News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kohler

Allegheny CC - Sewickley, PA
« on: July 27, 2021, 04:28:26 PM »
During a recent golf trip through Pittsburgh, I had the opportunity to play Allegheny Country Club in the pastoral suburb of Sewickley Heights.  I knew very little about Allegheny going into this round (not much to be found on this discussion board or elsewhere online), but walked away very impressed.  The course is quirky, fun, impeccably maintained and sits in front of a beautiful historic clubhouse.

Similar to Rolling Rock – another Western PA course – it is course with a tale of two nines.  It is an 18 hole Donald Ross routing, updated by Gil Hanse.  The front nine is a quirky, lay of the land routing that has a distinctly Golden Age feel to it (similar to Rolling Rock’s front nine).  The back nine plays into more open fields and was more heavily modified by Hanse, giving it a more modern feel that plays harder but (unlike Rolling Rock) still provides fun, engaging golf design.

I’m a sucker for old-school courses with some quirk, so I preferred the front 9 more – especially the downhill par-3 3rd, short par-4 7th with wild green contours,  and long par-4 9th playing uphill to an infinity green.  Our caddies informed us that the long, uphill par-4 16th was considered the “signature” hole for its toughness and views climbing back to the clubhouse, but I actually preferred the 18th as a tough and scenic hole playing back to the house.  Although there were distinct character differences between the two nines, I found both provided strategic choices, compelling shots and interesting green complexes.  I would be happy to spend my days chasing a ball around Allegheny.

Unfortunately I’m a better golfer than I am photographer (a low bar), so I don’t have pictures to share.  Do others have any insights or experiences here?

Ronald Montesano

Re: Allegheny CC - Sewickley, PA
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 04:58:02 PM »
I couldn't get on. I did get to play three amazing ones (see my signature below) and would love to see ACC down the road. If I'm correct, it is the home club of great amateur Carol Semple Thompson.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Greg Hohman

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 05:26:57 PM »
I have the club history, will report back soon. Bendelow, iirc, was there before Ross.

newmonumentsgc.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »

JohnVDB

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 05:27:07 PM »
I loved Allegheny when I lived in Pittsburgh, if I could be a member of any club there I’d want o be a member there or Fox Chapel, depending on which side of town I lived on.  Allegheny always seemed a friendlier club and with people like Carol Semple Thompson as members it is easy to see why. 

The course is really fun.  I haven’t been there in over 15 years which was well before Gil’s changes, but I remember the course well and can agree with many of Stev’s comments.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 05:09:57 PM »
a few photos from my visit in 2019:

Horses, hounds, stone walls, and the 4th green:
IMG_7340 by cory lewis, on Flickr

10th Hole:
10th hole:
IMG_7378 by cory lewis, on Flickr

14th and 15th holes:
14th and 15th holes:
IMG_7362 by cory lewis, on Flickr
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Greg Hohman

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 09:30:37 PM »
 The club started in Allegheny City, today’s North Side of Pittsburgh.

“Having acquired the Walker property, the Allegheny founders proceeded to lay out six golf holes. This took place over the last few months of 1894 and first few months of 1895. Officially, the first golf course at Allegheny was designed by Sam Tucker, a well-known Scottish golfer at St. Andrews Golf Club in New York. It is just as certain that John Moorhead and some of his friends were deeply involved.

By the end of 1896 the course was a full nine holes. Few pictures of that golf course remain today…”

The club relocated to Sewickley Heights, opening in 1902 with an 18-hole golf course designed by Tom Bendelow.

“Beginning in 1911, however, the Club began a long relationship with golf architect, Donald Ross. He was consulted on a number of occasions to revise or change the course.”

“Holes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 9 remain essentially the same.”

“The Club acquired the Childs property in 1915, which permitted the development of what are now holes 6, 7, and 8. They were designed by Donald Ross. The Sutton property was purchased in 1922 and permitted the development of holes 10 and 11. The last big change took place in 1946 when the back seven holes were redeveloped and the layouts of holes 14, 15, 16, and 17 were finalized.”

Excerpts from “The History of Allegheny Country Club: The First One Hundred Years” (1995) by Richard E. Spatz. It contains drawings of the original course, 1906, 1924 and 1994.

The layout appears on a 1934 map created by one L. G. Molyneaux. (I have a copy.) The map’s purpose is to memorialize the estates of the day. Most of the largest ones are gone. Several adjoined the golf course. Any still standing?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:38:42 PM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Mike Feeney

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 07:15:05 AM »
I just played Allegheny.
From a GCA perspective, it is fantastic...variety, rolling terrain, & interesting green complexes.

However, course is being dramatically over-irrigated.  Balls making plug marks in fairway, mushy greens. We were unaccompanied and didn't feel it was polite to complain.
What a shame -- the architecture is begging for firm & fast and Super is delivering the exact opposite.
For New Englanders, imagine Worcester, Myopia, Winchester, Essex, or Whitinsville being drenched, via irrigation, in the Summer.
Would love an explanation by anyone in the know

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back