News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

Changes at Deal (Royal Cinque Ports)
« on: October 12, 2018, 07:44:56 PM »
For the old guard here many know I am an apologist for all things Deal.  There is no other course in the world I would want like Sir Peter Allen to play my last round.  If I had my druthers I would do a year in Deal and bother Mark Chaplin every week.

The greenskeeper at Deal does a STELLAR job of maintaining a blog about what he does there..

It looks like in concert with Martin Ebert and the R&A, the course is being changed in some respects.   Now I heard about some of these changes years ago but they are finally happening.

#16 will now have an alternate fairway around the large bunker about 300+ yards from the tee.  In the past I believe that fairway might have been there in one incarnation of the course.  What makes it interesting is it takes the valley of inglorious security out of play and may allow I'm guessing better angles into back pins-- I would need to play it.

#3 now will have its tee far left of where it was and almost play like a dogleg.  There will now be hillocks/dunes created on the right side of the hole that abuts the sea wall.. I like this change depending on how it is done as from the current tees I have driven it on the sea wall for an unplayable.

#2 new back tee

#17 looks like cored new fairway. New sandy fairway area which also abuts 5.

The only issue I have is some bunkers that look like they have frilly edges to them.  See around the 2:25 mark in the video from the blog below on #16, I think #10 has some as well.  Deal has historically had pot bunkering.  In the old pictures from Horace Hutchinson's book and pre war there were sandy wastes all over the course.  Time and the Army having occupied the course during WW II with fortifications obviously changed that appearance but I don't really love different bunker styles on a course.  I have to see it in person to render a judgement but I know this greenskeeper is amazing.  Deal has been awarded the 2020 British Mens Senior Amateur so the R&A must like what the club is doing.

I wonder will it ever get back on the Rota?  Something tells me they will be able to stretch the course to 7600 to 7700 yards if need be with some work.  Other than crowd control as the course is narrow and you've got a great venue ready for an Open Championship.  There is a ton of room for hospitality tents and for railway access to the club on the farm across the street and abutting the range.

https://royalcinqueports.wordpress.com

Look at the Oct 7th video...

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Changes at Deal (Royal Cinque Ports)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 03:51:58 AM »
The 16th double fairway could work nicely. I don’t know the course nearly as much as others so this is just an impression.

Quality of the work looks very good.

The ideas look all too familiar however.

Don Jordan

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 04:14:03 AM »
Looking forward to getting there next August, nice to have as a reciprocal club

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 06:10:01 AM »

The greenskeeper at Deal does a STELLAR job of maintaining.

James Bledge great guy and occasional poster on here.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 06:23:35 AM »

The greenskeeper at Deal does a STELLAR job of maintaining.

James Bledge great guy and occasional poster on here.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 06:27:12 AM »
Noel

One thing about M&E is that they do there homework on the history of a course so I suspect they will have attempted to tie in bunker style to times past, although with a course as old as Deals the bunker style could likely depend on what era they look at.

It does sound as though you are generally positive about the changes which is good to hear. With regards to the hillocks etc on the 3rd hole, they did similar work at Troon and I think the results were excellent.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »
Having been to two Opens in the past decade as much as RCP would provide a stern test to the players there simply isn’t the space for the Open. The logistics required are quite staggering.

That aside the changes look great, I had a very quick look during my 24 hours in Deal apres St Andrews and pre holiday. The changes to 3 should speed play and make the hole much safer, it will be difficult to hit the sea wall, I won’t say impossible! The dune returns some land to nature and protects walkers from errant golf balls. 16 returns once again to be a great par 5 rather than another long 4.
Cave Nil Vino

David Davis

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 02:52:06 AM »
Love Deal and changes look great.

I'd agree with Ally that Ebert seems to be following a theme of mixing bunker styles, I guess that was done at Portrush and Turnberry as well as others and now Deal.

Anyone know if that by chance is going back to what was originally there?

Ally and I discussed recently that it may become questionable once you start to recognize a certain companies work everywhere without knowing who is working there. Not that this work doesn't look good just seems to have a homogeneous feel to it.

I'd be interested to hear what other think.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 06:51:53 AM »
If it was just a few courses, I’d be absolutely fine with it, David... But we’re talking minimum 20 links courses here, following the exact same theme.

I’m also very happy with mixed bunker styles but when it’s so obvious that every fairway bunker is 100% frilly and every greenside bunker is fully sodded, it can sometimes look a little forced.

The Castle Stuart hybrid style is one that I like better and that has inspired me more.

Personal opinions though...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:44:36 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »
After this work Deal will have around 33 revetted fairway bunkers and 10 rough edged bunkers. 3 or 4 rough edged ones went in over the last couple of years but the two newest bunkers built last season were fairway revetted pot bunkers. So it doesn’t look like we will go fully one way or other.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
Reciprocal from where?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »
I’m in London until the 21st. This will be my first trip in nearly 12 years of visits that I have not been able get down to Deal. I really wanted to see the updates to the course. James Bledge is an amazing course manager and we are very lucky to have him at Deal. He has improved the course dramatically every year since he took over. The guy is one dedicated genius!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »

I wonder will it ever get back on the Rota?  Something tells me they will be able to stretch the course to 7600 to 7700 yards if need be with some work.  Other than crowd control as the course is narrow and you've got a great venue ready for an Open Championship.  There is a ton of room for hospitality tents and for railway access to the club on the farm across the street and abutting the range.

Noel and all RCPers,

I have always been a fan from afar of RCP. That video of the current work makes it look even more appealing.

That said, I would move for IMMEDIATE removal from "147 Custodians" if you go for "Rota" status. They are mutually exclusive, IMO. Send the crowds to Sandwich, and revel in the reality that the course looks awesome today, under refined construction. The USGA and R&A are not the friends of "147 Guardians".

PS - I know Royal St George's and Pebble Beach are on the list. There are always exceptions to the rule!
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 09:12:32 AM »

Noel and all RCPers,

I have always been a fan from afar of RCP. That video of the current work makes it look even more appealing.

That said, I would move for IMMEDIATE removal from "147 Custodians" if you go for "Rota" status. They are mutually exclusive, IMO. Send the crowds to Sandwich, and revel in the reality that the course looks awesome today, under refined construction. The USGA and R&A are not the friends of "147 Guardians".

PS - I know Royal St George's and Pebble Beach are on the list. There are always exceptions to the rule!

Im sure holding on to 147 Guardian status will drive all future decision making.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 12:32:37 PM »
I'd suggest that the R&A are very much the friends of the type of courses as typified by the GB&I courses on Rans list. I hate to think what the state of the game would be now if the professional sports bodies had been in charge.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 01:32:51 PM »
I'd suggest that the R&A are very much the friends of the type of courses as typified by the GB&I courses on Rans list. I hate to think what the state of the game would be now if the professional sports bodies had been in charge.

Niall

+1

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 01:47:49 AM »

Niall

I'm not sure. Would a friend would drop heavy hints that a course really had to have tees at 7300 yards if it wanted them to return on an 'official' visit?   Does a friend show favouritism and influence your choice of Architect, meaning your course is more likely to ressemble their other 'friends' courses? There are also examples of them dictating maintenance methods.

Not the kind of friend I want.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 01:02:36 PM »
Tony

As you know I've been a member of a club that's had the R&A hold events and the first thing to say is that they don't force you to do anything. They can suggest changes and I suppose ultimately decide not to hold the event if you don't agree to the changes although I've heard of clubs who have decided against certain proposals and the R&A being happy to accept that.

The other aspect is that they pay for the architect's advice (which the club can either take or leave) and I believe they also pay for any agreed work that is done. On top of that they also pay for the use of the course, which in turn brings in extra revenue as visitors want to play the course that's just hosted the Open/Amateur/Seniors or whatever.

In short, they are in no position to force themselves on the club and conversely, from what I'm told, act in very amicable and professional manner. What's not to like ?

Now, where's my R&A membership application forms ?

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 04:10:48 PM »
Niall your post is pretty accurate, the R&A facilities fee certainly covers costs. A hidden benefit of hosting R&A events is STRI agronomy support from 2 or 3 years out, that can really help the course manager to get the resources they need to present the course in the best possible way.

Mike Sweeney you don’t “go for rota status” I very much doubt the R&A are looking for another Open venue, the hidden infrastructure investment in venues is immense, increasing the gap between visits isn’t a good investment. For a club like RCP we produce the best possible course we can. Fortunately through the Hewitt and other events the “right R&A people” see the course and club on a regular basis. If they ask the club to host an event we are honoured to do so.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
Mark - I thought the British Amateur was the perfect event for RCPGC. It was a huge success.

The other event I would to see the club host is the Walker Cup. After attending the WC at National Golf Links and LACC I can confirm that RCPGC would be an excellent venue for this event. Just the right size club and facilities for the typical attending audience.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 06:29:50 PM »
Michael the Walker Cup is the toughest event to host, every 4 years, rotates around the home nations, not just links courses, etc. Sadly after a run of great non-Open venues there is a current run of 3 straight Open venues Lytham, Hoylake and St Andrews. Let’s hope that’s broken in 2027 which I’d guess will be Royal Porthcawl, that leaves 2031 first realistic opportunity.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 06:54:34 PM »
2019 Royal Liverpool
2021 Seminole Golf Club
2023 St Andrews
2025 Cypress Point
2027 ?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 06:58:06 PM »
2019 will be 7-8 Sept at Hoylake... around the time of the Buda! Should make for a great trip!!!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 05:57:30 AM »
2019 will be 7-8 Sept at Hoylake... around the time of the Buda! Should make for a great trip!!!

Maybe we should invite the 2 RC teams to play in the BUDA?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Don Jordan

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 06:10:41 AM »
Reciprocal from where?

Royal Canberra 😀

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back