News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Re: Midwest USA GCA Knockout - 2019 (Reply #38 For Bracket)
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2019, 08:18:15 AM »
Tom Allen and I are going to play our match at Hyde Park Country Club (a Ross course that has had some nice restoration work done) in Cincinnati on a weekday afternoon once the weather turns a little warmer. Any other match that would like to join us is welcome.

Steve, Brad sent a PM. Would love to meet up with you guys if we can arrange schedules.

Of course, maybe this is the opportunity to check out Shawnee Lookout while it still exists. It'll be NLE after 2019, so time's running out on checking out this, um, interesting course. I haven't played it in a long time, and will have to make sure to get one more round in this year. Sherpas and supplemental oxygen optional.

I'm not too interested in seeing Shawnee.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2019, 08:40:31 PM »
I'm not too interested in seeing Shawnee.

For a match, I totally agree and was just kidding. I think seeing my childhood backyard, Delhi Par 3, completely ripped up to a dirt pile is tugging at my nostalgic heart strings just a bit, no matter how bad that course is. The public golf courses on the Westside of Cincinnati are dropping like flies.

Brad Engel

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2019, 10:13:08 AM »
The weather and golf this Friday were far from good, but the course and the camaraderie certainly were! In a rematch of last year's opening round of the knockout, Criss and I battled back and forth over the first 17 holes with very few halved holes. I managed to claw my way back to all square on the back 9 and pulled it out on the 18th as the skies really opened up. Engel wins 1 up.

This was most of the group's first time out at Hyde Park and we all walked away impressed. The recent work to expand a number of greens has resulted in some of the most interesting and challenging putting surfaces in the city outside of Camargo. The internal land movement was dramatic in spots, such as the uphill approach to the par-4 4th hole and the double ravine feature on the stout par-3 12th. Tree removal over the last 10 or so years has really opened up some great long views across the course where you can now really see all of the movement. At one point our group discussed what it would have been like to play some of these dramatic features back in the early 1900's when the course was first opened, no easy feat indeed.

Huge thanks to Steve for hosting this round of matches!

Steve Kline

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2019, 06:22:52 PM »
Tom and I played our match along side Brad and Criss.

The weather was not great and the course was very wet because of all the rain. But hats off to Pat O’Brien and team for greens that were still reasonably firm and rolled very well despite being aerated two weeks before. Without the rain slowing the greens down, the putting would have been much more difficult with all the internal movement in the greens.

I had the distinct advantage of playing my home course and playing almost 30 rounds already this year while Tom was playing his first. So I am moving on to the next round.

Tom, Brad, and Criss - thanks for coming out to Hyde Park and I was glad I could host you. And, as always, true GCAers that braved the weather.

Tom Allen

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »

Steve is being generous and humble--his advantage was not that we played on his home course: his advantage is that he is a much better golfer than I am. :)  By far.  He was fun to watch, and has a swing I am very jealous of.  Our match was a decidedly not-even-close contest (I might have lost 7 and 6, but we won't tell anyone).  I had a great time despite my play, hopefully making a few new GCA friends along the way.

I did want to congratulate Steve, and mention that I had a great time meeting everyone.  I really enjoyed my round at Hyde Park; it was in great condition, given the conditions.  ;)

Thanks very much for hosting us Steve, and great playing! Good luck, and I will be rooting for you!

Tom

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2019, 10:08:37 PM »
With apologies, I must report I won’t be able to play at Forest Dunes in round one, as it was the only time I could carve out of my schedule to travel to Africa for The Confidential Guide.  I will be playing golf in Mauritius on the appointed day! 

Congrats to Ryan Taylor on his first round bye (you can be referee for the other match) and good luck against the winner in Round 2!

Buck Wolter

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2019, 10:58:41 PM »
With apologies, I must report I won’t be able to play at Forest Dunes in round one, as it was the only time I could carve out of my schedule to travel to Africa for The Confidential Guide.  I will be playing golf in Mauritius on the appointed day! 

Congrats to Ryan Taylor on his first round bye (you can be referee for the other match) and good luck against the winner in Round 2!

We are unwinding our trip. Brad and I will play somewhere in Wisconsin and the winner will make arrangements with Ryan.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »
In a rematch from the last knockout, John McCarthy and I went out yesterday morning for our match at Chicago Highlands. 

The winds were up (even at 7AM) and our games were down, but I eventually got my revenge for last years' shellacking and won the battle of attrition 3 and 2.  Huge thanks to John for working with me on scheduling the match.

Thanks,
Joe

Mike Bodo

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing with Evan Fleischer and host, Matt Bielawa, at the historic Inverness Club in Toledo yesterday and for 15 holes (before the hail, rain, lightning and thunder arrived) had perhaps the most enjoyable round ever on a golf course. The course itself was in immaculate shape, with the putting surfaces in pristine condition. I'm still processing mentally the holes we did complete to give the course a partial ranking, but having caddied and played on Oakland Hills South, it's right there with it if not slightly above given it's playability post-renovation. While it was windy as heck for much of the match, we managed to get around in fairly good fashion. As fate would have it, I managed to close-out my partner 5 & 4 on the last hole we were able to officially complete to move on to the next round.

Much thanks and appreciation to Matt for hosting Evan and I and thanks to Evan for being a fun and welcoming playing partner. I thoroughly enjoyed our time together and look forward to hooking up and playing some of the iconic courses no one really talks about much in the Cleveland area. Have a great (and hopefully dry) summer, gentlemen! I look forward to seeing and playing with each of you in the future.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Nigel Islam

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2019, 10:04:11 AM »
     I just realized that I neglected to post about the match between John Mayhugh and myself on May 3. We chose to play the Mike Hurdzan course built in the former site of the relocated town of English, IN. Of course playing a match on land the town abandoned for flooding in early May might not have been the best decision, but it did lead to some adventures. The path from 6 green to 7 tee runs along the Patoka River, and was blocked by a few trees. Luckily the bridge was still intact and we were walking.
    Back to the match, the course was definitely interesting. It has improved so much from when I played it in 2005. The green surfaces were undulated and  nice, and the charm of playing through the streets of a ghost town is matched only by rolling hills of Southern Indiana. I was able to play a little above my head at times, and made a couple birdies closing John out on 15. He promptly proceeded to birdie 16 of course. Islam wins the match, and I believe Ryan Hillenbrand are going to have our rematch at Norwood in St. Louis in June 11.

SL_Solow

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2019, 09:20:16 PM »
I was happy to host Jon Winick today at Briarwood.  While the golf wasn't great, the weather and the camaraderie more than made up for it. I managed to outlast Jon and advance.

Steve Kline

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2019, 06:14:27 AM »
Chris Sturges and I played our match at Springfield Country Club yesterday. It was the first time for both of us.

We were both surprised by the ample size of the property and that there was plenty of room between the tree lines to play. We were expecting it to feel much more cramped. Also, it was interesting that about half of the holes played through the edge of a hill while the other half were on virtually dead flat ground. The course has some serious false fronts on some of the greens, many greens slope hard back to front, there was a nice punch bowl green and one that was 15 or so feet above the fairway with a thumbprint in it.

Hats off to the superintendent as the course was in fantastic condition. The course was firm and fast, the greens hardly left a ball mark, and the greens were quick and true. When I hit my first shot on the driving range I knew the fairways were going to be great. The driving range had some of the best turf I had hit off in quite a while. I would love to hit balls their all the time.

While trees have been removed based on a previous course profile on GCA, more tree removal would be great. I would take out every pine tree as they are awful to play around, they block views, and, from what I've been told, a real maintenance problem. Other trees could be removed too to open up some better views across the course. The pond on 18 seemed out of place, particularly as it sat above the 18th fairway. And, it had the obligatory fountain.

The course felt like it was in no-man's land. But, I would be happy to have that course as my home course.

The golf was less inspiring than the course. We hardly halved a hole on the front as Christ took a 1 up lead. I manage to claw back and 2 up with two to play. Chris won the last two to halve the match. Since Chris did well last year, he magnanimously allowed me to move on to play the next match.

And, Chris had some interesting stories about trying to play all the public golf courses in northern Ohio. Who knew a police officer would consider a golf club a deadly weapon.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2019, 07:10:01 PM »

Hats off to the superintendent as the course was in fantastic condition. The course was firm and fast, the greens hardly left a ball mark, and the greens were quick and true. When I hit my first shot on the driving range I knew the fairways were going to be great.

Great timing for conditions.  I figure sectional qualifying is a known date they try and get the course looking great for and you played days afterwards.

The course is usually in good condition but I figure it doesn't get much better than what you saw.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2019, 02:37:19 PM »

Brad Hill and I played our match at Sand Valley yesterday on a gorgeous day. Brad's scratch travelled much better than my 10 and he's moving on.
I don't know if he's always like yesterday but I've never seen a straighter driver of the ball than Brad (pretty long too) --fun to watch.
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
My first time around Sand Valley and it was exceptional. I think it looked harder than it was but I struggled to pick a line on the angled fairways and when they weren't angled it seemed like there were centerline hazards to contend with, I don't remember ever playing that many sand shots in one round. Greens looked much faster than they were, not slow but I gave them way too much respect.

As an FYI, Brad is an Arborist, we need to coax him into tree discussions on here.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Brad Hill

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2019, 12:52:31 AM »
I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Buck what a pleasure.

I have mixed opinion on the architecture at Sand Valley but as a blue-collar boy, I can't think of a more enjoyable playing experience in Wisconsin. Its' the turf surface. With a normal wet, cool Wisconsin spring, SV plays like Brora in late July. Not quite but with the right wind conditions it smells the same.

In the end, I think there will be more fun had at Mammoth Dunes.

Playing the Sandbox is better than going to the range.
Please don't pass the Schlitz in any red canoe.
If you have the chance to play with Buck, play with Buck.
Under no circumstances miss the Nye's.

JReese

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2019, 03:14:02 PM »
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

JReese

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2019, 03:17:02 PM »
There are still 3 first round matches that need to be played.  If you know you aren't going to be able to complete your match, let me know so we can get the bracket moving along.  If I don't hear from either player by next Friday 6/21, I will flip a coin to determine who advances. 
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2019, 08:30:30 PM »
James, Engel won our match.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
In a rematch of last year, the results were the same with the good Dr. Islam dusting me, though it did go to the last hole. I’d like to blame it on coming straight from the Blues Stanley Cup parade but I was stone cold sober. We played the always fun Langford designed St. Clair CC along with his smartly named son Ryan. It was good for a son to see his dad beat up on someone. Good luck Nigel!

Josh Bills

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »
I have conceded my match to Mr. Steele. 

Drew Groeger

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2019, 11:26:17 AM »
Jon Adkins and I have had some scheduling challenges but are currently slated to play our match on Sunday at Joliet CC. Apologies for the delay.

Jon Adkins

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2019, 09:36:16 PM »
Drew Groeger and I played our match this afternoon at Joliet Golf Club (fka Joliet CC). After a torrential downpour as we finished No. 4, the sun came out and we enjoyed a good walk and good conversation. I managed to win the match 3&1.
[/size]
[/size]The course, originally laid out by Bendelow, is a mixed bag. The land is pretty solid with good movement, and there are some interesting green complexes and strategic design in place. My primary gripes are the overgrown trees, tight playing corridors, and awkward walks between greens and tees (12 to 13?!). The course also has a handful of newer holes on the back nine that clearly deviate from the feel of the originals. Drew and I agreed that there are probably 18 decent holes out there, but they’re not presented that way today.

[/size]

JReese

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2019, 04:18:38 PM »

Drew Groeger

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2019, 06:08:13 PM »

Luckily my ability to converse is better than my ability to hit out of a wet bunker! As Jon said, it was a good afternoon of golf and talk. He's a fine fellow and I hope to golf with him again sometime.

The course itself is a curiosity, particularly the routing. It's been worked over several times (Tom Bendelow-1905, Nugent/Killian-1969, David Esler-2001) which accounts for that. In a nutshell (good, bad or otherwise): Crazy long walks between 2/3 and 12/13, back-to-back par 3s on the front, you make the clubhouse turn after 8, you get teleported to a completely-different-feel golf course for the 13th and 14th holes, no cart paths to speak of.

Pics of some of the more interesting holes, all original Bendelow's:
470 yd, par-5 2nd hole: Plays downhill most of the way, particularly the final third, where the green is protected by a prominent bunker on the right and (now) trees on the left.

A fall away green, not something you see alot of in the US, makes the approach tricky.

400 yd, par-4 5th hole: Slight dogleg right into a deep, narrow green set at a subtle angle. Approach requires a carry over an angling creek about 35 yards short of the green.

350 yd, par-4 16th hole: Jon and I chatted a bit at the tee about the options presented here. The same creek from the 5th hole has meandered it's way across the property and snakes through the 16th fairway. Laying up right to an open green approach seems reasonable, but its very narrow down that side. Carrying the creek up the left doesn't require a big hit but it will leave you with a heavily guarded approach. A bomb up the left might find the bunkers, which would be a challenging up-and-down. Fun stuff.

Brad Hill

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2019, 11:15:16 AM »
Ryan and I played our match over a very wet Lost Dunes. They had the course in great shape considering some bridges were under water. I particularly enjoyed the contouring of the greens.

Thanks Ryan for setting this up and I hope we cross paths again.

I won our match 2 and 1 and will advance to the next round.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back