News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: A course you 'can play every day'...until you can't!
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 10:32:25 PM »
There a number of courses I could play on a regular basis. The European Club fits that for me. When I go to Ireland I rarely play anywhere else anymore. I spent three days at Hidden Creek in NJ last week and played six rounds. I doubt I could ever tire of the course.

Tommy--

I wrote a more detailed response to this and managed to delete it inadvertently.  I basically said, like Tom D. about the Ocean Course, I didn't expect the EC to be in this conversation.  I played in a gale that had the ferries shut down.  Before I went out I chatted with a member who played on some tour who said it was beyond competitive standards.  We tried it, ran for cover, and went back out when conditions were less severe and finished.  Afterwards, Pat R. chatted with our group and I told him I thought his course was too much for my game on calm day.  This was some years ago when I was playing my best.  That you'd like to play this course daily, I bow in respect to my golfing superiors.  You are my hero.    [size=78%]   [/size]

Dave, I was there for a week last November. One day I played about 45 holes. I went from 17 green to 11 tee about a five times and played that little loop. TEC can beat you up if you're crooked off the tee, but Pat has cut down some of the long grass and finding the ball is much easier than in years past. I know the course doesn't get a lot of love here but I just love it. Two years ago I brought my wife.  She had never played the course. After a few days I asked her if she want to play somewhere else. "No!" was her emphatic answer. That was fine with me. The challenge and beauty are mesmerizing. I moved up a set of tees last year and the course became more playable again for me. At 72 I just can't hit it as long as I think I can.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 10:55:40 PM »
Is the grass always greener on the other golf course?
I watch Portrush and I think: Now there's a course I could play every day'. And I look at Ballyneal and think the same thing, and also with NGLA, and Prairie Dunes, and two or three of Sean's inland English courses. Is it just because I *don't* play those courses every day (or even once) that I think that?

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 02:36:43 AM »
No Peter, be fair to yourself.

Each of the course that you actually name have to be the creme de la creme as far as invigorating, exciting and plain fun (playing off sensible tees) golf is concerned. The ones you mention would have to be almost anyones dream re playing again and again and again. Portrush is an absolute gem as far as I can see and the members are now going to have an even greater rush of players clogging it up!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Dave McCollum

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »
There a number of courses I could play on a regular basis. The European Club fits that for me. When I go to Ireland I rarely play anywhere else anymore. I spent three days at Hidden Creek in NJ last week and played six rounds. I doubt I could ever tire of the course.

Tommy--

I wrote a more detailed response to this and managed to delete it inadvertently.  I basically said, like Tom D. about the Ocean Course, I didn't expect the EC to be in this conversation.  I played in a gale that had the ferries shut down.  Before I went out I chatted with a member who played on some tour who said it was beyond competitive standards.  We tried it, ran for cover, and went back out when conditions were less severe and finished.  Afterwards, Pat R. chatted with our group and I told him I thought his course was too much for my game on calm day.  This was some years ago when I was playing my best.  That you'd like to play this course daily, I bow in respect to my golfing superiors.  You are my hero.    [size=78%]   [/size]

Dave, I was there for a week last November. One day I played about 45 holes. I went from 17 green to 11 tee about a five times and played that little loop. TEC can beat you up if you're crooked off the tee, but Pat has cut down some of the long grass and finding the ball is much easier than in years past. I know the course doesn't get a lot of love here but I just love it. Two years ago I brought my wife.  She had never played the course. After a few days I asked her if she want to play somewhere else. "No!" was her emphatic answer. That was fine with me. The challenge and beauty are mesmerizing. I moved up a set of tees last year and the course became more playable again for me. At 72 I just can't hit it as long as I think I can.

Maybe just the my day there.  Literally blowing 40+ mph gusts.  I like to think I can factor in conditions and the emotions caused by my game and be somewhat objective about a course.  I thought it was a very difficult challenge under any circumstance.  I should admit that on my sole trip to Ireland I played or toured two other of Mr. Rudy's courses--Sandy Hills and Glasheedy 

Dave McCollum

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
Sorry, my post disappeared again and got posted mid-stream.  I don't post much and am probably both incompetent and senile.  Anyway...I found all of the Rudy courses I encountered to be difficult.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'd just rather have fun playing golf in my dwindling years and not have to be reminded of the shots I used to be able to hit that are not part of my current menu choices.  You are not really my golfing hero, Tommy, because we've never met.  You are a poster I've enjoyed reading over the years and someone I imagined that could really play at some point in your journey.  Maybe it's a good thing a couple of my posts disappeared because I seem to remember typing "golfing deity" at some point.  I'm more mystical about golf than anything else, but I'll never win any spiritual merit badges for anything.  I'm way out of my league when talking about such things.

Daryl David

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2019, 07:57:34 PM »
I have a hard time separating the critique of Mr. Rudy’s courses from the man himself. He is such a fine man and great character in the world of golf, that I am hesitant to criticize his designs. I just feel so fortunate to have been able to play his courses and to have spent some time with him on a few occasions. I’d happily play one of his courses every day if along with that came the chance to hang with him.

John Emerson

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2019, 09:04:49 PM »
I’m sure some will laugh...a course I could play every day for the rest of my life....Kilspindie or Crail.  I’d be content with either
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Dave McCollum

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 09:10:01 PM »
Seemed like a gentleman to me.  I meant no disrespect.  That his courses seemed too difficult for me reflects upon my game, as a crappy golfer, not his skills as a designer or an interesting character.  I loved seeing him take folks on course tour in his Mercedes, the only sensible transport on that blustery day, and one I've used myself in similar conditions.  He was very generous with his time for some visiting Yanks.   

James Brown

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »
Bandon Dunes Resort

To all the other people who have said I am crazy to list the Ocean Course at Kiawah as a play every day course, I will say Bandon has been super fun but also super exhausting every time.  I have only been there for two different weeks in July but the wind was just relentless at 15-20 mph every day from the north and it just wore me out to the pint where after 4 days of golf I was ready for a break. 

Ken Moum

Re: A course you 'can play every day'...until you can't! New
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2019, 10:37:02 PM »
I’m sure some will laugh...a course I could play every day for the rest of my life....Kilspindie or Crail.  I’d be content with either

I agree, completely.

I would add Brora, and maybe one or two others like these three.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:42:19 PM by Ken Moum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Thomas Dai

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2019, 03:36:21 AM »
Himalayas at St Andrews?
atb

Conley Hurst

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 10:07:50 AM »
I'd have to have a course that strikes the right balance between quirky fun and challenge. Too much in either direction, and I feel like I would get bored. Maybe that's just my definition of a great course.

Merion, Royal St. George's, Sunningdale Old all come to mind as almost perfect balances.

Elie or Huntercombe would veer to much in the fun direction. Sunningdale New, Winged Foot West, Pine Valley might veer too much in the challenge direction. Over time, they'd just wear me out.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »
I agree with David Kelly, If Rustic Canyon was the only place I could play I would be a very happy camper! Coronado GC is kept deliciously dry, has excellent variety, a fabulous setting and I play for $18.75 a round on their 80 round ticket; but I still long for variety.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back