News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Firestone in Akron, OH and others now public access
« on: January 20, 2021, 04:41:57 PM »

Firestone, a Club Corp course, is now offering  a one-night stay and a single round for $595, which is the least expensive package. And that doesn’t include travel costs.

This is not the only ClubCorp club that’s opening the gates.Three other ClubCorp-associated clubs — Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.’s Morgan Run Club & Resort, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.’s PGA National Resort & Spa and Tampa, Fla.’s Tampa Palms Golf & Country Club  — are also offering stay-and-play packages to the general public.

Firestone, other exclusive clubs open to public play | Golf Inc. Magazine
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 04:44:55 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Firestone in Akron, OH and others now public access
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 06:02:17 PM »
Seems like a painless way to help the bottom line. I'm sure they can control the number of players.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

George Smiltins

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 06:09:44 PM »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 06:42:31 PM »
Played Firestone a long time ago and we stayed in rooms that were off the locker room. Bartender stayed up all night in case you wanted something. Only club I remember with that kind of set up.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 08:24:33 PM »
Played Firestone a long time ago and we stayed in rooms that were off the locker room. Bartender stayed up all night in case you wanted something. Only club I remember with that kind of set up.

The Lodge at Bay Hill has that sort of feel, although it is an actual hotel.

Stonewall has kinda the same feel, with the rooms in the upstairs part of the clubhouse.

I can remember the days when Firestone being open to outside play would have been a big deal.  Not so much now.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 08:32:13 PM »
I was there a little over 20 years ago. The bartender told me that most of the play was during the week. Weekends were pretty slow. Apparently there were a lot of corporate memberships and most of that  play was during the work week. I was there as a guest of An HVAC manufacturer. Not sure who owed the course back then.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 08:44:34 PM »
Two of the listed courses have "Resort" in their names, so it's funny that those are included.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 10:16:49 PM »
Seems like a painless way to help the bottom line. I'm sure they can control the number of players.

Not sure about this, Tom.  Seems like it makes the national memberships less attractive if you can stay and play without cutting that check.  I liked that place though.  Old school cool.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 11:17:43 PM »

Not sure about this, Tom.  Seems like it makes the national memberships less attractive if you can stay and play without cutting that check.  I liked that place though.  Old school cool.

Bernie, I have had national or international memberships in five different clubs. Going to a club where you have a membership and knowing the pro, super, chef, and other members is a lot different than a one off visit to a course.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 08:08:57 AM »
https://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Firestone-Country-Club/Stay-Play

this says 295 and you can play all day.

At $295 the consumer gets a pretty good deal with the room and unlimited golf whereas at $595 not so much especially if you only play one round. If you can play two rounds on different courses it surely gets better as a value proposition.

Steve Kohler

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 02:44:44 PM »
This seems at odds with the overall trend in golf... if total golf rounds and demand for club memberships were up in 2020, why is ClubCorp rolling out it's prize assets to the general public?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 02:58:28 PM »
I am surprised that Rancho Santa Fe is doing it. I went to there website and couldn't find a stay and play option.
St. John of the Cross

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 03:02:47 PM »
I am surprised that Rancho Santa Fe is doing it. I went to there website and couldn't find a stay and play option.

It says Morgan Run, which is a resort anyway.

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 10:25:10 PM »
Anyone play Firestone South before Dutch Elm disease killed a whole bunch of really magnificent specimens there?  I was once told t was really special before that happen...of course that statement was made to me before the world started to understand what trees could do to a course.

Just found following article:  https://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/wetrt/article/1986jan26.pdf This article says the Dutch Elm disease did its work in the late 1960's....before my first time there
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:31:30 PM by Paul Rudovsky »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 10:31:59 PM »

It says Morgan Run, which is a resort anyway.

Oh, my mistake. I thought it was Rancho Santa Fe GC.
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back