News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Butler

Jockey Club Buenos Aires
« on: April 12, 2019, 11:28:00 AM »
I was fortunate recently to play the Jockey Club Red Course with two members.  I loved the Shell's Wonderful World of Golf series and brought with me the 1962 program with the match between de Vicenzo and Souchak at the Jockey Club.  The Shell's show would be the first filming of the course and the two members would like very much to have a copy of it, as well as the other match in Buenos Aires, the 1970 match at Ranelagh Golf Club.  In addition, there were GCA postings in 2018 by Thomas Dai and Mike DeVries about a 1930's aerial of the Jockey Club course.  The aerial was not accessible on those postings and the two members would appreciate your reposting this.  They are studying Mackenzie's work at the Jockey Club and the evolution of the course.  Please help us if you can with how to acquire the two Shell's programs and viewing the course aerial.  Thanks.

Thomas Dai

Re: Jockey Club Buenos Aires
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 11:42:38 AM »
John,
Great to hear that you’ve played the JC courses, something I’d like to do for sure, and of the local MacKenzie interest you mention.
Not sure why the overhead that I posted for Mike nor the photos with his comments have disappeared from this thread - [size=78%]http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42257.0.html[/size]
See PM also.
Atb

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 05:36:45 AM »
John

I might be able to get you a copy of Mac's plan for JC. He published a few of his Argentine course plans in one of the UK golf mags and I have some photos of them. Not great quality photos but if your guys don't have a copy of the original they will certainly help. If you message me with your email I'll send them over.

Dai

Thanks for the link to the previous thread which I don't think I saw first time round. Love the photos, particularly of the double green at the 9th/18th. Basically the same idea as one of his double greens at Duff House Royal.

Niall

John Butler

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:38:19 AM »
Niall, yes, I would appreciate your sending me the photos of Mackenzie's plan for the Jockey Club.  I've messaged you with my email address.  Thank you.

Thomas Dai

Re: Jockey Club Buenos Aires New
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »
Hope you got the overheads and photo okay. Post them for posterity if you can.
Atb

Plan of the two Jockey Club courses and a current day satellite view below. Also coloured old b&w photo of Alister Mackenzie and his assistant in South America Luther Koontz.

Below is a photo of the JC-Blue course 7th hole which some apparently consider to resemble the 16th at ANGC.
Mind the 16th at ANGC used to the 7th and when built was totally different. Maybe the JC-B-7th comparison should be with the original ANGC 7th/16th and the Stoke Park hole it was supposedly inspired by?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:55:33 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back