News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

(OT) New requirements for entry into Ireland
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:46:22 AM »
I arrived in Ireland this past Wednesday. I had some difficulty entering the country. The customs official told me that I now need a letter of approval to be handed over to the immigration official. I knew nothing about this. Beginning April 1 Americans will no longer be able to be "volunteers" but need approved documentation. Fortunately I was not turned away. This my 12th trip to Irelqnd and previously was welcomed with open arms. This time it was a tad different.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/launch-notice-for-preclearance-scheme-for-de-facto-partners-of-critical-skills-employment-permit-holders-(csep)-and-de-facto-partners-of-non-eea-researchers-on-a-hosting-agreement
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jon Wiggett

Re: (OT) New requirements for entry into Ireland
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 03:44:32 AM »

Tommy,

if you are planning to work then most countries require some form of approval document. If it is just for a none working visit then you can just rock up.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 06:46:21 AM »
Jon, that wasn't the case. The official was very adamant. Regardless of why, I needed a letter of permission.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:05:27 AM »
So your visit wasn't work related? As Jon mentioned you don't need a visa if you are just visiting. I was there last week too and my wife (who's American) had no issues.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/check-irish-visa
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 07:11:27 AM »
Tommy, in your OP you refer to previously having been able to be "volunteers".  That does suggest this was not a purely social visit and that some work, even if unpaid, is involved?

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 07:27:08 AM »
Tommy

I'm also a bit confused as to why there would be a problem if you were pitching up for a holiday. For instance who would the letter of permission be from  ?

Niall

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
Agree - I was in Oxford, UK in 2016 for 4 days of work, and I needed to provide an official document from my employer stating that I was there for a defined period.   

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:17:31 AM »
Tommy

I'm also a bit confused as to why there would be a problem if you were pitching up for a holiday. For instance who would the letter of permission be from  ?

Niall

I was also confused. I was told I had to get permission from the dept of justice. Normally getting through customs was easy and quick. Each person in line had long conversations with the officials. I am still confused.
St. John of the Cross

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 09:23:37 AM »
Tommy -

Did you tell the customs official your were there for a vacation/holiday? (to play golf, I assume)

DT
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:26:38 AM by David_Tepper »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »
I came this time to spend a couple weeks at a monastery. I told him I come every year to play golf and make a retreat.
St. John of the Cross

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 09:30:51 PM »
I came this time to spend a couple weeks at a monastery. I told him I come every year to play golf and make a retreat.

Perhaps as a minister he assumed you meant a monastary was for work? (which begs the question of permission from WHOM :) )
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:37:57 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 06:35:30 AM »
Beginning April 1 Americans will no longer be able to be "volunteers" but need approved documentation.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/launch-notice-for-preclearance-scheme-for-de-facto-partners-of-critical-skills-employment-permit-holders-(csep)-and-de-facto-partners-of-non-eea-researchers-on-a-hosting-agreement

Tommy,

As I am traveling to Ireland on a golf holiday in June, I looked at this closer. It appears that the new policy is for 90+ days:

"Under the new scheme, non-visa required nationals intending to travel to Ireland for longer than 90 days to join their De Facto Partner on a CSEP or Hosting Agreement, must be able to present a ‘Preclearance Letter of Approval’ to an Immigration Officer when they arrive at the port of entry, otherwise they will not be permitted entry to the State."

It appears you got caught up in some Irish Nóinín (nonsense).

Time for a Guinness.

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 09:04:46 AM »
Beginning April 1 Americans will no longer be able to be "volunteers" but need approved documentation.

Tommy,

As I am traveling to Ireland on a golf holiday in June, I looked at this closer. It appears that the new policy is for 90+ days:

"Under the new scheme, non-visa required nationals intending to travel to Ireland for longer than 90 days to join their De Facto Partner on a CSEP or Hosting Agreement, must be able to present a ‘Preclearance Letter of Approval’ to an Immigration Officer when they arrive at the port of entry, otherwise they will not be permitted entry to the State."

It appears you got caught up in some Irish Nóinín (nonsense).

Time for a Guinness.

Thanks Mike. I sure hope you're right. We don't need another layer of bureaucracy. Maybe I got the immigration officer on a bad day. He hassled a bunch of folks. I hope to return in October to play a little golf.
By the way, there is no Guinness in this Cistercian (Trappist) monastery. They are ascetics after all.  :)
St. John of the Cross

Jay Mickle

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
Seems a bit suspicious to me that someone would go to Ireland and actually plan to not drink Guinness. Surprised that they let you in at all.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 02:46:34 AM »
Indeed, Ireland without Guinness is like Mass without Holy Wine!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 03:43:27 AM »
No Guinness but we sure do eat potatoes, normally two kinds at both noon and evening meals. The other day I refused potatoes when I was served. The monk serving me was astounded. "Are you sure?" I forgot that potatoes like Hurling is a national pastime.
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back