News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: WESTWARD HO!: 2018-19 Winter Tour 1-16
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2018, 04:32:14 AM »
A bunker combination on the left side of the 7th fairway. I wonder if there are more sleepers that are not visible?
Marker stone, sea rushes and Saunton Burrows in the far distance on the other side of the river. Bliss :)

atb

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 05:06:47 AM »
Apparently, Westward Ho! was noted for its bunkering back in the day.  I liken these vast dug down waste areas to walk in closet versions of those that are being dismantled at Aberdovey....very attractive, meaningful and with random punishment. 

Tommy...yes, 13 is par 5...not that it matters.

Tucky...Thank you, but I highly doubt my eye is better than yours.

WESTWARD HO! CONT

A par 5, the 17th is sort of a heading home version of the 1st with lots of space and a major hazard shy of the green. Yes, one of these obstacles is a road and it does overshadow a menacing ditch.  The road is fairly busy on days with folks heading to the pebble ridge and Sandymere...which was once the inland sea on the above map.     

The road leads to several villages squeezed between Bideford Bay and the River Torridge, among them is Westward Ho!, named for the famous C Kingsley novel published in 1855.  The beach is very fine, but if one is seeking a charismatic town, then some 12 miles further down the coast is Clovelly...a must see.

The home hole isn't attractive, but the marshy ditch shy of the green plays its part. 

While the round is over, the day isn't quite complete without a perusal of the homey clubhouse; very basic, fascinating  and charming it is! 

It took me a while, but I found JH Taylor's locker.

Royal North Devon's moods change that much and often that it has a little something for everyone.  You want to play fiddly chips over humpty bumpty terrain...check.  You want to open the shoulders...check.  You want to be tested with precision...check.  You want unusual hazards...check.  While the reputation of the course may have waned in recent decades, there can be little doubt Westward Ho! is essential golf.  As such, it is a required experience for any who admire the history of the game, the museum piece of architecture, but also and likely most importantly, the simplicity of the golf.  Despite the royal title, there are no airs about the membership, the course nor its maintenance. I once stated that all people who fly into England with golf clubs should be made to pay a £5 golf tax to support Westward Ho!...one of my better ideas. 2024

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 01:38:56 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: WESTWARD HO!: 2018-19 Winter Tour
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »
There is certainly some wonderful memorabilia in the RND Clubhouse and as to a £5 golf tax to support Westward Ho!, what a wonderful idea! :) :) :)
atb

Later edit - two recent photos and a photo/plan showing the course circa 1930

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:02:16 PM by Thomas Dai »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »
On the basis that you can't get enough photos of RND/WHo! here are some olden day photos now colourised.

atb

Edit - coloured photos added by later edit

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:54:00 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 05:53:01 PM »

Ciao

I know it is not supposed to make a difference, but it does make a difference when I walk off the hole with a par as opposed to a bogey.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2018, 06:12:03 PM »

Ciao

I know it is not supposed to make a difference, but it does make a difference when I walk off the hole with a par as opposed to a bogey.

Well, if it makes you feel better then OK, it matters for you. Here is what I know. A 5 is a 5 no matter what else you want to call it 

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:58:53 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »

Ciao

Well, if it makes you feel better then OK, it matters for you. Here is what I know. A 5 is a 5 no matter what else you want to call it 

Ciao

So you telling me that bogey or par doesn't matter to you?
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
I did this little RND YouTube piece a bunch of years ago.
St. John of the Cross

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »

Ciao

Ciao

So you telling me that bogey or par doesn't matter to you?

No.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:59:17 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 02:43:23 PM »
For those, like me, who are fans of Westward Ho! here are some photos taken during the 1912 Amateur Final as recently published on the RND social media account.
Golf seems to have got easy as the decades have by!
atb

The first two are of the 4th and 5th holes

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:12:39 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2020, 04:04:58 PM »
Nice find, Thomas. I often wonder how the course played for that amateur. It is an historic club and course and one of my favorite places to play.
St. John of the Cross

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2024, 10:30:03 AM »
All

See the significantly updated tour. I am very impressed with the new work on 7-9. Now if we can get the club to reinstate the old bunker style!

Something to note, into a strong east winter wind three of us failed to carry the Cape bunker.

Previous stops on the 2023-24 Winter Tour

Cleeve Hill
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49796.0.html

Huntercombe
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32228.0.html

Minehead
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,72699.0.html

Planned 2023-24 Winter Tour Stops

Notts
Goswick
North Berwick
Kilspindie
Renaissance

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 01:46:15 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

Re: WESTWARD HO!: 2023-24 Winter Tour
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2024, 07:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the update.

I’ve played the new 7th and it’s a fine hole. Bit sneaky into and around the green. New 8th wasn’t in play for my most recent visit, fine views from near its tee though, and the tee for the wonderful 9th didn’t seem to have been finally decided upon.
Atb

Sean_A

Re: WESTWARD HO!: 2023-24 Winter Tour New
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2024, 05:39:51 AM »
Thanks for the update.

I’ve played the new 7th and it’s a fine hole. Bit sneaky into and around the green. New 8th wasn’t in play for my most recent visit, fine views from near its tee though, and the tee for the wonderful 9th didn’t seem to have been finally decided upon.
Atb

The 7th has a massive amount of space right. The green is detached from the rushes, I miss that. However, the raised green is more interesting than the old version.

8 is much better on the ridge. I thought it was an average hole before. It doesn’t fit the rest of the course. The new hole doesn’t really fit either, but the green is better.

9 is merely a function of the new 8th. The tee shot over low ground is more attractive, but I don’t think the hole was improved. That said, the left bunkers make more sense now. Yet, there isn’t that sense of possibly flanking the green right anymore unless one hits a long ball. The very small green remains the star.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 05:58:32 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back