News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Senior

Re: Faxon among new owners of Metacomet (RI)
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 12:05:03 PM »
Have they given a closing date?
It sounds like it would be worth a trip this spring to play a Ross course before it's gone.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 05:23:53 PM »
This entire discussion is hard to read. A year is not much time to try and turn a club around. It makes me think the new owners had this in mind when the club was purchased.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Feeney

Tim Martin

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2020, 08:20:09 AM »
RI natives are restless
https://www.golocalprov.com/news/broken-promises-documents-show-faxon-and-partners-assured-metacomet-million

I guess Faxon’s “unique love for Metacomet’s fabulous history” is only exceeded by his love of lining his pockets. The back story has some political insiders involved and I would guess this will get uglier as time marches on.

Chris Buie

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2020, 08:29:48 AM »

Courtesy of Google Earth

MCirba

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2020, 11:27:17 AM »
Profound photo, Chris.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tim Martin

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2020, 11:47:49 AM »
The ironic thing about the sale is that Faxon and his group were supposed to be a firewall for anything detrimental relating to the golf course. I know when I originally read about his involvement and stated intentions that I had a good feeling about the fate of Metacomet.

jeffwarne

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2020, 12:36:38 PM »
Sad tale.
Do you think the life of any of the group is going to change due to the 1 or 2 million(each) they may reap from this sale?
Faxon may not have had a choice for all we know but I'd like to think his reputation is(was) worth more than his share of the profits...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MKrohn

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2020, 04:06:29 PM »

Seems a dodgy outcome on the surface but as usual more is probably at play.

Seeing the photo @Chris Buie posted I suspect (leaving aside different ownership models) there is little chance you would get that sort of land rezoned for mixed use development in Australia, certainly not inside 12 months with environmental, traffic and numerous other issues.

Looks like a lack of green space generally, a lagoon and maybe some dunes. Surely local residents would be unhappy about this sort of development on what is a fabulous looking piece of land.

Not saying we don't have horrid apartment and shopping centre developments out here but this really looks to be a shame.

Chris Buie

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »
Another view of the same area.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:20:50 PM by Chris Buie »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2020, 02:06:10 PM »
This comes as no surprise. I am not a lawyer but the suit would certainly appear to have merit. Faxon’s reputation has taken a huge hit.

https://www.golocalprov.com/business/new-brad-faxon-and-investors-facing-fraud-claim-in-lawsuit-by-metacomet-gol

Steve Lapper

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2020, 02:47:38 PM »
This comes as no surprise. I am not a lawyer but the suit would certainly appear to have merit. Faxon’s reputation has taken a huge hit.

https://www.golocalprov.com/business/new-brad-faxon-and-investors-facing-fraud-claim-in-lawsuit-by-metacomet-gol

If I was Brad, I'd separate myself from the investor group and pledge whatever my capital share was back to the club. It would be a face-saver for his reputation and likely not enough $$ to negatively impact his life.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mark Smolens

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2020, 05:13:13 PM »
Maybe put a hold on the bulldozers. . . there are lawyers getting involved
 https://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20200309/brad-faxon-other-owners-sued-by-metacomet-members

Kevin Neary

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »
With my limited legal knowledge, they're going to have to prove forbearance of some kind for them to win. Can only get uglier from here unfortunately...

Mike Feeney

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2020, 02:15:04 PM »
Golf Digest picking up on the Metacomet fiasco.
With the exception of a bogus headline, a solid, factual account.
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/brad-faxon-saved-his-childhood-club-members-are-now-suing-him-for-fraud-the-curious-case-of-metacomet-golf-club

Peter Flory

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2020, 02:48:43 PM »
Shady.

For the original $3.5MM asking price, the members should have bought it though.  Would have been a steal.  Isn't that about what Ravisloe (south of Chicago) sold for a decade ago? 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:51:29 PM by Peter Flory »

Tim Martin

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2020, 03:25:38 PM »
You would think on the advice of counsel that Faxon wouldn’t comment publicly while the suit winds through the courts. I read the article in it’s entirety and can’t say I feel better about Faxon’s role. ::)  It’s like burning down your old neighborhood.

Eric Smith

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »

So many questions.

What if they built a Sweetens North over it? Would it enrage or inspire?

So many questions.

Cob Carlson

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »
The last two paragraphs by writer Joel Beall are absolutely brilliant.

I've had the good fortune to play this course 5 times...once recreationally, and 4 times competitively in regional tournaments. It is a little jewel of a Ross course. The amazing greens and the strong wind coming in off the bay give the course its teeth.

Chris Buie's aerial photos make this situation even more heartbreaking. Golf courses often serve an important role providing open space in super dense urban areas. Metacomet is a case in point.

I'm not privy to all the details, but reading between the lines, there is plenty of blame to go around.

1) The spoiled membership, who clearly did not adjust to the changing world of golf economics present day. Great Ross course, but I remember the distinct feeling of a clubhouse far too cavernous for a somewhat blue collar Men's Golf Club.

2) Rhode Island golfers...there are 25 other private clubs in the state. Subtract the 8 other private Ross courses and you have 17 left. Of those, 14 couldn't tie Metacomet's shoes in terms of design and playability. Convenience is not a real issue. You can drive from the south to north of the state in 51 minutes max.

3) Faxon and team. If Brad really wanted to boost membership, he should have been out on the Metacomet putting green more often, pressing the flesh and giving members and prospective members free putting tips. His team's efforts marketing the club seem suspect at best.

4) Marshall R.E.Development Company...what a joke "...genuinely serious about bolstering commerce and community in the Upper Bay..." If they were truly serious about strengthening economic vibrancy of the region they would be looking at the staggering amount of vacant old mill, industrial, and warehouse space in Providence (three miles away), Pawtucket (seven miles away) and not far east Fall River, MA (16 miles away).
Use those strong old bones rather than wiping out another precious piece of recreational open space.

Crying shame.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2020, 05:34:15 PM »
You would think on the advice of counsel that Faxon wouldn’t comment publicly while the suit winds through the courts. I read the article in it’s entirety and can’t say I feel better about Faxon’s role. ::)  It’s like burning down your old neighborhood.

Or the advice of a PR firm.  This should serve as Exhibit “A” on how not to handle a situation. 

Anthony Butler

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2020, 01:23:39 PM »
Faxon seems like he’s attempting to re-write history on this. He’s now saying the sale to a property developer was part of the plan ‘all along’. Yet his public statements and communication to the membership indicates they were operating the club as a going concern for the foreseeable future, not simply until his ownership group attracted an acceptable price for the land.

Gaslighting works on cult members, not golf club members.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:33:44 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2020, 09:00:23 AM »

If this image is indicative of the treelined holes, it's my posit that it's the littering of this "great ground" with rows of dead soldiers and stupid rough, as the root cause of this club's demise.

Examples of this almost always are caused by decades of poor leadership decisions, fiduciary, and architecturally.

Cut most of those view restricting trees down, and you'd likely have a masterpiece.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

jeffwarne

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2020, 09:27:57 AM »
Seeing the pictures make this real...
That article was a PR disaster-especially for Brad.
Basically, it came down to the new investors not having deep enough pockets or hearts to make it work.
It seems to me, if they really were contrite, they could now offer to sell it back to the members for what they paid, eat the supposed "$500,000" loss 5 ways (who buys a failing business not expecting some initial red ink-depending on accounting method)...

and emerge with their reputations less scarred.(even or especially if the offer not taken)

That said, in the current environment-may all well be a moot point
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back