News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Re: US Amateur venues announced through 2026
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 11:32:42 PM »
I've wondered why SFGC never sees any of this action.  Is the course too short or just not interested in all the bother?

You still have the old guard in firm control and they still want to protect the clubs privacy.  It's a little ridiculous since its fairly easy to get on and pictures of the club are over the internet.

As for the course, it wouldn't be that hard to toughen it up. The 1st and 18th would be reachable but if the greens ran over 12 it would be difficult.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback JB and Joel.  The course look fantastic and no doubt a prime location.

Looking at Google Maps again, looks like it would be a tight fit anyways from a logistics perspective. Small range, not much parking, etc. Not sure you could stage a normal tour event there much less an Open, but a smaller event like a Walker Cup would be nice.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 11:50:50 AM »
Has SFGC started allowing women and Jewish members yet? If not, that'd probably stop them from hosting any USGA events.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 12:13:13 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb that Chambers Bay is done for future consideration, at least in the short long term sense, next 10 years.

Is Erin Hills in same boat?

Until the new poa greens are tested in the 2021 Fourball, Chambers won't be receiving anything new until then. If it is successful, I could see a US Womens Open or something else being announced.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Erin Hills be announced for something in 2020
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

John Blain

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
Has SFGC started allowing women and Jewish members yet? If not, that'd probably stop them from hosting any USGA events.
Ed-
I know for many years the club hosted sectional qualifying for the U.S. Open but stopped because of club discrimination regarding membership practices which I am sure is what you are referring to. You would hope those issues would have been taken care of in today's world but who knows.
-JB

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2019, 06:45:11 PM »
What other public courses should be considered for the Amateur?

I don't know the number for a US Amateur, but to host a US Mid-Am a club has to raise $650,000. There aren't very many public courses that can do this unless they're guaranteed to host a US Open a few years later.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 10:58:41 PM »

I've been playing out there (As a guest) for 20 years and didn't know that existed. The best player at SFGC has been Sally Krueger who has won the SF City a record 10 times. Condi Rice is a member as well so you can double check the race and gender card.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2019, 02:07:13 PM »

I've been playing out there (As a guest) for 20 years and didn't know that existed. The best player at SFGC has been Sally Krueger who has won the SF City a record 10 times. Condi Rice is a member as well so you can double check the race and gender card.

I guess that means they've changed their policy then. I know 10-15 years ago they didn't allow women members and there was speculation they didn't allow Jewish members either, hence why I asked.

It wasn't intended as an attack on the club; it's just a reality that the USGA would not host an event anywhere that had those policies.

Eric LeFante

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 03:27:45 PM »

I don't know the number for a US Amateur, but to host a US Mid-Am a club has to raise $650,000. There aren't very many public courses that can do this unless they're guaranteed to host a US Open a few years later.

Clubs incur $650,000 of additional expenses to host the US Mid Am and the USGA doesn't reimburse them?

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 04:40:55 PM »

Clubs incur $650,000 of additional expenses to host the US Mid Am and the USGA doesn't reimburse them?

I'm not sure of specifics. But the head of the committee at a club hosting an upcoming Mid-Am told me that number specifically; it's fact. Between course adjustments and maintenance, food for a week (often at two clubs), the Players Dinner and Host Committee Party, producing yardage books, players gifts, etc., it adds up. And a US Am has 20% more players.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 11:54:37 PM »
Matt, that is a huge number and beyond the financial capabilities of most clubs.  Also, the total doesn't pencil out based on your list (food, gifts) unless the course adjustments you mention are significant.  No club would spend that amount of money without a guarantee of a future USGA windfall (a US Open...the only windfall), and I don't think that is a bet worth taking based on hosting the Mid-Am...there are no "US Open" venues among Mid-Am sites.  If Kinloch or another future site is spending that kind of $$ to host the Mid-Am, then more power to them but that is a bad financial decision IMO.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »
I would like too see more variety in the clubs hosting the Amateur. It should not be a Major venue, pick others clubs that have a great course that haven’t hosted a major in the last 20 years.

I’m under the impression it’s kind of a package deal with the US Open. It gives both the club and the USGA a test run of sorts. Of course, I could be completely mistaken, that’s merely my impression, not born of any insider knowledge.

They sure as heck should do that before another Open at Shinney.... :)

George, it certainly used to be that way, but in the case of Hazeltine, I doubt that the members believe there's much chance that the U.S. Open will return there. They made the decision to throw in with the PGA years ago, and have been richly rewarded with two PGA championships and two Ryder Cups. I think Hazeltine's willingness to host another U.S. Am speaks more to the club fulfilling its mandate as an asset to championship golf in all its possible iterations.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back