News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Finn

Some Guy’s Backyard (Brough Creek National)
« on: December 12, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »
For everyone who ever dreamed of building their own course, please take a few minutes to check out https://someguysbackyard.com/

What started as a relatively modest plan to build a backyard golf hole has expanded in scope to become Brough Creek National.

I recently stumbled upon their story, and just loved the passion and dedication. It’s the best thing I’ve seen in the golf world in a while.  I hope many of you will agree.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:19:34 AM by Brian Finn »
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Scott Warren

Re: Some Guy’s Backyard
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »
Pretty cool, eh?! I started a thread about it a couple of months back but it seemed the good folk of GCA.com were unimpressed.

Brian Finn

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »
Pretty cool, eh?! I started a thread about it a couple of months back but it seemed the good folk of GCA.com were unimpressed.
I’m sorry I missed that. I’m pretty impressed. 
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
what a great idea. I actually did a similar thing in my Dad's backyard. He had 25 acres and I built five holes. Three par threes and two par fours. The greens were very rough but cut down so they could be putted.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 09:17:30 PM »
It's a very neat story. Glad he's enjoying it and it's cool its gotten as much attention as it has. Love the memberships that he hands out.
H.P.S.

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 10:23:56 PM »
 8)  Most prestigious club-to-be membership out there!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Peter Flory

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 12:47:07 AM »
Great story.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 04:00:47 AM »
Nice venture. I wish them well.
A few sheep, some goats and a restricted ball would be good additions.
atb

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
$3500 for the whole thing?  Mucci could fund this with pocket change!   ;)

https://someguysbackyard.com/build-calculator/

Kevin McLaughlin

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »

Scott, thanks for posting those links & BF for bringing this back in discussion.  Scanned through the charting of their progress via the NLU forum.  Great story & love the enthusiasm and their spirit.

Brian Finn

Re: Some Guy’s Backyard (Brough Creek National)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »
The guys over at Brough Creek National (BCN) are starting to get some legit consultants involved. 

Michael McCartin - who many of you may know has worked for Tom Doak & Renaissance, and also designed/built The Schoolhouse Nine (http://www.schoolhousenine.com/) in Virginia - has provided some input and guidance already.

Keith Rhebb - who is also well known for his work with Coore & Crenshaw and for partnering with Riley Johns on projects including the Winter Park 9 near Orlando - has also connected with the guys building BCN to share his knowledge and experience.

I realize this project is not the first of its kind, but it's easily one of the coolest things of which I am aware.  Plus, how incredible are the people in the golf world (McCartin, Rhebb, et al) - offering up advice, money, labor, and equipment - to try to help these guys fulfill their dream?  I love it.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 01:03:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/someguysbackyrd/status/1177203348577107970

It looks like the course is now open.

Looking at that green at the 2:27 mark...I want a piece of that. So simple and yet, it fits the land so well. The contours look so natural.

Well done to those guys. If I'm ever in the area, I'll absolutely check this out.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »
Is he gonna have permit issues? I suspect he got none...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »

Please delete. Unwoke.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 02:02:11 PM »

Please delete. Unwoke.

I'm no expert in this area, but would think he could be fined or shutdown or both.  Awake or not it wouldn't change that reality...

P.S.  You really show Wake up yourself and find out where the term came from...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 02:05:11 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 02:13:34 PM »
Gentlemen do not inquire if you have paid your taxes or if your permits are in order.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 02:21:34 PM »
Barney,

You got it all twisted.  This project looks awesome and I would hate to see it get shut down for lack of permitting...

JESII

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 03:44:57 PM »
So you scream...how’s their permitting?

Fantasy Land

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 03:48:26 PM »
No caps here, just a simple question.  And its not like permitting is never or even only rarely discussed here...

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »
http://www.cedarsgolfclub.com/about.html

reminds me of this s bit-though Cedar's has had quite an upgrade evidently since I was last there
1150 yards-13 acres

perfect pairing with Friar's Head though access much more difficult at Cedars ;D

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
Permitting is a fair question. I don't think it would be much of a concern from an environmental aspect as it looks like they did little alteration to the land. I would be thinking more along the lines of zoning. Increased traffic, cars, parking that are associated with the "course" would be a headache for the neighbors (if there are any). I can picture the WOKE instagram crowd travelling en masse from 5 states over to play a 15 minute round and buy some swag.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »

In the "reminds me of"... category:  Jack built himself a golf green and soon realized that he might as well build another instead of just walking back to the tee, and before you know it...

http://undermountaingolf.com/aboutus.html

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Steve Lang

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »
I've communicated a bit with BCN's management, and have it on my hit list for 2021...  just saw the gm_golf kids vid of playing there... looks like fun

https://youtu.be/aGT9p0-Xxsc

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back