News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Mark's Book on Emmett is available for purchase
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:09:25 PM »
Our Mark Chalfant, the quiet and humble one, has his book on Devereux Emmetttttttt at this link:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/mark-chalfant/wee-burn/hardcover/product-23907615.html

If you type "LULU10" by the 18th of July, you can save 10%, which should cover shipping or tax.

I met Mark at the Curtis Cup last June, at Quaker Ridge. He introduced me to Gil Hanse, which was cool. Mark and I had a great talk as we walked the property. I purchased the book this evening, and look forward to reading it. It takes faith and courage to put yourself out there in the print world.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:59:49 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tim Martin

Re: Mark's Book on Emmett is available for purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 08:12:35 AM »
Our Mark Chalfant, the quiet and humble one, has his book on Devereux Emmett at this link:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/mark-chalfant/wee-burn/hardcover/product-23907615.html

If you type "LULU10" by the 18th of July, you can save 10%, which should cover shipping or tax.

I met Mark at the Curtis Cup last June, at Quaker Ridge. He introduced me to Gil Hanse, which was cool. Mark and I had a great talk as we walked the property. I purchased the book this evening, and look forward to reading it. It takes faith and courage to put yourself out there in the print world.

RoMo-Emmet has one t and not two. Go to your room.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »
Correction made.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »
What about his first name?  Was it Devereux or Devereaux?

You can find both spellings in the press from back then.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 11:12:16 AM »

Sven-I believe it is Devereux.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 11:14:19 AM »
Correction made.

Like starting a thread about Mickey Mantle and spelling it Mantel. ::)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 11:41:52 AM »

Sven-I believe it is Devereux.

Tim:

I do too.  But it is interesting to plug both versions into newspapers.com and see that you get almost the same number of results for each (Devereaux - 448, Devereux - 609).

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 11:44:41 AM »
More proof of how unreliable newspapers are, but you refuse to understand that.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 11:59:14 AM »
More proof of how unreliable newspapers are, but you refuse to understand that.

Not going to sully this thread on Mark's hard work by continuing this line of conversation here.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »
Mark,

Congrats on the hard copy. I am in and will circle back next week when I am in NYC.

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 02:40:43 PM »
Guys:

Curious how much this book has on Pelham Country Club and if the information dates back to the course before the New England Thruway was built through the property.

Thanks!
Tim Weiman

mark chalfant

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 03:05:40 PM »

Tim,

Pelham is covered thoroughly, before and after, the highway broke through. Quotes by Devereux Emmet and Gene Sarazen about this 1921 golf course are included in the Pelham essay.

In addition, some photos that highlight Pelham's dramatic terrain along with a 1951 aerial (pre I-95) also shed light on this sporty course . Thanks for your interest!

Bernie Bell

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 04:58:05 PM »
is it possible to share table of contents?  I'm particularly interested in Rockville Links and GCGC.

mark chalfant

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 12:39:08 PM »

Mr. Bell,

Garden City is certainly discussed, with keen observations from architect Tom Doak, as well as photos dating from 1902-1915.

Rockville Links, all of 96 acres,  is an extremely important course in Emmet's body of work. A tour de force in bold bunkering and remarkable green complexes. Architect Jim Urbina, who recently restored the golf course explains some details of his artistic/ respectful master plan at Rockville.

How did you discover Rockville?   I hope you enjoy reading the book!

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 02:20:04 PM »
Mark,
Congrats on the hardcover edition, as well!
Count me in!
Fondly,
Mike

Bernie Bell

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 04:27:06 PM »
Thanks Mark.  My friend is a long-time member of RLC.  I love the course and the club.  Can't wait to read your book.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 07:16:53 PM »

Rockville Links, all of 96 acres,  is an extremely important course in Emmet's body of work. A tour de force in bold bunkering and remarkable green complexes. Architect Jim Urbina, who recently restored the golf course explains some details of his artistic/ respectful master plan at Rockville.

How did you discover Rockville?   I hope you enjoy reading the book!

Mark,

The lowest profile course on Long Island? I loved it on the one play, and I am scheduled to re-play in September.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 07:16:49 AM »
Do we miss the forest for the trees?

For those interested, I am certain that Mark spelled the architect's name properly at every opportunity, and I encourage you to purchase the book, if you are so inclined. Mine is on the way.

For those with two first names, like Ricky Bobby, continue your crusade. I had fun at Copake, Leatherstocking, and Troy.

Here's a bit from MC from another site: https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/devereux-emmet-the-naturalist

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

mark chalfant

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 10:41:36 AM »

Mr. Bell and Mike S,

I am glad you are both big fans of  The Rockville Links.  It is eminently walkable, full of charm and has so many unique and interesting holes. Rockville has numerous fascinating short par fours. The sporty duet at the 15th and16th is especially compelling... many exceptional greens too. I always enjoy #2, 3,  7.and 12.

What were some of your favorite holes on this Golden Age beauty?

Mike Sweeney, yes I consider Rockville, Westhampton (Raynor) and Huntington (Emmet and Tull) to be among Long Island's most underappreciated golf courses
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:08:07 AM by mark chalfant »

Rick Lane

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
I've ordered the book and cant wait! 
Is there anything in the book about Ridgewood CC in Danbury CT?  I grew up there, and would love to learn more history....   

Bernie Bell

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 12:04:40 PM »
Mark -
Tough question.  After 3-to-4ish plays I notice and enjoy more about the course each time.  A nice walk.  So many things you won’t see elsewhere – back to back par 5s (7, 8 ) followed by back to back par 3s (9, 10).  A lot of different loops to play fewer than 18 holes.  In my limited experience, I can’t recall anything like hole #16 on a well-regarded course.  Under 300 on the card, but a hard dogleg left, must be close to 90 degrees.  If my ragged memory serves, there’s no way to cut the corner because of trees; tee ball must travel ~180 to clear the dogleg, but runs out of fairway at ~210; LZ is bunkered left and right.  Good tee ball leaves you a wedge into a tightly bunkered green.  I’m not sure how an architectural purist would view the hole, but to me it’s fun and interesting.  I also like that RLC is a short course but finishes with a 3-shot big boy par 5.  And where else is there a veranda where you can watch 18 green as well as three par 3s (5, 9, 10).
Mr. Bell  Bernie, please.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 01:03:52 PM »

Tim,

Pelham is covered thoroughly, before and after, the highway broke through. Quotes by Devereux Emmet and Gene Sarazen about this 1921 golf course are included in the Pelham essay.

In addition, some photos that highlight Pelham's dramatic terrain along with a 1951 aerial (pre I-95) also shed light on this sporty course . Thanks for your interest!

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I placed my order and look forward to seeing the book.

Now let me be greedy. The original Pelham course was developed by a Dr. Fowler on land that includes Fowler Avenue (where I grew up). Topography wise this area offers more than the land where Pelham Country Club was built, IMO.

A while back Neil Regan provided a map circa 1900 that confirmed the location of Dr. Fowler’s course. I would love it if someone could produce the routing.

Thanks again.
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 04:13:04 PM »
Congratulations to Mark.

Starting a book is easy.  Finishing one is not!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 04:40:05 PM »
Congratulations, Mark!

My copy is en route, can't wait to delve into this history. Thanks.
jeffmingay.com

MCirba

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 02:55:34 PM »
Congratulations, Mark!

A vastly underrated architect whose story needs to be preserved and told.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back