful staff and membership, we felt so welcome.   Apparently, this course sees very few Americans, it is a no-name,  I say it is a must play of you are in the area.

Anyone else play this gem or have some information about its history?   

I thought it was a Willie Park-Jr design?

Joe Andriole

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:55:10 PM »
I think that the course is a Fowler design

Brian Ross

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »

It was Fowler according to their website...
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 02:16:33 AM »
Eric, a few of us. Are spending the weekend after the Buda Cup in September in Rye. Would iy be worth skipping a round at either Rye or Littlestone to play Cooden Beach?  It does sound intriguing.

Hi Bill,

If you have never played Rye or Littlestone, by all means pass on Cooden Beach.  I have played both these courses more than once, do not regret it at all, they should be on the list of anyone who is in the area.  But in the event you have played these wonderful courses, by all means consider Cooden Beach, you will not regret it at all, it will be a treat to say the least.  And another course I heartily recommend not too far from Rye is Chart Hills, a Nick Faldo design.  The bunkering might drive you nuts, but we found it to be a very challenging and well conditioned venue.

We spent several days in Rye last year,  following long stays in Canterbury and Sandwich.  Rye was the highlight, what an absolutely lovely and hospitable town.    If you still looking for lodging, may I recommend the Durant House.  It is a wonderful B&B, well situated near all the tourist areas of Rye, wonderful hosts, and breakfasts to die for.  And from their backyard, on a clear day, you can see Rye.   Have a blast man!

Eric

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 02:20:23 AM »

Yes, my bad, it was a Fowler design.  Seems whatever research I did on the course, Braids name kept on coming up.  Seems he liked the place a lot, thought highly of it.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 06:13:16 AM »
Back in the day, it was a well known course...I think it had several designers.  Neil Crafter has a great old pic of the course, hope he'll post.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tom MacWood

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »
You might be right about Fowler. Park designed a course called Bexhill, which I thought was the precursor to Cooden Beach. Around 1912 Fowler designed a golf course for Lord de la Warr near Bexhill. Maybe that is the precursor to CB.

I do know Fowler designed the putting course at CB, which was pretty famous. I'm not sure if it still exists. He listed that miniature course on his brochure of designs, but for whatever reason did not list the big course.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 06:46:16 AM »

De La War Pavilion Bexhill

The Model

The Refurbished building circa 2000

And not a golf ball or cart in sight.

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 09:15:16 AM »

Yes, my bad, it was a Fowler design.  Seems whatever research I did on the course, Braids name kept on coming up.  Seems he liked the place a lot, thought highly of it.

There is a rich history in England of a procession of famous architects working on renowned courses.  An example would be Burnham and Berrow, where both Fowler and Colt had a hand in the course's evolution at different times.  It would not have been unusual at all for both Fowler and Braid to have been involved with changes at Cooden Beach.

How far is it from Rye?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 09:49:53 AM »

Bill

The distance is approx  20 Miles – Rye to Hastings circa 12 Miles, Hastings to Bexhill another circa
5 Miles with perhaps 2-3 Miles through Bexhill to Cooden

Then have a look at this link to givening you an aerial view scrool to the right (East for Rye)     
 http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=map+of+Bexhill&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACPW_enGB387&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Bexhill,+East+Sussex&gl=uk&ei=JISxTd6POImwhAfQg7TrCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q8gEwAA

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back