News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Faxon among new owners of Metacomet (RI)
« on: March 28, 2019, 06:16:15 PM »

Metacomet is an excellent Donald Ross course in RI that flies under the radar.

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20190327/brad-faxon-among-new-owners-of-metacomet-country-club

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Faxon among new owners of Metacomet (RI)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »
Since I did not win the recent large MegaMillions or Powerball jackpots, good luck Brad Faxon!

Previous thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66475.msg1590645.html#msg1590645
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 11:02:34 PM »
I’m not shocked that Faxon is part of the new ownership team at Metacomet. It’s a homer play with him being a RI native but the golf course is more than worthy. It doesn’t get much attention because it’s in the shadow of Wannamoisett which steals most of the accolades in Providence.

Adam T

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 10:16:04 PM »
I had the great privilege of playing Metacomet this morning. Despite a rainy East Coast spring, the course played firm and fast throughout. Kudos to the superintendent and all the golf staff there. A truly excellent property for golf.

Public tee times are available for a limited time here: https://metacometgolf.teesnap.net/

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 11:12:32 PM »
The ownership by Faxon and his group did not last long, and the course may not be in existence very much longer.  From an email sent to the membership tonight:

"Dear Members:

We would like to inform the Membership that we have entered discussions toward the possible sale of the Club property.  It is probably not a surprise to our members that our first calendar year was financially difficult, with our losses higher than in the Club’s two prior years.  Our high hopes and primary intent were to grow the Club’s Membership to levels necessary to support the club with minimal “Outside” play and to maintain the Club as a private club. Based on the golf dynamics of the club and the state, and the downward trends of the golf industry, in general we do not see a path toward our ability to do that as a private or even semi-private club. 

Since our November meeting, we have been approached by several development groups interested in acquiring the property, one of which we have chosen to proceed with.  Part of the discussion involves this group potentially keeping the course open for the balance of the golf season as a public course.  Based on the current discussions, if this transaction were to be completed, it would likely be finalized by the end of June or July of this year."

Jeff Loh

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 09:50:34 AM »
Nice job Fax >:(

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
This is probably not the right time but this being an architectural group and all it's noteworthy that Ross only revised Willie Park Jr.'s golf course at Metacomet, much of which remains original today.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »
While not the greatest course ever, let's hope we do not lose this one!  I was able to play it last summer, and shot my career best round with 7 birdies, after barely breaking 80 in the morning at Newport.

Strange that it was taken on by Fax & Co. and now spun off after only one golf season...I feel like there's more to that story.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 03:59:57 PM »
I walked it last year in the early Spring before it opened for play. It's got some terrific holes in among some really good ones. I really liked the layout and loved the greens.

If this is indeed going away, I would recommend anyone finding themselves  in the area go play it before its gone.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 04:07:34 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 04:44:50 PM »
I know this is a gross oversimplification, but all my cynical eye sees in that letter is that we'd rather have no course at all than let the great unwashed come in and play a couple times a week.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Bill Gayne

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 05:33:26 PM »
It would be disappointing to lose this golf course. I have some pictures from last fall that I can send someone if they want to host and post. Just send me an IM and I'll forward the pics to you.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 02:57:34 PM »
Here are the photos Bill Gayne provided me of Metacomet:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 10:42:37 AM »
The opening 7 holes at Metacomet are hard to beat for quality. There was a lot of optimism when my dad and I played the course last June; this is quite an unfortunate reversal of fortunes.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim Moeller

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 05:22:36 PM »
This past October I played it for the first time and it was a memorable round. I don't have a knack for remembering courses well - especially those I've only played once - but I can remember almost every hole there. I sent a few other folks to check it out, and they agreed that it's such a killer layout.

I should note that I caught up to a member on the third hole and played with him the rest of the way. He'd been a member for years and peppered me with course history and strategy. But the thing I'll most remember is him saying to me about ten times that because they have no pool and tennis courts, they can't attract young members. That may be true, but I got the sense that it wasn't just about the young members. On a gorgeous Thursday morning in the fall, why were there only a handful of people on the course? Could it be because they have no real driving range, a gigantic clubhouse that probably costs a ton to maintain, and who knows what for property taxes? Or maybe something else?

I just hope I can get down there at least one more time before they shut the doors.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »
I really want to get there.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 07:36:29 PM »
This feels a bit odd, and I hear members are quite upset.
  • Purchase property for $2.2M.
  • Promise to keep it open and add a lot of improvements.
  • Sell it to a developer for $10.5M less than a year later.
Rightfully upset, I would say. Yes?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tommy Williamsen

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

MCirba

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 08:17:11 PM »
This feels a bit odd, and I hear members are quite upset.
  • Purchase property for $2.2M.
  • Promise to keep it open and add a lot of improvements.
  • Sell it to a developer for $10.5M less than a year later.
Rightfully upset, I would say. Yes?

Egads.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 08:51:11 PM »
At first blush, I had a similar reaction.

That said, having done a near identical deal for a course nearby in NJ that never had even remotely the bones of a Metacomet, I well understand. When you get a "Steve Miller Band: Take the $$ and Run" play...you take it.

The mistake here, IMO, is to have even tried to explain it away as a failure of the operational business plan. It's ridiculous to believe that Fax's partnership hadn't planned for a multiple year testing of running it private, semi-private, or fully public. I have a hard time believing no one involved ran multiple spreadsheets covering the gamut of assumptions?? I rather doubt they didn't.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

MCirba

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 08:52:38 PM »
Egads.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 09:30:03 PM »
The surprise stems from many of us having an image of BF that was just that, an image: we think, old school style, Rhode Island traditionalist, insightful lover of architecture, with a short-hitter-and-great-putter's appreciation for golden age design. But he's spent his whole adult life playing professional golf -- and he's actually, at this stage, mostly BF the businessman with a good 'brand' to sell. People like that don't save great old golf courses. People like Mike Cirba and Joe Bausch do.     

Steve Lapper

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 06:31:15 AM »
The surprise stems from many of us having an image of BF that was just that, an image: we think, old school style, Rhode Island traditionalist, insightful lover of architecture, with a short-hitter-and-great-putter's appreciation for golden age design. But he's spent his whole adult life playing professional golf -- and he's actually, at this stage, mostly BF the businessman with a good 'brand' to sell. People like that don't save great old golf courses. People like Mike Cirba and Joe Bausch do.   

The image you paint for Faxon isn't less accurate or truthful. He's one of the good guys. I hardly think he's selling "a good brand" in this case. My guess is Brad was recruited to join the investment group and most likely truly wished to help save the place he grew up playing.

That said, he was only one of several investment partners and not, I believe, the general partner responsible for making decisions. I'm stupefied that these guys abandoned whatever operational business plan they had this quickly, but capitalizing on some RE development potential was likely their default strategy.

The only outstanding question is what explicitly was promised to those members who stayed on?

The golf business, especially 2nd and 3rd tier private clubs, is an undeniably failing one. Especially so when they reside in a competitive environment with a stagnant or shrinking economic and demographic conditions. Those with significant debt are practically doomed. Metacomet, even with wonderful architecture will never be immune from these pressures.

Mike and Joe are admirably saving a historic and public place, and doing so with a large community and public component. I laude them, but this is a vastly different project. Apples and oranges IMO.

FWIW, I've been involved on both sides of this coin several times and it's never as clear cut as some here would like to believe. Business is business and historic preservation is rarely possible without subsidies.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike Feeney

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 07:31:11 AM »
Faxon & his cohorts portrayed themselves as Metacomet, Donald Ross, and RI Golf stewards, pledging to restore the Club to it's past glory and sustaining the private club business model...differentiating themselves from other interested suitors.  Fax got national & local press coverage glorifying his passion to save his boyhood Club, and sustaining his Dad's & buddies golfing playground.

Alas, Fax (unwittingly? hard to believe) was the sheep's clothing for the wolf.  Metacomet's naive and desperate membership (self included) fell for it -- this group hijacked the stakeholder equity (purchase price = acquiring Club's debt) and parlayed the coup by selling to real estate developers at a handsome profit and a mega 1-year ROI.

The bad news delivered by a duck & cover letter.  Rather cold, insensitive, and a-tad-short-of-courageous, don't ya think?

With Metacomet friends like Fax...

Carl Nichols

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 01:38:34 PM »
Mike--
Very sorry about this.  How much debt?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back