News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Re: Martin Ebert to restore Hugh Alisonʼs Japanese masterpiece Hirono
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 04:38:38 PM »
Going to do a Japan trip in April next year.  Any more word on Hirono and opening date?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Michael Wolf

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 05:41:45 PM »
I don't know if it's officially open, but it's ready and people are playing. I leave for Japan next week and I have a game scheduled at Hirono for November 7th. I'm very excited to see it, obviously.

Michael

Jeff Schley

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 02:07:34 PM »
I don't know if it's officially open, but it's ready and people are playing. I leave for Japan next week and I have a game scheduled at Hirono for November 7th. I'm very excited to see it, obviously.

Michael
Please report back.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Lou_Duran

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 09:05:39 PM »
I was told by someone who should know that the opening was on Oct. 1.  The same source stated that the club would not allow guests for six months.  I was to have a tour of the course this past Friday, but it did not come to pass. 

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 04:38:31 PM »
The videos that Elbert and Mac showed over the course of two weeks on a daily basis were stunning.
The project looks like an amazing success with a finished product that only enhances its position on top of my to play list.
Not sure if I will ever make it to Japan, but if I do.......

David Davis

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2019, 03:09:02 AM »
Gents,

I no longer post photos here, too much hassle unfortunately but if anyone is interested I'm running a kind of tour on my IG account of the new Hirono courtesy of the wonderful work of Ebert & Mackenzie. It looks brilliant I have to say and they have put in extensive work to regain the width (even though IMO could of done even more tree removal). I'm sure that was extremely difficult but full bunker and green renovation is just brilliant.

@top100golftraveler
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2019, 03:23:45 AM »
Glad to hear that this has been such a success. Who was doing the shaping? Seem to remember it was one of the GCA participants - Ryan?

EDIT: I see it was / is Quinn Thompson.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:17:46 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »
To All:

I've reviewed the M&E website and followed their work at Hirono with the rest of you.  Most of the coverage is a one for one review of holes before and after.  And I fall on the side of very happy with what I've seen. 

However, one of the unanswered questions, which the club might never have asked, is that the routing by Alison has been changed.  Was the routing restored?  I have not seen a master routing drawing by M&E similar, say, to what they did at Ancaster.  So there's nothing to compare with "original" drawings or what is on GE today. 

Anyone have info re the routing history, and changes or new changes?
Anthony

Michael Wolf

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2019, 08:41:09 PM »
Anthony,

there is a reproduction of Alison's routing map dated 1932 in the Hirono 50th anniversary club history book. It shows the original Alison routing nearly identical to what exists today. Biggest variance looks to be about a 30 degree rotation clockwise of the 14th hole so that it plays more diagonal across the gulley.

The 50th book also contains images of all 18 holes sketched out on graph paper, very similar to the ones Colt produced.

I am playing Hirono with Quinn Thompson next week. I'll let you know if he's seen any further documentation. Hirono is said to have a world class library, so I'm sure if it exists they'll have it.

Michael

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2019, 12:16:08 PM »
Michael:

Thanks so much for the info.  The direction of 14 is what I recall from seeing an  earlier routing plan, maybe the same one you suggest.  I thought it actually crossed one of the other holes.  I'll keep an eye out for that 50th anniversary book. 

I think many would like an update after you've tested the course!

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back