News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JBovay

Short courses between Portrush and Portstewart
« on: July 17, 2019, 11:46:57 AM »
There are two courses and a pitch-and-putt perched on the cliffs between the towns of Portrush and Portstewart. The courses are short (I think at least one is a par-3 course, in addition to the pitch-and-putt) and don't have any bunkers (based on the aerials).

I drove by them, but didn't stop. If I had known about them in advance, I might made time to play them. I cannot imagine a more dramatic setting.

Two questions:

Has anyone played these courses, and are there any truly thrilling shots?

Has there ever been any serious discussion about turning these into proper courses? I don't even mean lengthening the courses or adding par-4s, just improving the shaping.

Padraig Dooley

Re: Short courses between Portrush and Portstewart
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 05:23:14 PM »
The one nearest Portstewart is their 3rd course, par 64 maybe.
The other two closer to Portrush are a 9 hole par 3 and a 9 hole pitch and putt and are owned by the local council, so unlikely that they would be worked on any time shortly.
Pretty good locations for a quick bit of fun.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »
The 'old' Course at Portstewart is about 8 shortish links holes on the clubhouse side of the road. Fun, including a carry over a bay. The hole up the hill and the one down are also fun but the rest are a flog Back and forth across a farmers field. Play when it's quiet and skip the boring holes for a v low fee. £9 last time I played.

Was reminiscing with a cousin last night that those holes were so boring it was another 25 years before each picked up clubs. She even said the Portrush p&p was much better and that we should have played there. 

Why spend money and make it more expensive when it currently does a  great job introducing kids and holidaymakers to golf. Take 1 club and a putter and you'll enjoy it with a friend for about £5each.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 06:05:30 PM »
The 'old' Course at Portstewart is about 8 shortish links holes on the clubhouse side of the road. Fun, including a carry over a bay. The hole up the hill and the one down are also fun but the rest are a flog Back and forth across a farmers field. Play when it's quiet and skip the boring holes for a v low fee. £9 last time I played.

Was reminiscing with a cousin last night that those holes were so boring it was another 25 years before each picked up clubs. She even said the Portrush p&p was much better and that we should have played there. 

Why spend money and make it more expensive when it currently does a  great job introducing kids and holidaymakers to golf. Take 1 club and a putter and you'll enjoy it with a friend for about £5each.

I had 90 minutes yesterday before my tee-time on the Strand course.

So I decided to head out to see the Old course. Not having seen this post beforehand, it was nevertheless exactly what I did: Played 1 to 5 which are made of of some really great links land and some spectacular holes (if only to very simple green shaping), before heading across the road, playing up the hill on 6, then playing 14, down the hill on 15 and back across the road for the links finish, including the very cool 17th. Well worth the £15 rack-rate. I would advise others to do the same if in the area.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 03:34:10 AM »
Thanks Ally. Will bear in mind for the future. There’s also one just west of Portrush town called Ballyreagh.
Atb

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 07:17:23 AM »
Missed this before - I spent a lot of time on these as a kid.

Yes Ballyreagh (council owned as noted above) has the P&P and par 3 course. P&P v basic across one field essentially but the par 3 gets out across the clifftops and has some memorable shots, particularly on the latter half as it comes back to the house on the holes closer to the sea - 30 years at least since I played it but had a few shots across inlets / gullies etc that certainly got the attention of the young me (particularly with the wind blowing, as it invariably was). Fun little track still I'm guessing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back