GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

I wish more 6,300 yard courses were as dynamic as Pinehurst No. 2

<< < (8/8)

Ryan Hillenbrand:

--- Quote from: Ran Morrissett on January 21, 2019, 06:26:15 PM ---Thomas,

We need to get you here - and you know what? As soon as I saw your name, I knew I had screwed up. Our beloved Old Minchinhampton qualifies based on its awesome one shotters and some par 5s (and a few 4s) that can be had. Lots of 'to and fro' at Old Minch.

Steve,

Yes it does - great greens provide enormous flexibility and reduce the requirement of length.

Tim G,

Very good call and I am particularly happy to see your reference of wide fairways at CB. A few years ago, I received emails with photos that backed up the contention that the fairways were cruelly narrow, lined with thick rough left and right. Hopefully, that was a weather related blip vs. the club making a conscious decision to be a 'world top 100 course.'  :-\ 

Tim M.,

I played with members, so it is $100, carrying your own bag, for a period of time in January and February. Add in Dormie and its dormant fairways and THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO COME TO MOORE COUNTY. I have been invited to X,Y and Z this January and February and I tell everyone, No chance - I can play No. 2 and there is no place in the world I would rather be this time of year.

Mark,What I should have written is, 'Given that - literally - every modern architect I know has been to No. 2, why are their efforts sterile in comparison?' Would that have made you happy?  8) If you see something, learn from it and the course set-up of Pinehurst No. 2 has been on display for decades; don't know why the pick-up elsewhere is so slow.

James,

I agree and it's why the Ryder Cup should go back there as all kinds of things can occur.

Tom,

Rye has one 'give' hole - the 1st - and then it is a beating thereafter given its very 'tight' and unmerciful par of 68 so ….. I think your courses are a better example of wild swings of fortune. I would have more birdies on No. 2 in one week than I would at Rye in a year.  :'(

Peter,

Totally get your point and I would add that Pinehurst No. 2 didn't take its final form until the mid-1930s, and by then steel reigned. I have a beautiful hickory set from Ralph Livingston but the thought of using it at No. 2 is a 'no-go' as the architect built No. 2 with other implements in mind. Congrats to Pinehurst for not moving the tee up on 8, for instance, and calling it/making it a par 4 for the retail player.

Paul,

Given that No. 2 has relatively mundane topography, it is unlikely to WOW the first time player that perhaps in this day and age has played some great golf along big bodies of water. At some point though in the golfer's maturation process, he may come to appreciate that a three foot rise and tight short grass is both more debilitating AND more meaningful from a golf perspective than a dramatic dune 20 times bigger. The Mid Pines mafia is strong here but Mid Pines is also over-seeded this time of year  :P and Pinehurst No. 2 is dormant and firm, so even the Mayor of Mid Pines would acknowledge that one course shines now - and the other doesn't.

--- End quote ---

Ran convinced me to try a trip to the area in February. I have time for 2 rounds, and I've narrowed it to Mid Pines, Tobacco Road, Dormie and #4. Southern Pines is a contender too.

Opinions on which two to prioritize? I haven't played any of them. Thanks for the input.

Jay Mickle:
Ryan,
You have chosen well. I recommend your 1st three courses to visitors looking to experience the best of the area if not playing #2.
Mid Pines on the basis its Ross lineage, topography, routing and design. Hard not to walk back to the first hole for another go.
Tobacco Road because it is in a league of its own. Best played with someone familiar with the course for full appreciation.
Dormie is a great course but you have likely played similar C&C courses. Perhaps the best variety of greens in the Sandhills.
#4 needs time to mature.
Southern Pines a fine routing but n to up to the level of your other choices

Steve Kline:
I would go with Mid Pines for sure. Fun, old school Ross layout with some really interesting greens. Easily walkable. Great renovation work.

I loved Dormie when I played it, but that was almost 5 years ago.

Tobacco Road is unique. It's worth a play. But, having played it several times, I'm not all that excited about playing it again. Especially, as I'm not as good as I was right now and I could see myself losing a ton of balls.

So, I would go with #4 as my second choice. I've played "#4" since the late '80s. I'd be really interested to see Hanse's version and what's different about it. I would want to see if they have something that can provide an alternative to #2, because they never really have. And, that for me is why Pinehurst the resort lags behind Bandon, Sand Valley and Streamsong, which all have multiple courses you want to play.

However, my second choice is very personal. If you've never played a Strantz course, then I would probably say play Tobacco Road.

Ryan Hillenbrand:
Thanks guys, I think it'll be Tobacco Road and Mid Pines with a stay at Pine Crest Inn. I did the Pinehurst resort experience before and did 2 (post reno) , 4 & 8, but was new in my architecture journey and realized I missed a lot.

Jerry Kluger:
Steve: Good luck with Tobacco Road - should do Pine Needles instead.  If you do play TR you must play with someone who has played it before or somehow get hold of a yardage book.  And yes, if you tend to spray it bring lots of balls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version