News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

HALLAMSHIRE GC: A Slice of Sheffield - 2018-19 Winter Tour New
« on: November 20, 2018, 05:16:17 AM »
Hallamshire GC is nestled between the western edge of Sheffield and the eastern foothills of the Pennines. At an elevation of 1000 feet above sea level the site affords magnificent views of the Peak District.  Opened for play in 1897, the land was soon after purchased from the Duke of Norfolk.  After Fowler and Colt had their say prior WWI, Morrison would make some amendments to the course a few years before the start of the next world war. I don’t think much has changed in the years since.

The entire area has sporting and business ventures which reference Hallam(shire), an historical name for the Sheffield area.  Known as the Steel City, Sheffield bares more than a little resemblance to Pittsburgh, another famous Steel City.  Both cities are somewhat hilly and that is a main characteristic of Hallamshire, at least in part! 

While nominally a heathland course, the feel and look of the property is a mix of moorland, parkland and heathland. Hallamshire is a curious course in that a striking set of holes is bookended by holes which are for the most part fairly mundane.  1-4 sllead us to the satisfying long 5th which itself is a doorway to an extremely hilly section of holes between 6 and 13. Punctuating this stirring string of holes are two connector par 3s.  Making our way back to the clubhouse level of the property the course simply moves back and forth with the highlight of the short 17th providing a final reminder of the rambunctious property. The holes coming home are not in essence different from 1-4 except that gorse and sand are more featured. 

Before setting off, I must once again highlight the scorecard.  The daily tees play to a difficult par 69 covering 5900 yards. There are six par 4s over 400 yards in length with only two three-shotters balanced against five short holes, three of which are under 150 yards.  Hallamshire can feel much longer on any day let alone on a cold, gloomy winter's day. 

Holes 1-4 offer mild entertainment with the short second likely the best of the lot. However, it is the somewhat domed and tilted third green which I found most interesting.

Moving to the magnificent 5th, a full blooded par 5 of less than 500 yards (!), this is in effect a very straight-forward hole.  A ravine splits the fairway at a distance most handicap golfers will struggle to carry in two. However, when downwind, the temptation to reach the plateau green after a good drive must be overwhelming.  For the second there is some indication that a heroic carry is required to get home, but there seems to be the possibility of skirting up the right. 

The short 6th is exactly what most have come to expect from Colt!

More to follow.

Ciao

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 07:40:18 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Hallamshire GC: A Slice of Sheffield - 2018-19 Winter Tour 1-6
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 05:51:20 AM »
Sean,

We all agreed that the opening and closing stretches were far less interesting than the middle section, but reflecting on it afterwards I wonder how much the weather conditions influenced this.

I visited Hallamshire briefly a few months ago on a fine sunny day, and was immensely taken with what I viewed from the clubhouse and from the road alongside the final few holes. I saw an inspiring heathland landscape with abundant purple heather and yellow gorse. This is what led to me suggesting Hallamshire as a venue for my match with Boony.

On a cold damp windy day in November however, the same ground seemed rather flat and dull, and the gorse intrusive. The heather was nowhere near as evident, not being in flower.

Are you immune to such influences? I'm not sure I am.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:53:49 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sean_A

Re: Hallamshire GC: A Slice of Sheffield - 2018-19 Winter Tour 1-6
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 05:40:58 PM »
Sean,

We all agreed that the opening and closing stretches were far less interesting than the middle section, but reflecting on it afterwards I wonder how much the weather conditions influenced this.

I visited Hallamshire briefly a few months ago on a fine sunny day, and was immensely taken with what I viewed from the clubhouse and from the road alongside the final few holes. I saw an inspiring heathland landscape with abundant purple heather and yellow gorse. This is what led to me suggesting Hallamshire as a venue for my match with Boony.

On a cold damp windy day in November however, the same ground seemed rather flat and dull, and the gorse intrusive. The heather was nowhere near as evident, not being in flower.

Are you immune to such influences? I'm not sure I am.

Duncan

Sure, weather can be a factor, but I would be curious what you think are the standout holes among 1-4, 14-16 & 18?

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:01:12 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Duncan Cheslett

Re: HALLAMSHIRE GC: A Slice of Sheffield - 2018-19 Winter Tour 1-6
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 02:28:39 AM »
Sure, the course has a fairly routine intro and outro, but can't the same be said of many courses - some that that are held in very high regard?

The first three holes at Formby give little indication of what is to come. The last two holes are fairly pedestrian. The majesty of the surroundings and the quality of the golf in between however, more than compensates for this.

I suspect that on a lesser level, much the same could be said of Hallamshire when the biting easterly wind is not there and the heather and gorse are in bloom...

...and when the Tin Man is not rusting up!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:31:08 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sean_A

Re: HALLAMSHIRE GC: A Slice of Sheffield - 2018-19 Winter Tour 1-6 New
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 03:28:31 AM »
Sure, the course has a fairly routine intro and outro, but can't the same be said of many courses - some that that are held in very high regard?

The first three holes at Formby give little indication of what is to come. The last two holes are fairly pedestrian. The majesty of the surroundings and the quality of the golf in between however, more than compensates for this.

I suspect that on a lesser level, much the same could be said of Hallamshire when the biting easterly wind is not there and the heather and gorse are in bloom...

...and when the Tin Man is not rusting up!   ;D

Duncan

First, I take issue with your characterization of Formby's 1-3 and 17-18.  While the holes over the plains may not be indictative of what is in the middle...the 3rd and 17th are miles better than the Hallamshire counterparts.  I also think 2 and 18 are better as well.  All in all, the Formby five far outshine Hallamshire's eight.  Finally, this is five holes, not eight!  Eight is nearly half the course.

HALLAMSHIRE TOUR CONT

We now come to the meat of the course as foreshadowed by the Hallamshire Hellcat. 

A journey of holes follows which kicks it up a notch or three over 5 and 6.  The 7th dives toward Black Brook at a startling grade.  Only a short par 4 which can be reached, the hole can nevertheless take a hostage or two. 

A clever twist to the hole is the blind slope feeding into the trees.

A view of the 7th fom the 10th.

For uphill drives to be as exhilerating as those downhill is a rarity.  Hallamshire's 8th, however, is one such example as it is one of the best driving holes on the course and a great counterpart to the 13th.  Ignore the listed 360 yards!  The uphill approach too is somehow satisfying. 

The side ends with a useful connecter short hole. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:33:07 AM by Sean_A »

Duncan Cheslett

Re: HALLAMSHIRE GC: A Slice of Sheffield - 2018-19 Winter Tour 1-9
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 07:15:02 AM »
Perhaps the fact that I won 4 and halved 3 of the "dull" holes is unduly influencing my view of them! 😎

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 08:05:11 AM »
Thanks, Sean.
Gee, that cat would be enough to keep me off the course -- looks the kind to stare at you malevolently and you'd be in its power forever, a ring-wraith neither living nor dead! 
On the other hand, the 8th does seem like a magnificent golf hole -- playing more like 440 than 360, and one not to be found on many a modern course.
It's the General Patton of golf holes.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:14:58 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
Looks like the 7th green falls away a bit. Does it or is it photographic illusion?
Atb

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
Sean,
Every photo you've posted has intrigued me (except maybe the cat).  I really like the look of the third green. Maybe if I make it back to Buxton & Cavendish, I can detour over. What else is nearby? I also would like to spend some more time in the Peak district itself.

Sean_A

Re: HALLAMSHIRE GC: A Slice of Sheffield - 2018-19 Winter Tour 1-9 New
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 05:00:02 AM »
ATB

I am not sure if the 7th green falls away. 

Tucky

I am no expert of the general area, although Halifax and Lindrick have long intrigued me.  I nearly played Halifax on this trip, but instead plopped for a return to Cavendish. Although I am more interested in playing Cleveland, up near Middlesborough....I have heard very good reports from folks I trust.

HALLAMSHIRE CONT

The 10th takes us back over Black Brook in a theatrical style.  The drive is blind, but doesn't seem threatening for that. 

Keeping to the left will open the green, but bring the bunker more into play.  There is every possibility to use the contours in bouncing a ball onto the green.

Back over the brook we go, but in the much more mild fashion of a hole just over 300 yards. Looking back to the 11th tee.

A tiddler par 3, the 12th is not without charm or purpose. In essence, these 123 yards are a layup for the next hole and I wonder if such a hole would be built today.  While trees mare what should be great views from the upper to lower section of the property, the club should be commended for leaving this lovely corridor in place. 

The 13th transitions wonderfully to the clubhouse level of the property with what seems a much longer hole than the 334 yards written on the card.  The reason for the short 12th also becomes apparent...it makes the brook valley manageable.

Unfortunately, the holes coming home are of little interest as it seems as though we face long hole after another over far less compelling land than previously. That said, I did find the approach to the 16th attractive.

Walking back and forth between 14 and 16 I did notice a cliff face and felt sure it would somehow be featured.  My intuition was correct in the guise of a handsome setting for a downhill short hole.  Once again the club sensibly gives us a view of a long corridor down the 18th.

A bruising 450 yard two-shotter wraps up Hallamshire.  While a good enough matchplay hole, it isn't special.  However, I do like the tree down the left and fail to see why the gorse isn't cleared away from this noble specimen.   

I have very mixed feelings about Hallamshire.  The holes surrounding the brook are of a very high standard and fairly varied given the water must be crossed several times.  It is the flat holes which leaves me...well flat.  Part of the problem is the nature of the terrain, but it seems to me very little was done architecturally to make more of this land.  My first thought was wow, is this ever a case for a nine (10,11?) hole course.  Upon reflection, I like flat topography golf too much to dismiss the possibilities Hallamshire offer for 18 holes.  Hallamshire rather reminds me of Crosland Heath (not too far north from Hallamshire) in that the architecture intelligently revolves around the most dramatic part of the property.  Looking back on it, maybe I was too harsh in my assessment of Crosland Heath.  Dr Mac did a far better job of creating good holes away from the prime features than was done at Hallamshire.  2018

Previous Stops:

Cleeve Cloud
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49796.0.html

Saunton East
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51415.0.html

Saunton West
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66490.msg1587657.html#msg1587657

Aberdovey
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43564.0.html

Westward Ho!
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66480.0.html

Planned Stops

Cavendish
Barton on Sea
Isle of Purbeck

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:29:56 AM by Sean_A »

Clyde Johnson

Re: HALLAMSHIRE GC: A Slice of Sheffield - 2018-19 Winter Tour
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 12:56:30 PM »
Thanks for posting this Sean. I spent four years studying in Sheffield, but never made past a golf team trial at council run Tinsley Park. The Hallamshire was/is(?) the Uni's home course...wish I'd played better now.

A city bereft of decent golf, otherwise...perhaps not surprising for a place built on six hills and a slag heap. Alas, a very good night out more than compensates!! 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 01:14:13 PM »
Sean,
Every photo you've posted has intrigued me (except maybe the cat).  I really like the look of the third green. Maybe if I make it back to Buxton & Cavendish, I can detour over. What else is nearby? I also would like to spend some more time in the Peak district itself.

John,

it depends how wide a circle you wish to draw. Close by Lindrick is a very good course of a very similar quality to Notts. With Halifax there is Ogden which is an excellent example of a moorland course. Huddersfield GC (Fixby) is well worth a visit as are the about 10 of the Leeds courses. I would also not discount Pannel Golf Club near Harrogate nor either of the York clubs (Fulford and Strensil) I also liked playing Baildon, Ilkley and Selby.

It all depends what you are looking for but the area does offer a lot of pretty intact Mackenzie.

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 02:56:39 AM »
Sean,

Cleveland is also on my list.  Let's arrange a trip in 2019.

I also need to do both Halifax and Lindrick, though.

James Boon

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for posting this thread (not the least as it saves me the time, as looking back at my photos we must have stood next to each other for pretty much every shot!)

Certainly 5 to 13 are the pick of the bunch. I especially loved the downhill, double dogleg, short par 4 7th! Interesting enough at this time of year, but I wonder what it played like this summer just gone with hard running fairways?

The flatter holes at the start and finish, certainly arent remarkable, though there were things I liked about 1, 3 and 16 (apart from that gorse tight to the left of the green obviously!) and perhaps if these holes were sprinkled amongst the more interesting ones we mention they wouldnt feel too bad, but by having such a great section and the others before and after its easy the have a pop at them.

I will certainly be keen to get back and give it another go.

John,

I now live in the Peak District, so let me know if you do head this way? I cant add to what others have said about other courses in the area as there arent that many, with Cavendish being the obvious standout in the area. I have a soft spot for Sickleholme near Hathersage, but I would want anyone on here making a special trip just because I've mentioned it!

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 02:13:39 PM »
Jon,
I have Robert Fletcher's Alister MacKenzie Playing his Legacy book. It would be such a better reference if it included a map showing course locations. Thanks for the suggestions.

James,
No idea when I'll make it back that way but will let you know. Congrats on moving to such a beautiful area.

James Reader

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 02:39:06 PM »
I was a member at Halifax for several years and am now at Huddersfield.  Both are well worth a visit if you’re in the area.

Having read most of your reviews, Sean, I have a feeling you might really enjoy Ogden.  You say that the some of the holes at Hallamshire are a bit “mundane” - not a criticism that many would have of Ogden The one thing I will say is that it can be pretty bleak up there on a bad day. On the other hand, there are few places better when the sun’s shining - or at the very least when it’s not shrouded in mist or the rains not coming sideways at you!  Best to choose your day wisely for a first visit.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 03:24:28 AM »
I was a member at Halifax for several years and am now at Huddersfield.  Both are well worth a visit if you’re in the area.

Having read most of your reviews, Sean, I have a feeling you might really enjoy Ogden.  You say that the some of the holes at Hallamshire are a bit “mundane” - not a criticism that many would have of Ogden The one thing I will say is that it can be pretty bleak up there on a bad day. On the other hand, there are few places better when the sun’s shining - or at the very least when it’s not shrouded in mist or the rains not coming sideways at you!  Best to choose your day wisely for a first visit.

A return visit to Ogden is long overdue for me. My one visit was in the middle of winter and featured a horizontal hailstorm on two occasions. Despite this I really enjoyed the course which climbs gradually out of the valley, and then plays along a dramatically exposed ridge before plunging back down to the valley in one short hole. At least I think that's what happened - I couldn't see more than 100 yards in front of me for most of the round!

Fixby (Huddersfield GC) is a favourite of mine. Along with Hopwood (Manchester GC) it is an excellent moorland course with impeccable pedigree. Think Cavendish on steroids.

I've been trying to get Sean up to see Fixby and Hopwood for a while now. Both courses' relative anonymity on this site is a puzzle to me.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 05:24:56 AM »
Duncan

I admit to being put off by the Huddersfield green fee, but I would like to eventually see a handful of selected courses in the area.  Manchester will have to wait a bit cuz the M5-6 is a complete nightmare these days. 

Boony

I agree, if the duller holes at Hallamshire were more interspersed then I would like the course more. That said, I don't understand why more isn't done to create more interest among these holes.  Bottom line...I would rather play Cavendish if heading that way.

Ciao

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 06:41:24 AM »
Sean,

Hopwood actually fits in well with a trip to Fixby or Ogden. It's less than 30 minutes from both. You don't need to go near the M6!

As for the Fixby green fee, it looks like we've got a member among our ranks to sign us in!

It's often available for £25-30 anyway on TeeOffTimes.

Edited to add;

In case I've confused anyone,

Hopwood = Manchester GC
Fixby = Huddersfield GC
Ogden = Halifax GC
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 06:46:30 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 08:32:24 AM »

Duncan,

that trio would make a great tour. I think you will need to spread them out over three days though as they are all good but strenuous walking courses. Hopwood is possibly the biggest under the radar course west of the Pennines. After a tough start, it has some great holes around the turn before an interesting finish. The last hole is extremely tricky (infuriating) as it is an easy, drivable birdie par four which has the annoying habit of showing up as a 5 on your card once you've played it. Would be improved however with a good tree clearance programme.

Ogden, is likewise very much under the radar. Great course with challenging holes some of which really stick in the mind and a very welcoming clubhouse.

Fixby of the three is the one with the potential to be a top 50 course were it to sort out a few issues. Very good front nine with a great starting hole, a couple of hole with good cross bunkering and a crossover. The back nine struggle a little by comparison. I never liked the par 5 12th which is a modern addition to replace the holes sold off for housing behind the 16th green. Like wise I can leave the 13th despite most people being wowed by it the hole is very one dimensional and the 14th is a bit awkward being shoehorned round the hill. It does however have the fabulous par 4 16th and the spectacular/fun par 5 18. The clubhouse is quite something too.

Hope you manage to get this tour set up.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »
If anyone's fixing a game at Halifax, Huddersfield or Manchester I'd be very keen to join you.  I've been in Leeds two years and still have only played four courses in the area.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 01:56:56 PM »

Mark,

have you looked at entering the various Open medals most of the clubs play? If you have not played them already I would consider Leeds GC (Cobble Hall), Howley Hall (Morley), Headingley GC, Scarcroft GC, Olton GC or Pannal GC they are worth checking out.

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2018, 06:54:21 PM »
Thanks, Jon.  Of those I have only played Headingley, which I enjoyed a lot.  I'll look into Opens at the others.

James Reader

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 05:38:08 AM »
Sean,

Hopwood actually fits in well with a trip to Fixby or Ogden. It's less than 30 minutes from both. You don't need to go near the M6!

As for the Fixby green fee, it looks like we've got a member among our ranks to sign us in!

It's often available for £25-30 anyway on TeeOffTimes.

Edited to add;

In case I've confused anyone,

Hopwood = Manchester GC
Fixby = Huddersfield GC
Ogden = Halifax GC

I’d be very happy to host at Fixby if you and Sean (and another?) are up for it. 

The club has just finished the third and final phase of a complete reworking of the bunkers - 67 to start with; 32 filled in; 35 completely renovated; 11 new ones created (a significant improvement in my opinion).  As a result there are likely to be a couple of holes closed most of the winter and several more will have the bunkers out of play, so I’d suggest next spring would be a good time for it.

I haven’t played Ogden for a couple of years, so would definitely be up for that as well.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 12:48:42 PM »
I've seen the Fixby works a couple of times -- both Will Swan, the architect, and Ben Turner, the course manager, are friends of mine, and as an exiled Huddersfield boy I like to swing by and see Ben from time to time. I quite like them, but like a lot of today's bunkers they desperately need some 'hair' to soften the edges, which are very complex without being truly lacy in a Simpson style.

Fixby is a great place, but it suffers from parklanditis. Although there are park elements to the site -- the big house, the haha (which should definitely be cleaned up and turned back into a feature, it is totally wasted at the moment) -- the place is fundamentally a moor. If it were my course I'd be making every effort to make it look like a moor, and not some moor/park hybrid.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back