GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Great Courses the PGA Tour Can No Longer Play

<< < (2/18) > >>

Rich Goodale:
This is slightly OT, but given the fact that top level amateurs can smash the ball as well as most pros, I'm amazed that the 2025 Walker Cup Match will be played at Cypress.  Bags without drivers and with 4-5 wedges will be the norm, unless they somehow find another 500-1000 yards to add to the course and/or roll back the ball.

Circa 2010 I was Competition convener at Aberdour and happened to be up in Dornoch during the Scottish Amateur and walked about with two + HCP players from AGC (ages 19 and 21), and they hardly pulled their drivers out of their bags.

John Kavanaugh:
I play with a ton of golfers who don't pull drivers when I do. It makes me happy, not sad.

Rich Goodale:

--- Quote from: John Kavanaugh on October 21, 2018, 10:11:38 AM ---I play with a ton of golfers who don't pull drivers when I do. It makes me happy, not sad.

--- End quote ---

John

As you and I know the watermelon metal driver is the life blood of the old fat fart.  If I could bring myself to do it, playing driver/driver on every par 4s and 5s and maybe on a few of the par 3s, I could shoot in the high 70s, but it would be no fun......

Rich

Tommy Williamsen:
There are other problems besides length. I have a non-resident membership at Sedgefield. It may not be a "great" course but it is a venerable old Ross that has hosted the Greensboro/Wyndham for decades. The pin placements the TOUR uses make the rounds the TOUR play birdie fests. We have some more difficult pin placements for member play.

BHoover:
Interlachen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version