News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: Where are all my non-caring peeps?
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2018, 03:14:37 PM »

I will admit one thing. People who are disrespecting the rules of a club always look like they are having a great time.

Probably because they're non-members schnorring a free round.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
JK,

You should know full well by now the world is full of different strokes for different folks.

Some please like purely social rounds, others prefer single solitary rounds...and still others like both, like me.

Still curious why you think singles are killing the future of the game?

Because a great club brings people together. This modern notion of doing whatever you want however you want to do it is driving people apart.

John,

Perhaps that's the disconnect...Franks original post mentioned nothing of clubs, which i will translate to mean privates.  While I don't doubt your argument for private clubs, 80%+ of the courses here in the states are public..and playing alone or being paired up with another single is very much apart of the public experience.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2018, 03:54:22 PM »
You mean Frank M.?

James Brown

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2018, 06:57:07 PM »

Please don't play as a single. They are the dregs of golfing society. You paid for a range. Use it!!!

I love playing as single!

I am sincerely interested in why you love playing as a single. Is it your first choice when given the option of either playing alone or with friends? What goes through your mind as you play through slower groups of golfers? What is the appeal of playing alone?

Good question. 

I am 44 and married with children.   1.3 handicap at the moment.   I play about 90 rounds a year, mostly during the week and on golf trips,  and I’d say I play about 70% of my golf as a true single.  I’d say it’s a tie between golf with a friend or two and playing by myself under the right conditions. 

I really enjoy the solitude of days when I have the course to myself.  Just my clubs on my back and the golf course.  That’s my vision of the purest form of golf.  Played at Brora this year that way and it was one of my funnest rounds in memory.   I’ve also played a fair amount of golf with just me and a caddie and that is awesome.  Played Piping Rock for the first time on a weekday in May that way and it was so much fun.

I’d say about 20% of the time I end up playing solo.  The rest are when I get paired up.  My favorite pairing is probably 4 single golfers paired up all walking.  Playing with fathers and sons is great too.  Don’t mind playing through groups during the day when that works out. 

I have half a dozen long time golf buddies Near home (DC) and that many scattered across the country.  A lot of my non-solo golf is with one of them as a twosome.  I also enjoy playing with my Dad a few times a year. 

A couple of times a year I will end up playing by myself because there was no one to pair up with and the course is packed and slow.  Those are the worst.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
90 rounds, 44, married with children. A rare bird indeed. Congrats.

I was in your shoes 14 years ago. Keep playing as much as you are even if you can't find a game. She can only miss you when you're gone. It's a beautiful thing having a family that wishes you were home. Enjoy that feeling while you can.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2018, 09:54:05 PM »

Please don't play as a single. They are the dregs of golfing society. You paid for a range. Use it!!!

I love playing as single!

I am sincerely interested in why you love playing as a single. Is it your first choice when given the option of either playing alone or with friends? What goes through your mind as you play through slower groups of golfers? What is the appeal of playing alone?

There are several reasons I enjoy playing as a single:

The peacefulness of solitude on an early morning or late afternoon round.

Not having to worry about holding a group up. That also means being able to play more than one ball if I feel like it.

Not having to feel obligated to say positive stuff to anyone in hopes of cheering them up.

I am my own favorite person.

But the tee time I like best is my wife and me as a Two Ball.  She is my second favorite person.

Ira

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2018, 10:04:53 PM »
1st wife?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2018, 10:08:34 PM »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2018, 10:16:03 PM »
Very impressive.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2018, 10:30:50 PM »
Keep the stories coming. I feel like I'm starting to gain an understanding of those strangers I have seen walking adjacent fairways alone all these years. It's not as sad as I thought.

Ken Moum

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 12:11:09 AM »
Keep the stories coming. I feel like I'm starting to gain an understanding of those strangers I have seen walking adjacent fairways alone all these years. It's not as sad as I thought.

I used to love playing as a single at the club where my wife and were members. Especially loved a few holes, or nine just before sundown.

There's a Zen quality to it. Lately I get it from bicycling. Somewhere around 20 miles in I feel as if everything is in sync.

But as has been said, my wife is my favorite playing companion. She's also my favorite partner in competition.

In fact 25 years ago I asked her if the Husband and Wife State Championship was a good enough reason to get married. She allowed as it was.

We were 46 years old, neither had ever been married. Still together.

She's the best partner I ever had.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Matthew Rose

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 02:36:21 AM »
Well, I love GCA too and certainly have my own opinions.... but beyond that, I'm not really interested in ratings, rankings, or prestige all that much.

I suppose that is because my golf life has been fairly modest. I learned how to play at a muni, was a fairly mediocre player on a mediocre high school golf team, and have only won one tournament in my entire life playing off of what was probably an inflated handicap. I've never been the best player even in my own family.

I am married with young kids now and don't make a whole lot of money, so I only maybe play about 8-10 rounds a year these days. I buy name brand clubs but usually one or two models removed from the latest. I play 90% of my golf at Doak 2s or less... maybe twice a year I'll venture out to a place like Plum Creek or Riverdale.

I've been fortunate to get on a couple of nice private clubs and former tournament hosts courtesy of an older sibling who has had some assistant pro jobs at these places, but generally that only might happen once a season.

So I don't get very many chances to get out and play the great courses of the world very often, but when I do I obviously savor the moments the best that I can. But I also play golf rarely enough now that just being out there is usually enough for me... there is absolutely no better cure for stress or depression on earth. It's my personal vice, my source of well-being, my escape from reality.... my drug of choice, really.

I suppose because of that I have much lower standards than most posters here will have, simply because I'm limited. But I find that almost any course will do as long as it is designed and maintained to a reasonable level... even something most would consider bland and unmemorable is still okay as long as there is nothing stupid or gimmicky. I'm certainly no expert here, but I know what I like and also what I don't.

And sure, I'll admit myself and my usual partners (same older sibling as well as my father) sometimes play loose with the rules... but we play fast, we have a good time, and we treat each other right. Long ago I gave up delusions of ever being a great player, but I still have aspirations of shooting in the 60s one day.

I watch golf almost religiously for many of the same reasons.... it lowers my blood pressure and allows me to zen out and forget about life for awhile. I actually quite enjoy LPGA events almost as much as men's events.... I feel like my game is more relatable to theirs.

As far as architecture goes.... I once aspired to work in the GCA field at one time, but that never really went beyond college. I made some questionable educational choices and was intimidated quite a bit by the construction side of it. I've managed to find a really nice outlet in doing courses for computer games.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:47:05 AM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »
I play as a single because most people won't keep up and the only thing worse than slow play is hearing about it.

For what it's worth John, I wouldn't mind at all your company on any of those otherwise solo rounds.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »
John,

Think of it this way.

Some people like to go to the beach at dusk to build a fire and drink beers and mingle...while others like to go alone to watch the sunset with not a person in sight.

In my experience, there isn't much difference on the golf course...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 11:00:58 AM »
The difference is the beach will survive longer without people.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2018, 11:02:50 AM »
The difference is the beach will survive longer without people.

Several people on social media have come to appreciate your dark charisma. I, among them.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2018, 11:05:20 AM »
Jk,

Touche, and well said.

However, I suspect for guys like you with both the means and desire to play some of the best, there will always be options for you...

V_Halyard

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2018, 07:31:43 PM »
I’ve been a golf course architecture fan my whole life, but I’ve struggled to find like-minded golfers who see the game the way I do and it has unfortunately taken away from my drive to play, as ultimately, I see golf as social.

Golf is in my mind a “rule-less” game. Sure, there are golf competitions, but other than taking a club and hitting the ball I don’t subscribe to any definition of golf beyond that...it’s for each individuals enjoyment however they see fit...would be my definition.

When it comes to golf courses, I love Top 100’s, Top 1000’s, bottom 100’s and bottom 5’s. That’s not to say I don’t recognize strong golf course architecutre, it’s just to say that I like the discovery of playing a new golf course no matter how good or “bad” it is.

The more I’ve played with GCA folks the more I’ve started to not want to play with them. They tend to get lost analyzing such trivial parts of a golf course and not only is it unejoyable to talk to them but also unenjoyable to play with them. Add to that how serious they take their games and it’s just a lost cause.

My partial rant over but the question remains... where are the golfers like me? That love GCA, don’t care about any rules, enjoy playing any new golf course, and enjoy the company of other good people?

I’m struggling to find any and I dread being thought of as a GCA type/fan and all the connotations that come with it.

P.S.

If you are offended by this post for some reason, don’t be. I don’t know you.
Interestingly, the more I play while appreciating the architecture, the worse I score. I have been giving some tours to guests, chatting about features and just walking and enjoying the course... and shanking.
I think the appreciation of the "playability" of the courses has caused me to become more casual.
That said, when it is a match situation, it has also forced me to think how to leverage the architectural opportunities based on my abilities (lack thereof). Either way, I enjoy both types of rounds more by caring just enough when it counts.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back