News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Clubs that spell the Architect’s name wrong
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:10:51 PM »
Why can’t clubs big and small spell Devereux Emmet’s name correctly on their websites and print promotional material? I’ve come across two websites in the last month that have it wrong with both adding an extra t at the end as in “Emmett”. Dev deserves better.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:30:52 PM by Tim Martin »

Greg Chambers

Re: Club’s that spell the Architect’s name wrong
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 08:20:46 PM »
In both of your uses of the word “club’s” you use it as a plural, and not a possessive.  Ironic.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tim Martin

Re: Club’s that spell the Architect’s name wrong
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 08:26:45 PM »
In both of your uses of the word “club’s” you use it as a plural, and not a possessive.  Ironic.

Greg-I’m happy to get Dev’s name correct. ;D

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Clubs that spell the Architect’s name wrong
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 09:02:50 PM »
I played a course in Ohio, maybe twenty years ago that spelled it Devanoe Emmit on the scorecard. I mentioned something to the pro, who thought I was wrong.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 09:13:58 PM »
The misspelling is widespread, and it's made by people/publications who should probably know better.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Scott Sander

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 04:51:36 AM »
How 'bout Bill Diddel.

I see it spelled 'le' more often than not.
There's also creek 'named' after him in Parke County, Indiana.  Spelled Bill Diddle.
He's in the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame as... Bill Diddle. (At least the web version. I think the plaque is right.) https://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/bill-diddle/?back=HallofFame2

It's grating because he was such an incredibly accomplished person - prolific GCA, killer tournament golfer, and one of the most accomplished basketball players in a state that's pretty proud of its basketball players.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 05:09:14 AM »
What about Golf Architecture Internet Forums that do the same?

Like consistently.

Ron Prichard. NOT Ron Pritchard.

The best misspelling I've seen was in a survey here: "Tim Dukes needs to learn how to design golf courses for women."

I'm sure he does.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 07:39:25 AM »
What about Golf Architecture Internet Forums that do the same?

Like consistently.

Ron Prichard. NOT Ron Pritchard.

I've got a pal called Prichard. This drives him mad!

Prichard is a diminuation of the old Welsh name ap Richard, meaning son of Richard.

So now you know!  :)

V. Kmetz

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 08:10:40 AM »
I played a course in Ohio, maybe twenty years ago that spelled it Devanoe Emmit on the scorecard. I mentioned something to the pro, who thought I was wrong.

I can't remember where, but long ago, I saw the first and last names reversed AND misspelled...

Emmitt Devereaux

It was so ingrained from that first wave, that I believed there were two separate architects
cheers  vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 08:22:53 AM »

Years ago, when Golf Digest finally mentioned my name, somehow "Keffy Bauer" got past their spell checkers and into print.

Last week at ASGCA, a few members still jokingly addressed me that way.  Combining this and the Bill Buckner/Long Memories thread, it is easy to see what gets remembered long term.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back