News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Royer

Oakmont Changes on 6
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:13:25 AM »
I played Oakmont yesterday.  My caddy pointed out the temporary  par 3 that has been built by 2 green while the 6th hole is redone.  They built an exact replica of the 18th green for the new par 3.  Work commences today.  If I understood correctly 6 green will flatten and bunkering may get deeper. 

Jon Wiggett

Re: Oakmont Changes on 6
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »
Flattened!!! Oh good, hopefully this means they can get the stimp up to 20 in order to make it a real challenge  ::)

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 09:14:00 PM »
Take it easy guys.

The internal green contours are not changing. The edges are being lowered. Simple restorative work. We are trying to get the course back to what it was in the early 1900's.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:11:00 PM »
I could see that making sense Ryan.  Those green edges had been built up over the years to where there were few hole locations.  We all know this is very common on many older courses.  When you lose the edges (when greens raise up from sand being throw onto them from surrounding bunkers and/or they shrink due to mowing) you often lose some of the best and most interesting hole locations on a green.  I trust that is what is going on here. 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 02:13:10 AM »
Take it easy guys.

The internal green contours are not changing. The edges are being lowered. Simple restorative work. We are trying to get the course back to what it was in the early 1900's.

Good to know.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:23:07 AM »
Take it easy guys.

Most people on this website wouldn't know a good tie-in if Dr. Mackenzie himself built it in front of their own eyes.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 01:02:54 PM »

Okay Kyle,

what do you consider to be a good 'tie-in' and what if any importance does it have? As I probably belong to the 'most' on this website I would love to learn more  :)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »

Okay Kyle,

what do you consider to be a good 'tie-in' and what if any importance does it have? As I probably belong to the 'most' on this website I would love to learn more  :)

That was more directed at the OP than you. And just the inference of nefarity.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 07:59:04 PM by Kyle Harris »
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 02:36:02 AM »

Okay Kyle,

That was more directed at the OP than you. And just the inference of nefarity.

Yet the OP is not called 'most people' Kyle.

Now where is that chicken emoji ;)

Quinn Thompson

Re: Oakmont Changes on 6 New
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 11:18:11 AM »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:31:59 AM by Quinn Thompson »

Nick Ribeiro

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »
Take it easy guys.

Very interesting. The few times I've been out there conditions were so firm and fast it was like any modern on roids, but I think that's why most like it so much? Considering I only get to play one time a year I don't mind the beating, or the 20 green speeds.

I guess my question is, is the club really looking to take the course back to what it was in the early 1900s? Assuming you mean shorter holes, smaller greens, smaller bunkers, and much slower greens???  :o

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »

Nick,

I do not know if this is the case at Oakmont specifically but in general both greens and bunkers were bigger back in 1900 than is the case these days. You are correct that they were considerably slower but with the more pronounced slopes many had they required more skill to play than todays fast and flat examples.

Nick Ribeiro

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 12:23:24 PM »

Nick,

I do not know if this is the case at Oakmont specifically but in general both greens and bunkers were bigger back in 1900 than is the case these days. You are correct that they were considerably slower but with the more pronounced slopes many had they required more skill to play than todays fast and flat examples.

You could be right for that particular hole but its nice to see you get my point. I am assuming Ryan is doing some of the work on 6 and his comment about bringing it back to the 1900s had me day dreaming. I saw Ryan, channeling his inner Tom Doak, in the clubhouse, pointing to old pictures, telling them lets do that, lets do that, lets do that.... I woke up wondering if 6 is the start to drastic change????  ???

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 02:02:03 PM »
Something I heard was that the work on 6 is more to repair/undo some of the green edge shaping of a prior renovation.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back