News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Faxon among new owners of Metacomet (RI)
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »
Basically, it came down to the new investors not having deep enough pockets or hearts to make it work.
It seems to me, if they really were contrite, they could now offer to sell it back to the members for what they paid, eat the supposed "$500,000" loss 5 ways (who buys a failing business not expecting some initial red ink-depending on accounting method)...
They could probably even add the $500k into the purchase price, justifiably, and offer that to the membership. Sounds like the membership wouldn't be able to buy it, because had they, they might have put an offer together last year.

I agree that would have saved face and let them move forward with the sale with less bad PR.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2020, 01:02:22 PM »
Bad Faxon.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2020, 01:04:06 PM »

Chris Buie

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »
This one takes in a sweeping view of the Narragansett.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 10:05:23 PM by Chris Buie »

John Emerson

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2020, 07:15:56 PM »
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Brad Tufts

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2020, 11:14:38 AM »
So many "the writing was on the wall" comments and indicators.  I think both sides of this issue had/have problems.

If they hadn't paid taxes in three years, then the club/course going away was imminent anyways...then the members who are sad about their course going away would have had nobody to blame but themselves.

My major question is why did Faxon attach himself to the project when there was virtually no chance of it succeeding in a similar way?  Intentions to save the club are great, even if it seems the eventual plan was to heavily modify things...but if it was only given 6-9 months to succeed, then what chance did it have?

It's a head-shaker that Faxon would put himself out there like this in a community where he has such ties, only to automatically be the face of the failure that was inevitably coming.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

John Emerson

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »
So many "the writing was on the wall" comments and indicators.  I think both sides of this issue had/have problems.

If they hadn't paid taxes in three years, then the club/course going away was imminent anyways...then the members who are sad about their course going away would have had nobody to blame but themselves.

My major question is why did Faxon attach himself to the project when there was virtually no chance of it succeeding in a similar way?  Intentions to save the club are great, even if it seems the eventual plan was to heavily modify things...but if it was only given 6-9 months to succeed, then what chance did it have?

It's a head-shaker that Faxon would put himself out there like this in a community where he has such ties, only to automatically be the face of the failure that was inevitably coming.

This.  From the outside in, it looks to be a money grab unfortunately.  His local rep will be tarnished I believe...
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2020, 08:37:22 PM »
I'm curious about the renovation part of the original proposal. I know where that lagoon is, and I can imagine condos on the 11th and 12th holes. Fine. Decent, but not great holes. Where would they have put the replacement holes?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Feeney

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2020, 04:19:11 PM »
I'm curious about the renovation part of the original proposal. I know where that lagoon is, and I can imagine condos on the 11th and 12th holes. Fine. Decent, but not great holes. Where would they have put the replacement holes?
Hi Ron,
I do not believe they formalized a specific plan. 

2nd hand, I heard they were going to move #10 Tee box to left, slightly...then make #11 a shorter hole by taking down the maintenance barn (moved elsewhere) and reducing size of bigger-than-needed-parking-lot.  I don't think #12 was going to be changed.  Faxon claimed (I can't believe I put those 2 words together) he had discussed with Gil Hanse.

But, like this whole fiasco, this group's modus operandi was: 1. Fire     2. Ready     3. Aim
Fax & Friends were enamored with the story of rejuvenating the Club, but didn't have 1 or more of the: passion, guts, or resources ($$) to make it happen.  So, they bailed.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2020, 04:28:10 PM »
Fax & Friends sounds about right.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were playing the membership as chumps right from the start.  They don't seem to have given it an actual shot at recovery...

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if they were playing the membership as chumps right from the start.
Why make the promises they made, then?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Kalen Braley

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if they were playing the membership as chumps right from the start.
Why make the promises they made, then?

To close the deal.  The article said they had lots of offers to buy it, so of course they did thier own dog & pony show...

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »
To close the deal.  The article said they had lots of offers to buy it, so of course they did thier own dog & pony show...
Even as I was making my post, I was thinking "well, if you don't care about the blowback when you go back on your promise, promise whatever the heck you want." Brad is, in some ways, getting the deserved hit to his reputation, it seems.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 08:23:42 PM »
I had my sequence jumbled. The hole I was thinking could be lost and never missed, was that horrible 2nd hole. Straight out of The Monster or some other bad 1950s/1960s watery grave. Did Ross really plant that hole in the ground? If so, was it like the MacKenzie myth at Crystal Downs, where he only had 17 holes? I could not get over how terrible that hole was.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

jeffwarne

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2020, 08:36:59 PM »
Even as I was making my post, I was thinking "well, if you don't care about the blowback when you go back on your promise, promise whatever the heck you want." Brad is, in some ways, getting the deserved hit to his reputation, it seems.

All of this surprises me a bit as I've known Brad nearly 30 years.
I believe there were 5 partners involved.
It may not have been up to Brad.
Someone or several with less deep pockets may have wanted out, not realizing the scale or the effort required for the turnaround, or the offer was just to good to pass up for a majority.
Nonetheless, Brad had the most to lose in this arrangement.
That said his comments in the article were a PR disaster and don't help his case.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Flory

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2020, 10:44:51 PM »
Based on my reading of the article, the closing for the sale was supposed to take place this summer, right?  I'd be a little nervous as a seller in this scenario given that we're looking at the worst economic quarter in history right now. 

Marshall's other projects include hotels, retail, a restaurant, etc. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2020, 12:54:09 PM »
Based on my reading of the article, the closing for the sale was supposed to take place this summer, right?  I'd be a little nervous as a seller in this scenario given that we're looking at the worst economic quarter in history right now. 

Marshall's other projects include hotels, retail, a restaurant, etc.

Karma can be cruel.

Tim Martin

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2020, 06:54:37 AM »
Is the golf course open?

Mike Feeney

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2020, 07:36:16 AM »
Is the golf course open?

Yes, Tim -- virtually a public course now. And, business is brisk.  I believe the deal closed. Rumor is with the state of economy/COVID, bulldozers may not be running until Fall...likely later, eh?  Office space demand expected to be very soft.
Conditions, I hear, are as good as last year. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2020, 08:09:05 AM »
Is the golf course open?

Yes, Tim -- virtually a public course now. And, business is brisk.  I believe the deal closed. Rumor is with the state of economy/COVID, bulldozers may not be running until Fall...likely later, eh?  Office space demand expected to be very soft.
Conditions, I hear, are as good as last year.

Mike-Thanks for that info. I believe tomorrow is the day the governor or RI may tweak the existing order as like some other states it’s residents only. I haven’t played of late but will make the trip up when the all clear is in force. The current rate on the web site for “members for a day” is $55 which is a true bargain.

Tim Martin

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2020, 08:14:03 PM »
I took a day trip today to play Metacomet. The course is playing beautifully and in good condition. The staff couldn’t have been any more accommodating and seemed genuinely happy to welcome guests. Anybody that has the opportunity should take a trip around Metacomet especially as it’s fate hangs in the balance. They say Brad Faxon doesn’t come around anymore. ;)

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »
I took a day trip today to play Metacomet. The course is playing beautifully and in good condition. The staff couldn’t have been any more accommodating and seemed genuinely happy to welcome guests. Anybody that has the opportunity should take a trip around Metacomet especially as it’s fate hangs in the balance. They say Brad Faxon doesn’t come around anymore. ;)

I will echo this post, I played Metacomet for the first time today.  The entire course was in excellent shape and the greens were amazing.  I will definitely be getting back there this summer.  It's an absolute steal for $70 on a weekend morning in the Boston/Providence area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back