News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Bowman

The Hooper Story
« on: April 10, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »
This is my second day on GolfClubAtlas and my first post/topic ever.  I am honored to be apart of this group.  I could tell a long story about me and my affiliation with a golf course I just bought/invested in with a number of other locals, Hooper Golf Course, but I will keep it brief as I can for now and I can share details if people show interest.  This will be a long post and will exceed teh 2000 character limit, so I will make multiple posts to get the story down.

BACKGROUND: Hooper Golf Course is in my small town called Walpole, NH.  It was formerly known as Hooper Golf Club since 1927 until recently.  Hooper was designed by Wayne Stiles and John Van Kleek.  My great great grandfather had a heavy hand in writing and forming the Hooper Trust, which included the golf course and an agricultural institute across the street for high school students interested in farming careers.  The profits from the golf course were designed to feed the interest-bearing trust that the Institute benefited from.
In 2010, the state of NH Attorney General's office claimed the club failed to pay adequate property taxes for so long, forcing the "club" and board to cease and for the course to be sold to a private buyer or group.  The appraisal price (and required sale price) was around $1.2M.  The townspeople were able to raise a significant chunk of money to put the course and surrounding property in conservation easement to keep the property from commercial and residential development, thereby lowering the sale price by a few hundred grand, leaving the price at $739,500.  For years there was no buyer.  The course continued to be maintained by volunteers, wage workers, and paying members.  Someone was able to get the state-required sale price down to $500,000.  Still 2 or 3 years went by with no buyer. 

Last April a gentleman (we'll call him Mr. D) in town bought the property, which included the 50-acre course, 50 acres of woodlands, an old mansion that used to be known as Watkins Tavern, the cart barn, small pro shop, and a cottage property between 7 green and 8 tee.  However, he had no interest in owning a golf course, just the buildings.
Immediately after the purchase, I and 5 others quickly got together to plan to buy the course from Mr. D., develop a business structure for the course, and recruit more local investors to participate.  We organized various committees: Executive, Pro shop, Greens, Marketing and Membership committees.  We amassed 25 investors at $25,000 apiece.  We figured $625,000 would be enough to buy the course from Mr. D., and have working capital to buy much needed equipment, spruce up the course and keep it operating for the few years it may take to turn profits that can be reinvested.  By Fall 2019 we had everything organized and we needed lawyers to make the LLC legit with NH.  That took until 3 weeks ago before the we took actual ownership of the course.
CURRENTLY: Now we have a course owned by 25 locals, half of them non-golfers, and the course is opening this weekend and we're doing our best to drum up excitement and recruit more members like we used to have until 2008.  There's a long list of things we've done in the off season to improve the course. In December I took a stroll on the course with an author who quickly became my friend, Anthony Pioppi.  He wrote about Hooper in his recent book, The Finest Nines, where he puts Hooper at #7 Bets 9-Hole course in North America.  Tome Doak puts it even higher on his list, as described in The Confidential Guide vol 3.  The recommendations from Pioppi agree with what Doak also suggested to me a couple years ago: remove trees, and return the greens to their original sizes. 

Over the winter our Super took down over 100 trees surrounding the course to improve airflow and sunshine on the turn, and some truly awful looking evergreens on the course.  It is looking much closer to its original appearance in photos from the course's early days.  We will be growing long fescue in areas out of the range of play, and where only long hitters can knock it.  Some day we'll have the funds to improve our bunker conditions.   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:44:27 PM by Peter Bowman »

Peter Bowman

Re: The Hooper Story
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
CURRENTLY: Now we have a course owned by 25 locals, half of them non-golfers, and the course is opening this weekend and we're doing our best to drum up excitement and recruit more members like we used to have until 2008.  There's a long list of things we've done in the off season to improve the course.
 In December I took a stroll on the course with an author who quickly became my friend, Anthony Pioppi.  He wrote about Hooper in his recent book, The Finest Nines, where he puts Hooper at #7 Bets 9-Hole course in North America.  Tome Doak puts it even higher on his list, as described in The Confidential Guide vol 3.  The recommendations from Pioppi agree with what Doak also suggested to me a couple years ago: remove trees, and return the greens to their original sizes. 

Over the winter our Super took down over 100 trees surrounding the course to improve airflow and sunshine on the turn, and some truly awful looking evergreens on the course.  It is looking much closer to its original appearance in photos from the course's early days.  We will be growing long fescue in areas out of the range of play, and where only long hitters can knock it.  Some day we'll have the funds to improve our bunker conditions. 

In mid May we are hosting a Renaissance event (of sorts) to bring new light to the course in the eyes of the public and celebrate it's history and the endurance we intend to pump into the course. We hope to host a couple big names in the golf course architecture world.  We have their verbal intentions to be here and we are awaiting confirmation. 

So this is the long story in a nutshell.  The investors and I are eager to return the course's to it's former membership count and continue to raise the course's prominence in the golf course.  We have a lot of work ahead of us, and I will be combing through this website for ideas to help the course succeed. 

I hope to ask many question and opinions of contributors on this site that will be constructive to our continual improvement of Hooper Golf Course.  So here I am, open to questions, suggestions and criticisms  FBO Hooper GC.
Sincerely,Peter Bowman

Buck Wolter

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 02:48:12 PM »

CURRENTLY: Now we have a course owned by 25 locals, half of them non-golfers, and the course is opening this weekend and we're doing our best to drum up excitement and recruit more members like we used to have until 2008.  There's a long list of things we've done in the off season to improve the course.
 In December I took a stroll on the course with an author who quickly became my friend, Anthony Pioppi.  He wrote about Hooper in his recent book, The Finest Nines, where he puts Hooper at #7 Bets 9-Hole course in North America.  Tome Doak puts it even higher on his list, as described in The Confidential Guide vol 3.  The recommendations from Pioppi agree with what Doak also suggested to me a couple years ago: remove trees, and return the greens to their original sizes. 

In mid May we are hosting a Renaissance event (of sorts) to bring new light to the course in the eyes of the public and celebrate it's history and the endurance we intend to pump into the course. We hope to host a couple big names in the golf course architecture world.  We have their verbal intentions to be here and we are awaiting confirmation. 

So this is the long story in a nutshell.  The investors and I are eager to return the course's to it's former membership count and continue to raise the course's prominence in the golf course.  We have a lot of work ahead of us, and I will be combing through this website for ideas to help the course succeed. 

I hope to ask many question and opinions of contributors on this site that will be constructive to our continual improvement of Hooper Golf Course.  So here I am, open to questions, suggestions and criticisms  FBO Hooper GC.
Sincerely,Peter Bowman

Increased the font on a very cool post

CURRENTLY: Now we have a course owned by 25 locals, half of them non-golfers, and the course is opening this weekend and we're doing our best to drum up excitement and recruit more members like we used to have until 2008.  There's a long list of things we've done in the off season to improve the course.  In December I took a stroll on the course with an author who quickly became my friend, Anthony Pioppi.  He wrote about Hooper in his recent book, The Finest Nines, where he puts Hooper at #7 Bets 9-Hole course in North America.  Tom Doak puts it even higher on his list, as described in The Confidential Guide vol 3.  The recommendations from Pioppi agree with what Doak also suggested to me a couple years ago: remove trees, and return the greens to their original sizes.      Over the winter our Super took down over 100 trees surrounding the course to improve airflow and sunshine on the turn, and some truly awful looking evergreens on the course.  It is looking much closer to its original appearance in photos from the course's early days.  We will be growing long fescue in areas out of the range of play, and where only long hitters can knock it.  Some day we'll have the funds to improve our bunker conditions.      In mid May we are hosting a Renaissance event (of sorts) to bring new light to the course in the eyes of the public and celebrate it's history and the endurance we intend to pump into the course. We hope to host a couple big names in the golf course architecture world.  We have their verbal intentions to be here and we are awaiting confirmation.      So this is the long story in a nutshell.  The investors and I are eager to return the course's to it's former membership count and continue to raise the course's prominence in the golf course.  We have a lot of work ahead of us, and I will be combing through this website for ideas to help the course succeed.      I hope to ask many question and opinions of contributors on this site that will be constructive to our continual improvement of Hooper Golf Course.  So here I am, open to questions, suggestions and criticisms  FBO Hooper GC. Sincerely,Peter Bowman

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:49:54 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 03:04:10 PM »
Very cool, Peter, and Welcome!
I HAD to check it out on Google Earth. Very interesting bunkering to say the least...

Google Earth Link:

https://earth.app.goo.gl/6811qm
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »
Peter - this is great news - I am hoping to get there this season. Looking forward to it!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »

Great post Peter, and kudos to you and the 25!

I was fortunate enough to play Hooper about 3 or 4 years ago, and it was good as it was, with even more potential for sure.

I've long beat the drum for Northern New England (I live on the North Shore of Boston) as one of the best affordable golf trips available in the US, and courses like Hooper are a prime reason!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Peter Bowman

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 05:47:06 PM »
Thank for all the kind words, guys.  I'm excited about this.  It has been a lot of work this year.
Is it possible to post photos on here.  I haven't figure out how.  I have many worthy photos of Hooper

Willie_Dow

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 05:56:17 PM »
Having played Hooper some years ago, being an interested golfer at Vermont Academy, Saxtons River, Vt, class of 1947, I can still remember many of its characteristic holes and views.  We played some matches there years after I graduated.

Thanks much to you New Englanders for keeping good memories alive !

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 06:39:51 PM »
Peter,

I follow Hooper on Facebook, and I played the course with my Autistic son a few summers back on a Vermont hiking trip with him. It was highly recommended by Mr Moore from Maine, and he was correct.

It is an awesome place, and obviously a little tough to get to. Stiles and Van Kleek are amazingly consistent, and I wish it was closer to our traditional summer travels.

I don't know all the summer camps in your area, but I would figure out a way to get them to your course. I still have fond memories of the courses that I grew up on.

Thanks for stepping up - http://hoopergolfcourse.com
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 11:57:35 PM »
Is it possible to post photos on here.  I haven't figure out how.  I have many worthy photos of Hooper

Peter, welcome to the board and congrats to you and your "partners".

Unfortunately the board software is out of date and isn't intuitive re: photos.  You will have to upload them to another hosting site, and then use some old-fashioned methods to post them here.  (I actually made an amateurish Youtube video describing how to do using Photobucket ages ago).  https://youtu.be/_wgmPR4TtrE

An easier way is just to upload all the photos to imgur.com, and then share the link to us here.  Imgur is about the easiest photo hosting site there is.  You can upload a ton of photos at one time, and one link to go to them.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 06:40:41 AM »
I have heard a lot of buzz about the golf course over the last year. My due diligence tells me that a fine day would include coffee and confections from L.A. Burdick followed by golf at Hooper.

Michael Moore

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 08:31:50 AM »
With Kevin Mendik, Bob Labbance wrote the The Life and Work Wayne Stiles, which is a remarkable piece of scholarship that I highly recommend. Bob left us far too early, and on the way home from the fundraiser for his children at Ekwanok in 2008, my group "accidentally" ended up in Walpole with an hour of daylight remaining and a thick fog descending. I stood on the tee and looked down at what is so far in my travels the finest opening hole in the world, and our nine that evening was a goose-bump-inducing tribute to the life and work of Mr. Labbance.

What can I say? Hooper has it all - an improbably remote location, the yellow farmhouse, the dirt road smack down the middle of the course with stone walls and a lush canopy, perfect topography, a true diversity of shots and stances, I could go on. I am lucky enough to play in the exhibition portion of the Tri-State matches most years, and racing over to Hooper after the ceremony wraps up on a Sunday in September has become one of my favorite trips.

I flunked out of mathematics, but these numbers look encouraging. There are a few remote nine holers in Maine, some by Stiles, that are teetering on the brink, and yes, I would love to find out more about the model and the energy that has led to the current arrangement. How much is the Doak endorsement worth? As you can see I love Hooper as much as the next guy, but I was truly astonished to see the degree to which these magical grounds got their hooks into him.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Peter Bowman

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 08:52:37 AM »
Having played Hooper some years ago, being an interested golfer at Vermont Academy, Saxtons River, Vt, class of 1947, I can still remember many of its characteristic holes and views.  We played some matches there years after I graduated.

Thanks much to you New Englanders for keeping good memories alive !
We still host the Vermont Academy golf team.  They've begun putting practice on our practice green last week.  Next week they'll be playing the course after we officially open on Saturday.  The greens were pretty mushy last week.  The beauty of Hooper is the oft unappreciated variety of holes.  1,2,3,4,6,9 are exceptional holes, and 5,7,8 are no slouches either.
(I re-read that post that was expanded in larger font and I see plenty of my own type-o's.  It's hard to crank out a long post in between treating my patients.)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »
Good stuff Mr. Moore (call/text me one of these days...we need to play this summer!)

#1 is a great hole, with an associated interesting discussion about the definition of par.

For sure it's a "par 4.5" no matter what it says on the card, and the amazing landforms are the same no matter what.

Although par is surely a construct, when I view Hooper #1 through the lens of an all-world hole, I think of it as a two-shotter.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Peter Bowman

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 09:45:17 AM »
Peter,

I follow Hooper on Facebook, and I played the course with my Autistic son a few summers back on a Vermont hiking trip with him. It was highly recommended by Mr Moore from Maine, and he was correct.

It is an awesome place, and obviously a little tough to get to. Stiles and Van Kleek are amazingly consistent, and I wish it was closer to our traditional summer travels.

I don't know all the summer camps in your area, but I would figure out a way to get them to your course. I still have fond memories of the courses that I grew up on.

Thanks for stepping up - http://hoopergolfcourse.com
Mike,

I like the idea of a summer camp venue for young golfers at Hooper.  I think I've seen you "Like" some of the FB stuff I do.
I have had about 50 people ask me to do children's summer lessons like I do for the ladies.  The past 2 years I've volunteered time to host Ladies-only golf lessons for beginners, which is always very crowded on our little course that has no driving range.  Most of the ladies returned the following year and many have bought memberships.  I"d do the children's lessons but I'm already overextended for my time with my practice and family and everything else in life.
I like to view the world of opportunities in terms of The Pareto Principle (80/20 Rule): 80% of our gains will come from 20% of our efforts/investments/time/etc.  As I saw it, women are the greatest opportunity in golf going forth into the foreseeable future. The Gentleman's game has been accidentally exclusive from women for a while. I've been surprised how many women have been curious about the game, but they all admit the same thing--intimidation when playing with men.  So we made their lessons exclusive in their favor.
My logic posited that if we can hook the women, their boyfriends, husbands and children may follow suit, but it wont work the other way around

Peter Bowman

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 09:46:35 AM »
I have heard a lot of buzz about the golf course over the last year. My due diligence tells me that a fine day would include coffee and confections from L.A. Burdick followed by golf at Hooper.
Tim, after your LA burdick coffee and 18 holes at Hooper, stop at The Hungry Diner for an awesome farm-to-table lunch--unless we have the Mansion porch restaurant up and running by then

Peter Bowman

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 09:55:20 AM »
With Kevin Mendik, Bob Labbance wrote the The Life and Work Wayne Stiles, which is a remarkable piece of scholarship that I highly recommend. Bob left us far too early, and on the way home from the fundraiser for his children at Ekwanok in 2008, my group "accidentally" ended up in Walpole with an hour of daylight remaining and a thick fog descending. I stood on the tee and looked down at what is so far in my travels the finest opening hole in the world, and our nine that evening was a goose-bump-inducing tribute to the life and work of Mr. Labbance.

What can I say? Hooper has it all - an improbably remote location, the yellow farmhouse, the dirt road smack down the middle of the course with stone walls and a lush canopy, perfect topography, a true diversity of shots and stances, I could go on. I am lucky enough to play in the exhibition portion of the Tri-State matches most years, and racing over to Hooper after the ceremony wraps up on a Sunday in September has become one of my favorite trips.

I flunked out of mathematics, but these numbers look encouraging. There are a few remote nine holers in Maine, some by Stiles, that are teetering on the brink, and yes, I would love to find out more about the model and the energy that has led to the current arrangement. How much is the Doak endorsement worth? As you can see I love Hooper as much as the next guy, but I was truly astonished to see the degree to which these magical grounds got their hooks into him.

Michael, "Finest Opening Hole In The World"  has a great ring to it.  Now how can I get that officialized by an authoritative golf publication or figure so we can make a nice granite plaque on the first tee?  Maybe we should make the plaque on it and quote Michael Moore, lol. 

Your kind words are exciting to hear.  I agree that Mendik and Labbance wrote some great pieces on Stiles and Van Kleek.
Feel free to contact me the next time you accidentally find yourself at Hooper

JBovay

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 07:57:36 AM »
Peter, welcome to the site and thanks for sharing the story. I heard some of it from your course's record-holder when I visited last fall.

Were trees removed from along the road between holes 2 and 3?

Peter Bowman

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 09:14:10 PM »
Peter, welcome to the site and thanks for sharing the story. I heard some of it from your course's record-holder when I visited last fall.

Were trees removed from along the road between holes 2 and 3?

No trees between 2 and 3 yet.  Those are on the agenda for another year likely.  There were nasty spruce trees by 9 tee that were taken down but more importantly, the even worse trees between 5 and 6 were removed.  Now the whole 5/6/7 complex is open and really feels like a ‘course’ rather than a series of holes. 

In other news, today was opening day.  I made sure to be the first to tee off on the first day of the first ear under new ownership.  I never imagined I’d eagle the first hole too!  I decided to interpret that as a good omen for the course.  Super says we got 15 new memberships today.  I’m hoping that means NEW people to the club, not just people who haven’t paid their membership yet.  I’ll find out.

I took some amazing photos of the mist on the course but I haven’t figured out successful photo uploads yet

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »
Peter,

I use Flickr and it works pretty well.  If you upload them there I can give you some instructions on how to post them here..

Kalen
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:29:47 AM by Kalen Braley »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 11:28:50 AM »
Peter - wonderful story, and congratulations.
One of the (side-bar) interesting things for me:  for years here, every few months or so, there's a thread about gca.com members coming together to buy & run our own golf club/course.
There's always some (charmingly) grand plan involving some (potentially) great venue, but the devil is always in the details/practicalities.
So it's so neat for me to see your story: i.e. right there, in your own backyard, with sound motives and time and patience and commitment and practical/steady common sense, you & your group have achieved the goal.
all the best moving forward
Peter 

Willie_Dow

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 01:44:51 PM »
Dr Bowman, I presume ?

I'm alerting my golfing daughter, True, of this wonderful story.

She is involved with the Women's Golf of New Hampshire, and may be helpful with your "Ladies Only" program - and the Junior Golf as well.

Her email address will be sent if requested

Peter Bowman

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »

‘How much is Doak’s endorsement worth?’  It is hard to say, honestly, but it’s worth a lot to me and some long time members.  I agree, for a guy of his stature to rank it as high as his personal #2, I had to take a serious reexamination of the course.

Hooper is very much taken for granted by the members, I think.  Some gripe about the $575 annual membership fee we’ve paid for the past 5 years or so.  Meanwhile, we have one of the world’s greatest living golf course architects and other architecture aficionados raving about the course.  Alas, supply and demand dictates that membership fee, which has not been enough to support the club for the past 3 years. 

My understanding of Doak’s interest in Hooper is it’s history, simple yet strategic design, the exploitation of the grounds’ natural rugged contours and minimal earth-moving during construction, it’s playability and potential for enjoyment for all skill levels, and of course, the natural beauty of the site.  At barely over 6000yds and generous fairways, Hooper is quite a challenge.  Particularly the greens of 1,3,4,6 and 9 and the fairways of 1, 2 (the course’s most intimidating tee shot), 5 and 9 are particularly undulating and difficult.  There are only a handful of flat lies at Hooper. 

There aren’t many 9-hole courses and there are even fewer with all the qualities described.  Doak says Whittinsville is the best, and I believe him.  I’m planning to play it this year to see what he sees in it, and maybe take a few ideas from the course that could apply well at Hooper

Peter Bowman

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 05:33:10 PM »
Peter,

I use Flickr and it works pretty well.  If you upload them there I can give you some instructions on how to post them here..

Kalen

I have an old Flickr account from long ago.  I’ll try that route.  Thank you

Willie_Dow

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
My daughter is an assistant tournament director for Women's Golf in New Hampshire.  My input to her would be to put Hooper on the map for events, acknowledging the lack of a practice tee before play.  Emphasis would be on the architecture offered by Stiles and Van Kleek, and make the ladies aware of golf design when many played with hickory shafts, and driving ranges were not in existance!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back