News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

ANGC Hole Distances for Women's Amateur (Final Round)
« on: March 07, 2019, 08:39:35 PM »
1 - 365           10 - 450
2 - 515           11 - 400
3 - 340           12 - 145
4 - 170           13 - 455
5 - 400           14 - 380
6 - 165           15 - 475
7 - 330           16 - 145
8 - 480           17 - 370
9 - 395           18 - 385

OUT - 3160       IN - 3205
Total - 6365

(That total is approximately 85% of the 7450 ANGC plays for the Masters the next week).

I don't know what the equivalencies are for leading female amateurs as to the typical male recreational players, but I'm looking forward to see how they tackle such a well-known course at a distance that I (would likely) usually play.  When I was a New England college player, our coach always recommended that we (none of us going farther than perhaps a club professional) look to the best female players (as opposed to the mens Tour) for all sorts of models regarding swing, shot strategy and development.

cheers  vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Matthew Rose

Re: ANGC Hole Distances for Women's Amateur (Final Round)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:47:17 PM »
Are those all the members tees or are there any new ones purpose built?

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 01:49:53 AM »
How would that compare to the course as originally designed from the back tees?
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 07:52:24 AM »
How would that compare to the course as originally designed from the back tees?

1933-34 scorecard

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 08:32:50 AM »
Do any of you enjoy watching women play basketball because you can't jump?

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 08:45:24 AM »
Do any of you enjoy watching women play basketball because you can't jump?

actually yes.
It's still basketball-the men jumped the shark years ago and the rules went with it
scale-

Same with golf

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
The women amateurs are essentially playing the current member tees.

Barney, I was hooked on women's hoops starting with Trish The Swish Roberts at Tennessee in the late 70's.  She would have absolutely owned you on the hardwood. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
Mike,

The women of our generation were soft. Even Flo Jo couldn't match me on the track. If I were the fastest woman in the world standing at 6'3" with comparable hops I just may have given TTS a run for her money. We will never know.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »
Just a note: I sat here in all my glory thinking I could have been the fastest woman in the world in 1976. Alas, Caitlin Jenner would have kicked my ass all around and up and down that stadium. What an athlete.

Be careful what you ask for.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 12:10:16 PM »
Not even 10 posts in and the Fragile Male Masculinity complex has reared its ugly head.

I wish the women good luck and think this will be a great tournament for them.

corey miller

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 12:12:15 PM »

My club hosted the USGA women's AM in 2002.  I played a few practice rounds with the ladies and felt that the regular run of the mill member tees were pretty spot on for most of their games.

That said like any great organization, the USGA decided otherwise on a few holes.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »
The latest USGA Women's Amateur was 6,347, so yardages are comparable (but April vs July?)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 06:10:09 PM »

Even Flo Jo couldn't match me on the track.
You ran a 10.4 second 100 meters?  That is very impressive. 

V. Kmetz

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
Deserves a bump as the tournament draws near...and someone mentioned it in 7-8 HCP/appreciate GCA thread...

I hope the distances on 13 & 15 (455/475) allow for a long, risk choice for this class of player...my general assessment is that this group averages 240 -250 off the tee... so 200 - 225 yard shot with that risk will be interesting (as it would totally be for me at this point).

I really think this tournament, under near Masters conditions (probably 10% less fast, and 15% less yards) will provide a wealth of info about how ANGC plays architecturally for the (more) common of us male players.

A good thing.

cheers  vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Chris Cupit

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 08:20:53 PM »
I will be serving as a rules official and look forward to an incredible week and some great golf.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 03:08:36 AM »
I will be serving as a rules official and look forward to an incredible week and some great golf.

Chris bravo!  When will you be on site?  Please give us a rundown on how the course is setup different ahead of the TV coverage as it will be interesting.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Michael Wolf

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 07:37:06 AM »
I thought ANGC already had, in at least one or two cases, added some forward tees in recent years?

There was definitely a 3rd set of tees right at the base of the hill on #8 on one of the days I was there during non-tournament week. I can't remember if they were just tee markers put in the beginning of the fairway, or a distinctly mowed tee box. But that location would line up with the announced yardage for the ladies this week.

I would also echo the same observation as others have posted - my club hosted a practice session for last years Curtis Cup candidates. On the final day of their stay they played our best members in foursomes matches. We lost 8-0 with most of the matches ending on 15 or 16. The matches were from 6,500 yards. The scratch members outdrove most of the ladies, but were nowhere near as good from 100 yards in.

I'll be watching with interest.

Michael

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
85% is about the standard accepted distance for the difference between men and women (or boys and girls), eh? I know that PA high school golf plays at 85% when a girl is on the boys team. It's similar in D3 college events, too.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 10:21:15 AM »
I had dinner last week with a member and this was part of the conversation. The length of the course wasn't discussed but we both thought  the pin placements and green speeds are going to be crucial.

James Brown

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 11:18:28 PM »
Going to my first Masters this year and so looking forward to seeing how the amateur women experience Augusta.  I am 100% in favor the view that amateur men should benchmark themselves against college and pro women golfers. 

I had th pleasure of playing with an LPGA tour golfer in Florida for multiple rounds a couple of years ago and it was absolutely the greatest comparative experience. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back