News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Herrick

Latest from The Balsams in New Hampshire
« on: February 25, 2021, 07:00:17 PM »
I received an email from The Balsams a few days ago, advising that certain facilities at the resort will be open from July 30, but only for wedding parties. Although the resort remains closed for general resort guests, wedding invitees will be able to play the resort’s Panorama Course, open for walking. See balsamswedding.com
The course has always been one of my favorite New Hampshire places to play. A good opportunity for some wedding crashing?

Mike Sweeney

Re: Latest from The Balsams in New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 07:56:43 PM »
Funny post.

Of the insane calculus of trying to prevent bad things to happen on 2020-21, this might be #1.

I have skied Tuckerman's Ravine, and I am sure that was statistically more dangerous than playing golf on a Ross course in New England in a hopefully declining CV-19 season:

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 11:51:28 PM »
looks like left greenside bunker on #16 at PGA West Stadium...or the big fairway bunker on right side of #3 or 4 at Sandwich

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 09:14:09 AM »
Considering golf has worked during COVID, including public golf...why not earn a few public greens fees if you are going to spend time maintaining the course?

The Balsams is a neat place, but they have shot really high in their plans for this resort, probably too high.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 10:16:48 AM »
Funny post.

Of the insane calculus of trying to prevent bad things to happen on 2020-21, this might be #1.

I have skied Tuckerman's Ravine, and I am sure that was statistically more dangerous than playing golf on a Ross course in New England in a hopefully declining CV-19 season:

Wow, I've never skied there. What an awesome looking bowl. It does remind me of the Montezuma Bowl at ABasin.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 10:24:40 AM »
Cool photo and neat backstory, but I'm not sure that I understand the comparison. What are we comparing, the danger of skiing a public cirque (where you can't sue anyone) with operating a private course as public, to guests you don't really know, who might sue you for Covid-19 exposure?

Just want to establish a story line.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 06:34:13 AM »

Just want to establish a story line.

Through the generous GCA backlot, I am reading Stephen King's On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.

“Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s.”

Perhaps it was poorly written by me, but let's take King's advice on this.

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 06:46:15 AM »
Fair. Sundays are for meditation.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 03:19:06 PM »
http://thebalsamsresort.com/les-annmarie-chronicle/

Just was poking around the website and came across this, a lengthy interview about the Balsams project as it currently stands from a couple weeks ago.

Sounds like things we moving along towards some significant investment ramping up once COVID hit, but the plan is still intact to do all the things planned for the resort once the money comes in.  It's far from a certainty, but the passion is clearly there, and Les Otten is an experienced resort planner.  They just had their permits extended four years, so that seems to be the timeline for it to work or not work, without having to re-convince everyone.

If/when they re-open/re-furbish the golf course for the public to play, I'd surely run up there and pay a greens fee!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 04:01:26 PM »
Funny post.

Wow, I've never skied there. What an awesome looking bowl. It does remind me of the Montezuma Bowl at ABasin.

Except that there are no chairlifts at Tuckermans!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »

Except that there are no chairlifts at Tuckermans!

And it is a 2.9 mile hike to where there is no chairlift, with skies and boots tied to your backpack:

https://goeast.ems.com/tuckerman-ravine-skiing-guide/

Different era, and carrying a double bag at Newport Country Club was easy :)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 08:05:22 PM »
You're my hero.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »
I've never skied it, primarily because the best time to do so is in the "ski injuries will affect golf season" time period.

My brother has though several times.

I have to say I can't get over the 1 or 2 runs per day thing for all that work, but it's a rite of passage.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 10:22:15 AM »
I've skied it once. It was 100% worth it. I will 100% not do it again. Beers on the rocks afterwards might be the best part of the experience.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 11:09:28 AM »
I've skied it once. It was 100% worth it. I will 100% not do it again. Beers on the rocks afterwards might be the best part of the experience.

Same here, unless one of my kids wants to do it. 

Scott Senior

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 12:00:42 PM »
I have hiked Tuckerman several times (in the summer). I really enjoyed the hut system in the Whites. I am not a skier but I admire anyone who takes that challenge on!

Dave Herrick

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 10:43:39 PM »
When I started this thread I should have made clear that my reference to The Balsams in New Hampshire was not related to the fir trees lining the fire trail from Pinkham Notch Camp to the “Howard Johnson’s” at the base of the bowl. (And if you understand the reference to that Howard Johnson’s, you are truly an old man of the mountains.)
And since my thread has been well and thoroughly hijacked😃, I may as well relate my most interesting, and foolhardy, Tuckerman experience. One fine April day some buddies and I decided we’d ascend Washington via Lion Head (for the few on this discussion group who are unfamiliar with Tuckerman Ravine, it is the buttress forming the right side of the ravine). As we got above treeline the footing was boilerplate crust, and none of us had brought our crampons and ice axes. My Limmers (another local tramper reference) barely dug into the steep surface. We were fortunate not to be added to ample role of Washington casualties, as we skulked down the Auto Road, having abandoned our aspirations for the summit.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 10:23:18 AM »
Hey I tried to bring it back with the link I posted...then jumped on the hijacking bandwagon.

I'd much rather talk Panorama, as I like golf much more than skiing.

Dave Herrick

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 11:05:17 AM »
Brad, you indeed did add that useful reference to the Balsams email and the Colebrook newspaper article. I read them, and I share your concern about the ultimate feasibility of bringing the Balsams to economic viability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back