News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Braemar Golf Course, MN
« on: October 19, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »
Has anyone seen Rich Mandel's work there?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tyler Kearns

Re: Braemar Golf Course, MN
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 04:59:10 PM »
I believe a few of the Minnesota GCA'ers played there a few days ago, hopefully they will report back.  If it is anything like the transformation at Keller, it should be fantastic.

Tyler

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »
A number of people played a preview round last week.  I missed it but have reviewed the plans and watched the construction.  Richard was very creative in the way he reimagined a 27 hole course into 18.  I will be very interested to see the finished product.  The original 18 hole course was fairly boring on interesting land with a goofy additional 9 holes added.  The result of the project to add 9 holes was that the original 18 got worse and no one wanted to play an 18 hole combination that included the extra 9.   

Many of the holes will now be played in reverse and, in my imagination, it seems that they will work better that way.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »
I played the course when I was in Seminary at St. Paul: that Keller and the U course. The course was pretty new but I don't remember much about it except that it was crowded and not as good as the other two.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 11:40:40 PM »
Tommy,

I played the course this week including 9 holes with Rich Mandell himself.

The new course is a vast improvement of the old one.  Despite living nearby, I has essentially given up on the old Braemar due to design and conditioning malfeasance.  The new Braemar is now in the conversation of the best publics in the Twin Cities. 

Rich and his lead shaper, Brian Ross, have created a solid course that is mostly wide and has a nice set of greens with interesting slopes.  Rich and Brian took advantage of the width and crafted some nice centerline bunkers and bumps. These bunkers and bumps will often obscure the view of the green.  This provides nice strategic options for the player.

Only 1 of the 18 holes is essentially the same as an old one.  It’s a drop shot par 3 (#13) with the tee located at the top of a high hill.  The new green here is excellent with the back half on a lower tier than the front half.

Most of the trees were removed, and I was pleased that I didn’t hit one during my round. And of course, the tree reduction has opened-up nice long vistas and allowed the wind to blow.

Super Jeff Mold has done a great job growing the course in.  The greens hold shots very well and balls landing on green approaches were bouncing onto the putting surface.

The course will open to the public on May 15, 2019. 

Brian Ross

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »
Morgan,

It was great to meet you and play the front nine with you at Braemar last week. Like you, I think Braemar will quickly jump into the mix as one of the best public courses in the Twin Cities but it’s nice to hear that from an unbiased source.

One small correction: while I do some shaping work for RMGA and plan to increase that role in the future, my primary role is as Rich’s Design Associate. Marc Burger was our shaper and project representative at Braemar, as he also was at Myers Park CC, CC of Asheville, Bacon Park GC and Orangeburg CC. I think he did a great job, as usual, and you are correct that Jeff Mold is doing an awesome job thus far as Superintendent. We are very much looking forward to reopening the course to the public next May.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 09:38:52 PM »
Tommy,

I was lucky enough to be able to play Braemar last week during their sneak peak.

I had only played 9 holes at Braemar (the "other" 9) when I first moved to Minnesota and had no knowledge of the existing course, other than it looked like a 1,000 other local park district courses across the country.

My favorite public course in town is Keller GC, which Rich did a wonderful job renovating 3 or 4 years ago now. As I discussed with Rich, in the early stages of this project I remember the city of Edina debating essentially 4 different plans. Only one of them showed 27 holes being turned into 18, but on the plan there were a ton of really cool, bold, looking holes. I thought "that would be cool, but there is no way a park district is going to go for that." Shows you what I know as apparently it was the unanimous choice.

So, what went from a pretty course on a tight property turned into something with quite a bit of scale. And given the property's movement its a pretty cool setting. Lakes, prairies, woods...very "Minnesota."

The highlight of the course to me was the strength of the par-5's (5 of them), which all feature a ton of variety and strategic interest. #4 is a really cool hole with a split fairway decision on the second shot. Go low left and flirt with bunkers and you're rewarded with a wedge shot to a green that slopes right to left. Go high (which I did) you have a downhill pitch shot but the green slopes HARD away from you...impossible to keep it close to a front pin, but not a bad place if the pin is long? Fun stuff.

Other par-5's like the 6th are more "traditional" in nature but are very fun to play and sit perfectly on the natural grade of the land. But then there is the 11th, which is incredibly bold...playing on a massive ridge with an uphill skyline green at the end of a tall point.

My favorite par-4 was the 14th, with a great looking string of bunkers built into a natural ridge off the tee, and a green benched into a hillside.

The dominant feature on the property is a massive ~150-200 ft hill pretty much right in the center of the course. Many of the holes seem to play to and from that point. And the holes playing toward the hill are certainly aesthetically pleasing.

There is one par-3 which plays from the top of the hill all the way down to ("sea"?) level. It's quite the few from the top, although I think the drop might be too severely downhill? The hole has a cool green that falls away from the tee, which is neat to see.

Overall, I think Rich & Co. will have another (after Keller) local hit on their hands. Frankly, most of the public courses in town aren't very good (like the old Braemar) and Rich's thoughtful design sticks out. I am positive the local golfers will love it.

H.P.S.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 09:47:32 PM »
It sure sounds as though this was a thoughtful and successful redesign. I am glad that the cities will have two very good public venues. When I was in seminary Keller gave me free golf, so I have a very soft spot in my heart for that course. Too bad I don't have any family there anymore.
St. John of the Cross

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 10:11:10 AM »
Come visit anytime, Tommy.

Stoneridge on the east side is another very good public course that should be added in there with Keller and now Braemar.

It's certainly great to see Park Districts & Counties reinvesting in their golf courses here in Minnesota. Even though the golf season is short, the courses are assets year round with dog walking, snow shoeing, and cross country skiing.
H.P.S.

Brian Ross

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 04:37:52 PM »
Tommy,

Here are a few photos we took on our visit last week. Hope you enjoy!

Approach to the Par 5 4th Hole

Tee Shot on the Par 5 6th Hole

Approach on Hole #6

Looking back down the fairway on the long Par 5 11th

Dropshot Par 3 13th with Holes 4, 5, 14, and 15 in the background

Tee Shot on the long Par 4 14th Hole

Tee Shot on the Par 4 15th Hole

The Par 4 18th Hole

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:32:57 AM by Brian Ross »

Brian Ross

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »
Here are some additional drone photos that our friend Kevin Unterreiner at TwinCitiesGolf.com was kind enough to share with us. There is also a short video and a few additional photos available at https://www.twincitiesgolf.com/news/braemarfirstlook.

Here is a photo looking out toward the north from high above the 13th Tees that shows much of the front nine. Hole 2 (with the creek crossing) is in the foreground with Holes 1, 3, 4 (Tees), 8, and 9 also in view.

Looking Back Down the Split Fairway Par 5 4th Hole

A panoramic view of the 12th and 18th Holes with the Clubhouse in the Background

Looking Back at the Par 3 13th Hole with the Tees Perched on the Hill in the Background (the back tee is 83 feet above the green)

The Par 4 15th Hole from Above

Looking Back Down the Fairway on the Heroic Par 5 16th Hole from Behind the Green

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 11:56:39 AM by Brian Ross »

Aaron Hanson

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 02:29:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures Brian, the work done looks fantastic! As one of the closer public options to me, I'm quite excited to see the course next season

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 08:44:06 PM »
Thanks Brian, It bears no resemblance to the old course. I'd love to get there again.
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back