News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Re: It Was Worthy of Long Memory...
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 01:12:51 PM »
Well said.

Seriously ?!

Tom

Good stuff. Still got the Tiger-tinted spectacles on I see.  ;D

As someone who also likes to use the odd emotive word and a bit of hyperbole on occasion, I tip my hat to you. The phrase “surgically dismantled” is a belter but what exactly does it mean in the context of a non-contact sport where everyone plays their own ball ?

“Flawless golf” – another good one. Maybe you can take me through the flawless way he tried to play safe with his tee shot at 12 (quite rightly IMHO) and tugged it to leave a long putt that he then left 7 or 8 feet short. Or maybe you could remind me of his flawless bogey at the last hole that included ricochets through the trees with both his tee shot and second ? Woods played a lot of impressive shots, but flawless he wasn’t.

As for the greatest golfer ever, he wasn’t there. He was probably back at home, sitting on the sofa with Barbara, watching the event on TV. And I actually agree that it will be good to see Woods against the next/current generation (not that I’ve been waiting for it) but let’s not forget this Masters wasn’t the first instalment. Just last year Woods got himself up at the top of the leader board in the final round at Carnoustie only to crumble like a choking dog (told you I could do hyperbole  ;) ) while his playing partner comprehensively out played him. 

Niall
While Tiger didn't play flawless golf on the back nine he did play well.  After a nice birdie on 8 and great chip on 9, he hit a poor drive on 10 and lucky to have it only cost him 1 shot.  11 another terrible drive right, but scrambled wonderfully there.  That was a very key hole to make par from where he was. Then I have no problem with him hitting to the middle of the green on 12 knowing Molinari had already rinsed their tee shots.  Great par putt there on 12 btw.

On 13 it looked like he slipped on his tee shot a little and was maybe fortunate to avoid the trees, but ended in a great position. Made birdie with a good lag eagle putt. 

On 15 hit a good drive to give himself a good angle to hit it to onto the green which was very well executed as a pressure shot and leaves 15 as the outright leader.
16 shot speaks for itself.
17 he plays wonderfully as well and almost made another birdie from 10 feet.
Granted 18 he pushed his 3 wood right and had tree trouble, but he was up by 2 and afterwards said he knew it.  So he adjusted his game there which I commend him on. It was a tough approach and he hit a bad shot there, but got in for 5 after a pretty good chip there.
What was flawless was Molinari's play on the front 9!  Very impressive making all the tough clutch putts!  Loved watching it live and congrats to him making it all the way back. Maybe not flawless, but they still give you a green jacket as long as you have the lowest score.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 01:30:33 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I agree, Woods did play very well and thoroughly deserved the win. Just trying to temper some of the hype.

Niall

Jeff Schley

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 01:59:12 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I agree, Woods did play very well and thoroughly deserved the win. Just trying to temper some of the hype.

Niall
Certainly everyone is on a high that Tiger is back and I am one of them as well.  With his iron play and short game being so good still, if he has a week where he drives it decently and makes his putts inside 7 feet he will be tough.  However, I am not convinced the driving or short putting is all the way back and will lead to some disappointments.  The poor driving he can get over as we have seen, but missing those short putts he cannot.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

David Kelly

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
As for the greatest golfer ever, he wasn’t there.
The greatest golfer ever is buried in Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta, Georgia.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

James Brown

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 08:04:40 PM »
As for the greatest golfer ever, he wasn’t there.
The greatest golfer ever is buried in Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta, Georgia.

+1.

But he never won the Masters!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back