News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Katona

Re: The Hooper Story
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 12:23:28 PM »
Welcome aboard & good luck!

Peter Bowman

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
My daughter is an assistant tournament director for Women's Golf in New Hampshire.  My input to her would be to put Hooper on the map for events, acknowledging the lack of a practice tee before play.  Emphasis would be on the architecture offered by Stiles and Van Kleek, and make the ladies aware of golf design when many played with hickory shafts, and driving ranges were not in existance!
That would be awesome, Willy.  Hooper is perfect for playing hickories, too.  I bought a set of Tad Moore's about 3 or 4 years ago and my game quickly improved after learning to hit those.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 07:41:33 AM »
Remember the days when the Pro ran the Pro Shop ?  If you wanted to hit a few balls before play he would give you a few balls, send you to a spot near the first tee and say "hit away, we'll pick them up later".

He might even give you a few comments on your swng !

Peter Bowman

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 08:01:46 AM »
Remember the days when the Pro ran the Pro Shop ?  If you wanted to hit a few balls before play he would give you a few balls, send you to a spot near the first tee and say "hit away, we'll pick them up later".

He might even give you a few comments on your swng !
We still do that.  No pro there anymore but we have a lot of "salvaged" balls to hit into the woods on 1 tee.  Doubtful the girls in the pro shop are qualified to help with the swing though :(

Scott Senior

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
Having played Hooper some years ago, being an interested golfer at Vermont Academy, Saxtons River, Vt, class of 1947, I can still remember many of its characteristic holes and views.  We played some matches there years after I graduated.

Thanks much to you New Englanders for keeping good memories alive !

I believe Berkshire School played there 40 years later (Class of 1987) as well!!!  I checked their schedule this season and it doesn't look like they are making a trip up there this spring. Great memories...the golf and the van rides, etc.!!

Peter Bowman

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2019, 10:37:14 AM »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:45:24 AM by Peter Bowman »

Peter Bowman

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2019, 05:08:25 PM »
Image may contain: tree, grass, sky, outdoor and natureI'm excited to say our official new sign and logo have been posted today!

Scott Senior

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2019, 05:21:15 PM »
Peter,

This is such a great feel good story. Keep us up to date...good stuff!

Cheers,
Scott

Peter Bowman

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 05:26:14 PM »
thank you Scott!  I'm in the middle of trying to upload some low-res photos that don't require links.  I've taken hundreds of great ones over the past few years

Peter Bowman

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
No photo description available.

Peter Bowman

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 05:26:54 PM »

Peter Bowman

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2019, 05:27:14 PM »

Peter Bowman

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 05:28:05 PM »
Image may contain: people standing, tree, grass, sky, outdoor and nature

Peter Bowman

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »
https://scontent.fbed1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/56786261_1182082761962776_9090982809576669184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=a1e7d6cf7f1d5a2bef4842d4ffedc910&oe=5D3325F0

Peter Bowman

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 05:40:17 PM »
No more ugly fir trees in the way!https://scontent.fbed1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41853871_1050618218442565_820023910958366720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=dbdef4269f94be5f30ca20dcd75484b6&oe=5D3941F5

Bob Brightly

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »
Peter, congrats and best of luck going forward. Do you have any information on how the course got the name?

Peter Bowman

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2019, 06:50:14 AM »
Peter, congrats and best of luck going forward. Do you have any information on how the course got the name?

Good question, Bob.  Hooper GC is unusual enough a name to raise a few eyebrows and ask “WHY would people name it that?”

There’s a mansion built in the 1860s (I could be wrong on this decade) on the property that used to be known as Watkins Tavern, a place for dinner and drinks on the porch and enjoy the view of the Connecticut River valley beyond the farm on the property.  It was owned by a man named George L Hooper.  I’m told my great great grandfather, C. W. Houghton was good friends with him and he helped write the Hooper Trust.  When Hooper passed, he donated his property to the people of Walpole.  The following is an excerpt from the Hooper GC webpage

George Levi Hooper’s will left his property at the top of Prospect Hill Road, known as Meeting House Farm, to the Town of Walpole. The trust he established stipulated that an institute be formed to provide programs in the fields of agriculture, forestry, botany, soils and environmental science for Walpole’s youth. A new Colonial-style building, The Hooper Institute, was built on the site of the old meeting house, across the street from the old Watkins Tavern.
The Hooper Golf Club (named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. George L. Hooper) was formed June 26, 1926. The club proposed to the selectmen (Trustees of the Trust) to lease part of the property to build a golf course. A special meeting was held July 10, 1926, and the proposal accepted.The old Watkins Tavern became the clubhouse when the course officially opened at 10:00 am July 2, 1927. Dinner was served at the clubhouse to 130 guests, who then danced away the evening. Recently, Ron Whitten, Golf Digest Architecture Editor, ranked the Hooper Golf Course as number 11 on his list of the twenty-five best 9-hole golf courses in America.”

My grandfather used to say I’m a descendant of George Hooper, but I don’t recall the details.  I’m not a born native of Walpole, but my roots go deeeeeep back to about 1820.  I had the misfortune of growing up in Stockton, CA, but I was fortunate that my grandfather decided to buy and rebuild his grandmother’s dilapidated Victorian mansion in 1983.  It belonged to her father-in law, C.W. Houghton.  I visited almost every year.  He got me hooked on golf at 15 at Hooper and I’ve been golfing ever since.  Sad thing is my dad was a golf course Super and now he’s in turf supply sales, and I just couldnt gain interest in golfing at his courses he worked for.  But something about Hooper was very different

Fast forward 22 years and I love and practice dentistry in Walpole like I always wanted.  Not only own a share of the course I love so dearly, but I own the mansion now, and my wife and I are making improvements to it before we move in and sell our current house.  That’s 7 generations in my family that have had the privilege to visit the house and 6 generations to live in it. 

Talk about dreams coming true!

paul westland

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 07:16:44 PM »
Peter!   Golf @ Hooper has always been magical...I was a member @75th anniversary year...and will be present tomorrow the 29th, at Noon, for a spin around the swales...I live in Swanzey and hope to speak with you in near future.  The two par three holes are classy challenges... bestest...p

Peter Bowman

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2019, 10:00:22 PM »
Hi Paul. The most likely times to see me at Hooper is Fri, Sat or Sunday AM, early.
We’re only 2 weeks into the year and it seems to be a very promising season for Hooper, with possibilities of turning a profit in year 1.  I’ve seen many unfamiliar faces (to me) on the course so far.  I know that a lot of women are excited to play too.  2 years ago I made the decision to actively promote golf at Hooper to women by offering lessons to beginners.  Word is getting around and I’m seeing more and more women on the course now.  The great things is they all know Tom,st faster groups play through.  Win-win!

We are also VERY excited to have a few very big name visitors this year. 

Come join us for the Hooper renaissance celebration on May 18.  We’re hosting a 8am 9 hole scramble followed by an afternoon of festivities and food and competitions for the local kids

Tim Martin

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2019, 08:03:48 AM »
I had a fun day at Hooper yesterday. Got around in less than three hours and enjoyed the golf course. The site is loaded with plenty of land movement and you definitely get eased into the round with number one being a half par hole listed at 456 on the card. I’ll leave for others to argue whether it’s the best starting hole in golf and l would like to go back as the water table is high everywhere in New England and the course played wet. Would love to see the bank of trees to the right of 3 tee get culled but no other criticism. The vibe is low key and the staff couldn’t have been nicer. Best of luck going forward.

Peter Bowman

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2019, 02:36:23 PM »
https://m.facebook.com/Hooper-Golf-Course-1188241827969190/videos

I thought I’d share the Facebook video page for Hooper which has 3 or 4 drone flyover videos I’ve made in the past 6 weeks.  You don’t need a FB account to see them.  I believe the link should show it.  I shared one with Ran M a few weeks ago and he was enthused for his upcoming visit to Hooper.

This Saturday Hooper is holding the Hooper Renaissance Celebration with the public to promote the course and its history as we seek to revive it to its glory days.  It is my pleasure not have Ran as my guest of honor. 

Check out the videos and let me know what you think.  They’re not bad for amateur work.
The resolution seems to vary from each viewing device 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 02:38:31 PM by Peter Bowman »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2022, 03:58:58 PM »
Peter and others:
How much effort should one make to see Hooper?  I'll be about an hour away in mid-June, but with a pretty tight schedule (including some already planned golf) so I'd need a really good reason to pull away.  Also won't be my last time in New Hampshire over the next several years. . . .
Thanks,
Carl
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 10:25:21 AM by Carl Nichols »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2022, 04:56:26 PM »

Peter and others:
How much effort should one make to see Hooper?  I'll be about an hour away in mid-June, but with a pretty tight schedule (including some already planned golf) so I'd need a really good reason to pull away.  Also won't be my last time in New Hampshire over the next several years. . . .
Thanks,
Carl
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Cal Seifert

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2022, 05:02:19 PM »
I drove over from the Cliff House in Maine. Took about 2 and a half hours each way. I definitely recommend it. I am a sucker for old school New England courses. Played it twice. I loved the opening 3 holes, each very different. 1 is a big downhill par 5, maybe my favorite opening tee shot I've played. 2 is a straight away par 4 to a fairway with crazy undulations. 3 is another par 4 that is short in distance and calls for a really accurate aerial shot to hit the green.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2022, 10:24:56 AM »

Peter and others:
Thanks,
Carl

Thanks Ron. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back