News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian_L

Royal Malta?
« on: November 26, 2018, 01:14:11 AM »
I haven't found many mentions of Royal Malta on this site. I will be in Malta in December for a few days and am considering sneaking away one morning to check it out. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?

Many thanks,

Ian

Keith Phillips

Re: Royal Malta?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »
I know nothing about it but per the 'history' on the Club's website, the original course sounds like a riot!

Not much of a golf course – with practically no turf and with ‘greens’ of puzzolana concrete, covered with sand to give the ball some stop. The so-called fairways were no more than 20 yards wide stone walls, in some cases 150 feet high, on both sides. The ball could either ricochet from one side to another or become lodged in the battlements. At least this form of golf satisfied the voracious appetite for golf of the servicemen stationed on the island.

Clyde Johnson

Re: Royal Malta?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 04:28:35 PM »
The course is short, with some funky, fortified walls in play...if my memory of the pictures serves me correctly.

Scott MacPherson is consulting there, so perhaps he'll respond with more authoritative information...

I believe he/the club have plans to rebuild all 18 of the greens, with the possibility of introducing 3 new holes in a new triangle of land.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back