News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Taylor

Re: Midwest USA GCA Knockout - 2018 (See Reply #41 for Bracket)
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2018, 01:26:37 PM »
Ryan Taylor and I finally completed our match for the ages last night.  The match began with 18 holes at the Willie Park gem, Red Run, which has been renovated in the last several years by Bruce Hepner.  Mowing lines have been altered and some tree removal has occurred, much improving the golf course.  Shaved areas around the greens make for increased recovery options, and fairway cut all the way to the edges of the bunkers makes them come into play more often.  It was a match with many halved holes.  Finishing up after the sun went down, I felt pretty good about my one-up lead on the 18th tee.  However, Ryan put his approach shot to 6 inches, and tapped in for birdie to square the match.  With no sunlight left for a playoff, there was no winner after day one.

So, rather than re-convene somewhere for a sudden death playoff, we decided to play a full 18 hole playoff, in classic US Open style.  We met up at Inverness yesterday, where Ryan's better skill finally won out.  He got off to a quick lead, which became insurmountable.  At 5 up with 5 to play, I kept fighting and was able to hang around all the way until the 17th green, eventually losing 2 & 1.  It was an awfully memorable match, playing 36 holes over two courses in two states.  Congrats to Ryan and good luck in the next round!

Great write up. I'm glad that we got out to both courses. Bruce Hepner has made the obvious and necessary changes  to Red Run GC. The fun part comes next! (i.e. less obvious tree removal, introduction of native areas, bunker renovation, etc.) Inverness on the other hand just keeps getting better and better. I don't even know where to start with my praise for the golf course, facilities and overall vibe of the club. The Andrew Green designed holes blend perfectly into the routing and feel like they've been there forever. I absolutely love holes #3-#5 and they may be my favorites along with #1, #6, #10 and #18.

Thanks again Matt for a great couple of days. We've now played matches against each other at; Inverness Club, Red Run GC and Bandon Preserve. Let's do it again next year!
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

JReese

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2018, 07:04:26 PM »
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

JReese

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2018, 07:15:42 PM »
I had to unfortunately forfeit to Nigel as school and activities have both resumed for 2 of the 3.  Good luck in the next round Nigel and hopefully we can find time to get a round in next year. 

In order to keep things moving along, if anyone knows you aren't going to play please let your opponent know. 
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

JReese

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
Is anyone still planning on playing their match?  If not, since Islam and Sturges have made it to the semifinals, lets have them square off for the championship if there are no objections. 

C. Sturges

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2018, 12:05:25 PM »
Hello James,

To funny, I was going to be a jerk today and ask the same thing!

Anyone else going to play matches soon?

Nigel, what do you think?

chris

Nigel Islam

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »
Fine by me. I will message you my contact info.

C. Sturges

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2018, 08:18:35 AM »
Good day,

Nigel and I are scheduled to play our match tomorrow.

Good luck and have fun!

chris

C. Sturges

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
Yesterday Nigel and I completed our match, along with our Allstar scorer Criss Titschinger.  The three of us battled the famed Victoria National, and were all badly beaten.  The course came out a head in all counts.  If planning on playing Victoria Natioanal for the first time, bring lots of extra golf balls!
I feel I was given an advantage not playing the course before because of how difficult the closing stretch can be when you don’t know where the golf ball is going.  Luckily for me, I was able to get a lead on the front side that Nigel was not able to overcome.  I was able to win our match yesterday, but would be willing to bet he crushes me next time we play!

Thank you James for setting this up!  I look forward to teeing it up with you in the future!!!
Thank you everyone I got to play against this year, Joe, Tom, Josh, and Nigel.  This to me is what makes GCA so special!  Getting to meet and play golf with other like minded individuals!  I also want to thank Evan F., Bill S, and Criss T. for joining up with us in our matches this summer.

Thanks again and I am looking forward to next years event!!!!

chris

Nigel Islam

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
Lots of fun. I enjoyed getting to see Old Warson and Davenport CC, and it's always a treat to play Victoria National. I think the real fun of the knockout is trying to come up with the venue between the two players. I'm thankful Chris was willing to drive several hours to meet me though.

JReese

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2018, 12:50:07 PM »
Congrats Chris on your victory.  Glad you and Nigel were able to schedule and play your match.  Look for the 2019 Knockout sign up early next year. 

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2018, 07:30:32 PM »
My apologies for the massive delay...

It was a pleasure playing with Chris and Nigel as non-competing marker at Victoria National. The course is a very unique setting for golf, being on a former strip mine, and lots of little canyons running through it. As the high-capper in the group, I found the course pretty playable, but you will need to bring a lot of balls. Tough par 3's, especially 16. All three players in our group found the water on their first shots into 16. Really, the whole stretch of 14 through 18 is just brutal. I did have probably the best chicken sandwich ever after the round, which eased the pain a bit.

I won't bore with course pics, but here's proof of the match and the winner. Looking forward to 2019, especially when Josh Bills inevitably beats me for the third consecutive year.

The winner, with forecaddie. I've never seen Chris happier!

Front 9

Back 9
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:39:59 PM by Criss Titschinger »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
Criss...pics did not post!!!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2018, 02:28:46 PM »
Congrats Chris on your victory.  Glad you and Nigel were able to schedule and play your match.  Look for the 2019 Knockout sign up early next year.

Thanks again for organizing! Any interest in setting up Rounds 1 and 2 (36 holes) at Midwest location? Would be fun to get more guys together and may help complete the bracket. The Loop at Forest Dunes or Ravisloe seem like natural choices.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

John Emerson

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »
Man I feel robbed of a great time.  Shoulda jumped on this last year.  Count me in for 2019
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

V_Halyard

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2018, 06:25:40 PM »

Thanks again for organizing! Any interest in setting up Rounds 1 and 2 (36 holes) at Midwest location? Would be fun to get more guys together and may help complete the bracket. The Loop at Forest Dunes or Ravisloe seem like natural choices.
Thanks again James and I second Ryan's idea, at least attempt to get a couple of rounds in during a weekend.
Combine a bracket or two when possible.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2018, 07:40:44 PM »
Criss...pics did not post!!!

Blame Google. Switched hosting providers. Hopefully that works.

I like the idea of setting up somewhere to fit in a couple rounds. My problem is, if it's outside of Cincinnati or Dayton, I'm unlikely to be able to do it. Of course, if Lawsonia is in play...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:48:14 PM by Criss Titschinger »

John McCarthy

« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2018, 08:57:46 PM »
A mid-May Lawsonia Sunday would be nice.  Crooked Stick? Warren?  Warren would work for lots of people.  We just have to avoid graduation.

I hate to be the one to point out that McCarthy was undefeated this year.  I suppose I will take the People's Champion belt

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back