News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

World Atlas of Golf update
« on: October 22, 2003, 12:06:08 PM »
This old book is due for another update - it still sells well and makes decent money for its publisher.  It was a classic in its time (1976) and it's been updated many times by dozens of contributors from the UK and USA, but I confess there are huge errors of omission, errors of fact through plain ignorance (especially on my part), and errors of judgement about which courses should or should not be included.  In the end, the available budget and possible co-production deals will dictate just how much serious amendment can take place but, for the moment, there is no reason why we should not aspire at least to clear out the duds and make way for the unjustly neglected.

I shall not clutter up this site with an enormous document listing all the courses currently represented.  So if anyone would like to peruse the list and my comments and concerns about each of them, E-mail me at markrowlinson@btopenworld.com and I'll sent it as a Word or txt attachment.

I should very much value your constructive criticisms as there is so much wisdom, experience and 'savvy' amongst the contributors to this site.  Feel free to comment about any aspect - not only the courses themselves, but the balance of the coverage, neglected architects, unrepresented regions, and, especially, judgements that are 25 years out of date.  I cannot promise that all your concerns can be addressed, but I'd love to incorporate as many as possible into the agenda for my next meeting with the commissioning editor in, probably, a month's time.

Many thanks, in eager anticipation,

Mark Rowlinson.

Norbert P

Re:World Atlas of Golf update
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 06:58:39 PM »
Just wanted to float this to the top in case anybody missed it.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 07:10:07 PM »
Let's keep this one near the top for a day or two...

Mark,
The WAofG smiles at me daily from my bookshelf, and probably got me my MSc, so I would be happy to assist in ANY way I can to keep it topical. Please feel free to email me if I can help...

Martin.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 10:33:43 PM »
Mark,

I shot you an e-mail.  As I mentioned previously in other communications, I would be overjoyed to help in any way.

Chris

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 05:15:50 AM »
I'm charmed that so many of you have taken the trouble to respond to my request.  The number of offers of help with contacts etc is immensely kind - you are true friends, though I have met none of you.  It'll not surprise you that Bandon/Pacific Dunes, Sand Dunes, Whistling Straits, and Friar's Head are heading the list of suggested inclusions so far.  Many thanks, indeed!  Mark.

CHC1948

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 11:12:28 AM »
Mark,

I agree, a lot has changed in 25 years.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 11:24:49 AM »
I've had further kind responses and I think the thing that sticks out is that we must include the most outstanding examples of an architect's work and that goes for RTJ, Dye, Nicklaus, Fazio and company as well as Mackenzie, Tillie and so on.  Some of the current contents are not the best examples.  I'm certainly keen to reflect the finest new work such as Sand Hills, Bandon and so on.  On this site there are a great many correspondents with  an encyclopaedic knowledge of the great North American courses and some pretty thorough knowledge of Europe.  Can anyone point me to experts in the less familiar regions such as South America, Africa and the Far East?  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 02:11:27 PM »
Dear Mark,

The World Atlas of Golf was given to me by a friend of my father's when I was 14, and helped me to believe that there was a career for me in golf architecture.  I would love to help with the book in whatever capacity ... including writing a page or so about it.

Please e-mail me at renaissancegolf@aol.com and we can chat about it.  I do have friends in Asia and South Africa who might be of help in those sections.

David Wigler

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 02:31:34 PM »
Mark,

I know of no finer authority on South African golf then fellow GCA'er Bob Huntley.  I suggest sending him an IM.  He would probably enjoy helping.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 08:05:32 AM »
I let my editor see some of the truly affectionate comments about World Atlas that many of you have made.  He is bowled over and is printing them off to show his bosses at his next meeting with them.  Let's hope it persuades them to increase the budget!

Willie_Dow

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2003, 05:14:07 PM »
Mark

Your revision and edification in the 3rd Edition, 1991, has the same North American lineup by Charles Price that existed with the 1st edition in 1976, isn't that correct?

Without laboring through both volumes, what changes between those 15 years do you recognize now, and what will you be looking for since 1991?

I liked Tom Doak's input, and perhaps he could fill in for Charles Price's absence.  I bet Charles would like that as he was one of golf's greatest thinkers in modern times, IMHO.

Willie

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 05:26:25 PM »
Mark -

I think I own at least 4 different editions.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2003, 06:49:58 PM »
Willie,

1991 was a minimal revision of what was there before.  It was the business of dealing with when a long par 4 had become a short par 5 and vice versa, such as the 1st at West Sussex.  It was minimal things such as the old 14th at Royal Melbourne - short par 5 or long par 4.  The club told me what is was at that time and it has probably changed every year ever sibce,

There was no question of changing major things apart from demoting Killarney to the gazetteer because the classic course had been split in two and we could insert Ballybunion.  The next edition was nothing to do with me.  It had then been taken over by Hamlyn and they asked the journalist Derek Lawrenson to make the next update, including a complete rewrite on Ballybunion - a completely new text, but I'm too self-effacing to replace his with mine.  I do not mean this in any disrespectful way to Derek, whom I know not, but his brief may not have been the same as mine.

I came back into the frame in the late 1990s and I have not had carte blanche to change everything.  That said, I have not known everything.  One of my biggest problems has been getting information out of clubs which simply cannot be bothered to respond.  

One of the things that has emerged from my initial posting on GCA is the huge respect that so many people have for the book and how they would like to contribute to its restoration as something of worth.  I am so grateful.  At last I am given some sort of quantitative evaluation of which courses should be promoted, demoted, deleted or introduced for the first time.  I get a genuine barometer.  In the end, of course, the publisher's budget will decide what I can and cannot do. But he will have had a professional appraisal of the task in hand from a pulling together of all your worthwhile comments.  Keep them coming in!  They are all very valuable!

Mark.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2003, 06:53:00 PM »
George - you own more than I do.  Your opinions will be the most valuable of all!

Mark.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 08:54:09 AM »
Mark

You are on the right track, I think.

Even an update on the golf ball, by Acushnet, should help pay the freight!

Willie

Willie_Dow

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2003, 10:28:20 PM »
Hey - George Pazin!

Those four volumes need help to keep them in the collectors' file.

This is a good old book that needs an update.  I don't know who did the drawings of the courses, and whether or not he is still available, but the workmanship that went into this classic should be updated.

Tell us what you read into your editions.

Willie

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2003, 09:16:41 AM »
George - you own more than I do.  Your opinions will be the most valuable of all!

Mark.

Not bloody likely! :) The one thing I can offer is the perspective of the newer golfer who's dreaming of what else is out there.

Willie -

I've already received my email from Mark & am working on my current wish list. Can't wait for the latest update. It wasn't until your post that I realized that my post could imply I have enough copies - I don't think I can ever have enough of this book! :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 09:38:46 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back