News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Edward Glidewell

Re: PGA Moving to Frisco, TX - Drone Footage of the Land
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 07:59:50 PM »
I think it will be a much harder sell to get people to visit and play golf at a PGA HQ in a suburb of Dallas as opposed to the coast in Florida. Someone could take their whole family to Port St. Lucie and spend time at the beach in addition to playing a round of golf at the PGA Village. I also wonder if they'll move the annual merchandise show, because I think they might see a drop in attendance if so.

But we'll see! It'll obviously help if the courses in Frisco are better than the ones in Port St. Lucie (which shouldn't be difficult), but I doubt it'll ever be a major golf only destination when places like Bandon and Streamsong exist.

David_Tepper

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2019, 11:40:52 AM »
Video on the design of the new courses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx89gLcVJCQ

mike_beene

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2020, 12:11:49 AM »
If the Tampa Bay Rays end up in Frisco ( and if baseball remains a major sport) there could be some families coming for golf and baseball. There are a few months you can't predict the weather but probably get lucky. And then there is August when no one should be interested. There is a lot of population within a few hundred miles and the chance to play a course which has hosted a major is not available to many. Dallas Fort Worth is probably 8 million people.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2020, 01:33:29 PM »
If the Tampa Bay Rays end up in Frisco ( and if baseball remains a major sport) there could be some families coming for golf and baseball. There are a few months you can't predict the weather but probably get lucky. And then there is August when no one should be interested. There is a lot of population within a few hundred miles and the chance to play a course which has hosted a major is not available to many. Dallas Fort Worth is probably 8 million people.

You homer!

Hadn't heard about the Rays.  What did I miss?  One can go see the AA 'Riders on any given night and sit wherever you want to.  I suppose that the Rays might be used to that.  Can DFW support two mediocre big league franchises?

Pricing the PGA courses will be tricky.  I haven't seen the proformas, but if the rack rates are north of $225 as I've heard, good luck.

mike_beene

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2020, 11:29:31 PM »
Lou: I still considered baseball an important sport when I wrote the post. This rumor, unconfirmed, started with the Rangers moving people around and raising prices for artificial turf baseball. My guys split tickets with one of the Hunt Oil companies who says they are out with the increases. I think I have enough money people from my club and that other club we were talking about but the Rangers will be an obstacle and everyone is losing interest. The labor situation looks bleak. Not that Tampa would notice. Playing golf sounds more interesting than sports ownership anyway.

Adam G

Thomas Dai

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2020, 01:00:21 PM »
Recent photos posted on social media.
atb

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2020, 11:41:21 AM »
Toured PGA Frisco (Hanse, only saw Welling from a distance) a week ago.  Very nice, with lots of "new" ideas. 

-Some ditch grass bunkers (I’ve done those, not quite as severe) with a combo of buffalo and Bermuda on the banks so one shot in may sit high, another low.  Some knobs, not sure if they are supposed to look like Texas size ant hills, but unique.

- On 12, he has a big “waste bunker” left although it is just chunked up ground, no sand yet, so not sure the plan.  There is a trench where it looked like a 4” tile went, and when they decided to self-drain, they just left that trench in the waste bunker, again, presumably to mete out random lies.

- A few bunkers that start as formal and transition to waste at the rear, a few that are waste in the front and transition to formal at the back.  Pretty neat. (The photo above shows one of them)

- Even the formal sand bunkers have a nice mix of blobs with rugged edges vs. more traditional cape and bay style.

- Tees surrounds are shaped a lot, and most run straight into the fairway, a la George Thomas’ Fair tee.

- Gil didn’t allow a box blade or drag mat on the property, so the fairways have a nice old fashioned rough surface look to them.

-A lot of the green run ups are pretty sharp, including the first short par 4.  Guessing he is trying to encourage and then potentially stop the drive from reaching the green?  Or let the long hitters use it to slow down their shots.

-A lot of upslope and minor mounding at 340 yards.  Carry bunkers from 270-300, most flanking bunkers at 300 or so.

-All par 5 holes over 600.  Gil wants them to be true three shot holes.  I liked 14 second LZ a lot.  A cross bunker and some other bunkers both sides, creek long.  The tight LZ was around 140 to green, laying up short of cross bunker puts players well over 150, I think, probably too long to assure a tight approach.

- Most scenic hole is 13, a 237 (?) par 3, creek left, sand bunker starts left, runs uphill to behind the green, and then curves back on itself on even a higher level, sort of a Z shape.  Nicely done as it sits in shade, and green is pushed far enough north to allow sunlight in all hours of day.  Open front, into wind, biggest hazards left and back, between clubs for PGA Tour players....one of the better combo set of conditions that might actually have players laying up with a shorter club, rather than hit extra club and risk the back bunker, if the wind suddenly stops gusting.

- Most unusual green is 6, with a sharp swale running off the back right....right into a sand bunker.  The 12th had a little collector swale running to a chipping area mid right into the green (472 yard par 4)

-Card says 7601, but construction foreman says they added back tees to get it to possibly over 7900.

-Cart paths (8 foot wide, IMHO< should have been 10') at tees and greens only.  Trying an "old driveway look" with two gravel tracks/paths with grass between to minimize hard surface along the length of fairways.  They put a drain line under each gravel track, including some cross drains to make it practical.  I think it should work, even with the turd floaters we get here in N Texas, but time will tell.  In the end, concrete may have been cheaper, LOL.

-North Ridge Bermuda fw and rough, Tif Eagle on greens.

As always, just my humble opinion from what I saw in a quick tour.  A nice addition to the DFW golf scene.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2020, 02:37:02 PM »
7900 yards with all the par fives over 600?

I guess the PGA is not thinking the equipment will ever get dialed back.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2020, 02:55:14 PM »
Surely/Shirley it’s a mis-quote and it should read 9,700 yds? :)
Atb

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2020, 05:08:14 PM »

What else could they think?

I didn't get the impression it would necessarily be played at 7,900, but that they wanted flexibility to have some holes play longer and shorter each day.  At what yardage, who knows, but since the course isn't even finished they have time to figure that out (The PGA I presume will do it, not Gil, but he may have input.)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2021, 04:28:29 PM »
Video - Behind the Scenes at PGA Frisco with the GCSAA, featuring Gil Hanse: https://vimeo.com/515288449

jeffwarne

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2021, 08:10:28 PM »
I just hope they have a late season sale on lift tickets
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back