News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emile Bonfiglio

2019 Lido Winner
« on: May 09, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jeff Schley

Re: 2019 Lido Winner
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 04:52:55 PM »
Wow I'm impressed.  Such artwork really.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 07:21:00 PM »
He's talented. I am proud to have been the judge that got the ball rolling :)

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 12:57:42 AM »
Pretty humble guy.  BTW to architects that run their own biz, what job could he do if he doesn't visit the site?
We asked Hurdus the obvious question: Why in the world isn’t he in the golf course design business. Obviously, several golf course architects recognize that he possesses a great deal of talent.“It doesn’t seem like the right career move for me,” Hurdus says. “I’m in a long term relationship with my girlfriend, Jessica Weaver, and I just don’t want to be away from home for months at a time, which is what you have to do if you’re going to be successful at designing and building golf courses.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 08:48:44 AM »
There are 100s of things! It's a business endeavor...it's not just site visits, moving soil, fine tuning edges and making routing decisions in the field. Wish it were, but it's not.

At our small consultancy we have a vast library (and not just pretty books with great writing about GCA...there are also a century worth of plant, agronomic and landscaping references, fence detail books, architectural standards and civil engineering text books); an archive of more than 7,000 plans and aerials dating back to the 1940s (from Jack Snyder and his work, then mine c.1980s); bookkeeping; and a host of other files, records, and "to do" stacks.

In between all this we answer calls, talk with people about potential projects, create concept plans, attend symposiums (ASGCA, USGA, etc.), and tend to the wonderful clients and clubs who have trusted us with remaining as "their GCA".
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 07:05:02 AM »
I am surprised the winner was picked from such an informal presentation.  Good trend if it continues.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:06:34 AM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »
Pretty humble guy.  BTW to architects that run their own biz, what job could he do if he doesn't visit the site?
We asked Hurdus the obvious question: Why in the world isn’t he in the golf course design business. Obviously, several golf course architects recognize that he possesses a great deal of talent.“It doesn’t seem like the right career move for me,” Hurdus says. “I’m in a long term relationship with my girlfriend, Jessica Weaver, and I just don’t want to be away from home for months at a time, which is what you have to do if you’re going to be successful at designing and building golf courses.

Well, he’s actually right.  Lots of people have good design ideas, but the ones who succeed have to go and ensure their designs are coming out on the ground.  I have traveled 150 days per year (and sometimes more) to do this, and I doubt anyone you’d care to name as successful has done much less.  Kudos to him if he has other priorities, and sticks to them.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 10:46:21 PM »
I had no idea this contest still existed. Congratulations to it for surviving. I suspect that it will one day be known as the "Redesign" rather than the "Original" hole contest.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »
Revisiting this topic given the 2022 edition of the Ray Haddock / Lido Prize results were recently announced.

Cameron Hurdus (now an integral part of The Fried Egg) was again a finalist, after having won three times previously!

Curious what GCAers make of the five selected finalists for this year.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-lido-competition-2022
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 10:50:33 PM »
I’d gladly play them all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back