News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

In Praise of P. G. Wodehouse
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:29:26 AM »
Much to my wife's chagrin I am working my way through Jeeves and Wooster on YouTube, following with fascination the exploits of Hugh Laurie's outrageous portrayal of Bertram Wilberforce Wooster, who according to his man Jeeves is a member at Wentworth.  It has rekindled my re-reading of The Clicking of Cuthbert and The Heart of a Goof.  To lighten your Friday I share this excerpt from the Preface of the latter:

While it is, of course, true that my style owes much to Dostoievsky, the heart-wringing qualities of such stories as The Awakening of Rollo Podmarsh and Keeping in with Vosper it due entirely to the fact that I have spent much time recently playing on the National Links at Southampton, Long Island, U.S.A.  These links were constructed by an exiled Scot who conceived the dreadful idea of assembling on one course all the really foul holes in Great Britain.  It cannot but leave its mark on a man when, after struggling through the Sahara at  Sandwich and the Alps at Prestwick, he finds himself faced by the Station-Masters Garden hole at St. Andrew's and knows that the Redan and the Eden are just around the corner.  When you turn in a medal score of a hundred and eight on two successive days, you get to know something about Life.

Enjoy the weekend.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Dan Boerger

Re: In Praise of P. G. Wodehouse
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 10:58:49 AM »
Really enjoy his stuff. For a great short story read, I strongly recommend "Uncle Fred Flits By".
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 11:14:34 AM »
Wodehouse's activities during the war cannot but sour me to him. His behaviour might not have been treasonous, but it was close enough to warrant close scrutiny. A funny man, but a cretin.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

James Reader

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 12:16:42 PM »
I remember thinking when I read this years ago, did the Road Hole really used to be called the Station-Master’s Garden Hole? I assume it must be referring to the 17th, mustn’t it? If so, when did the new (admittedly much snappier) name take over?

ward peyronnin

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 04:15:49 PM »
I have enjoyed PGW for many many years ever since Jeeves "shimmered" into my view. As a matter of fact I opened a text just this morning wherein my daughter posed whether I ever heard the formula for Jeeve's miraculous hangover morning cure?
Before Adam's brief and toxic condemnation poisons the well for those unfamiliar with these jolly good fun stories and turn of phrase I offer to him and you this quote from a Guardian article which refers to his conduct while interned and manipulated by the Nazi's.
"Wodehouse was interrogated by journalist Malcolm Muggeridge and an MI5 barrister, found to be politically inept and guilty of “unwise” behaviour. An official report exonerated him of everything except stupidity. Inexcusably, the establishment never advised him of these findings, and he would be tormented by his tragic error for the next 30 years."
Does this sound familiar ie social media viciousness of today. Perhaps those who hold unfavorable impressions will allow themselves a chance to sample the truly timeless humour and social commentary on the class system of his day.

And what a rollicking description of NGLA. Thanks Bogey
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

ward peyronnin

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 05:48:17 PM »
"'After all, golf is only a game', said Millicent. Women say these things without thinking. It does not mean there is any kink in their character. They simply don't realize what they're saying."

There is so much good writing packed in there, so much wit and top-flight craftsmanship -- he says more in 30 words than I do in 300, and to significantly better (and more enjoyable) effect. Reminds me of Flann O'Brien, another whose craft and humour were tightly linked together. When the GB&I writers are good, there are none better -- for the English speaking world, they're The Old Course: studied, praised, copied, but never duplicated. Must be something in the water, or the Scotch.

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 10:12:03 PM »
I read a biography of Wodehouse several years ago by Robert McCrum (recommended, btw). PGW had plenty of flaws. In some respects he never got past being a public schoolboy.   

But he was a great writer. His prose is so spare yet incredibly effective. It's why I think his comedy works so well. His writing never gets in the way of the story. His characters come to life after only a few lines of dialogue. And then, oddly, you are unable to ever again get them out of your head. 

I was surprised (or maybe not) to learn recently that Christopher Hitchens was re-reading Wodehouse during his last days.

Bob     

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 11:55:13 PM »
Wodehouse's activities during the war cannot but sour me to him. His behaviour might not have been treasonous, but it was close enough to warrant close scrutiny. A funny man, but a cretin.

Adam I hope all is well with you, I'm a little concerned as your post is rather ....sharper than normal. Let's also be fair, we've talked with admiration about Wagner's work and never mentioned his character. Oddly I'm at a complete loss as to how the latter could hold such views when I consider the wealth and depth of wisdom in his work, but can accept naivety in a humorist.

Ps he was also, as a lyricist, an important formative influence on the development of Musical Theatre. Arguably "Bill" is the first modern song and a cornerstone of what is now known as The Great American Songbook.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 05:40:21 AM »
Yes, a good comparison, and you are probably right about my being sharper than usual wrt Wodehouse. I have very little tolerance for the English upper classes at the best of times, and when they are (either pretending to be or genuinely are) stupid, that tolerance is reduced even more.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 09:36:17 AM »
Adam,

I think it's great that you take a stand on your beliefs. These easily forgotten historical tidbits are essential not to forget. I find it odd that who now owns the mans archive is a judge of his character. An institution as holy to me as the Vatican could purchase the Michael Jackson catalog and I still would fight not to expose his music to my grandchildren.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 08:35:31 PM »
Is it more difficult to take a stand on beliefs tied to a past era that one did not occupy, contrasted with an era that one did?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 10:18:13 AM »
Is it more difficult to take a stand on beliefs tied to a past era that one did not occupy, contrasted with an era that one did?

As a school teacher yourself you must struggle with that every day. Comparing Nazi collaborators with Michael Jackson enablers would be an interest topic for your class.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back