News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carlyle Rood

Your home club--where is it?
« on: October 19, 2003, 12:40:22 PM »
What is your home golf course?  Where is it located?  And by home golf course--I guess I'm referring to where you play the most golf.  (Just curious.)  I guess I should also solicit who the original golf course architect is too.

Atlanta CC
Marietta GA
Willard Byrd 1965
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 12:41:43 PM by Carlyle Rood »

Evan Fleisher

Re:Your home club--where is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 02:53:22 PM »
Dubuque Golf & Country Club
Dubuque, Iowa
Tom Bendelow (original 9), 1923...Roger Packard redesign in later years
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Robert Kimball

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 06:04:34 PM »
Carlyle, I live in ATL, but my home course is the Cotton Creek Golf Club in Spartanburg, SC (now known as 'The Creek Course').
 It is an average course at best, but it has great memories because I played it with my father when I would go home. Now he can't play anymore (age 81, and bad back), but great memories, and he always walks with me when I play).  

Question: What does a golf course have to be in order to make it "special" for an individual player?  I would love to have a crack at ANGC, PVGC, CPGC, NGLA, Merion, etc, but if that never happens, I will be fine with my time on the links with my dad, no matter where the course.  

Any thoughts from the treehouse regarding memorable rounds with sons/daughters, relations?  With future pros?  With Huckaby??  ;D ;D

redanman

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 06:06:18 PM »
You guys have no sense of humour sometimes.

Lehigh CC
See:  My home Course by Mark Fine!

Norbert P

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 06:09:14 PM »
Redanman, You always have a good sense of humour sometimes.

Tri-Mountain  (County owned)
Ridgefield, Washington  - Gowf capital of Interstate 5!
William Robinson (archie) and a crew of workers.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 06:12:07 PM by Slag__Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Paul_Turner

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2003, 06:32:42 PM »
In my head.

Seriously, I get the feeling I'm never going to join a club again.  Not sure it suits me anymore (prefer to spend the dosh traveling) and private golf in this part of the States (tristate) is ridiculously expensive.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Brock Peyer

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2003, 08:03:17 PM »
I am not a currently a member anywhere, I am waiting on TEPaul to get me on some nice tracks so that I can choose which one to join.

I don't know what course to call home.  I have only played 8 or 9 times this year, three times at The Georgia Club halfway between Atlanta and Athens so I'll call that home right now.  Once my daughter wants to start playing, then I will consider joining somewhere or when TEPaul calls me with a good offer.

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2003, 08:20:28 PM »
Hannastown Golf Club, Greensburg PA -  9 holes by Emil Loeffler in 1919 and 9 holes by Ault and Clark in 1997.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2003, 08:22:30 PM »
My home club:

Tedesco Country Club
Marblehead, MA
Founded in 1903....Original design probably by members....Redesigned by Skip Wogan with input from Wayne Stiles and allegedly one hole by Ross (Wogan was longtime pro at Essex after Ross)

All four of my grandparents belong...my dad, and two uncles also....My mother's dad joined in 1952 for $200!!!

See Tedesco CC in My Home Course by me.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

bg_in_rtp

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2003, 10:04:20 PM »
Home Club: Raleigh Country Club
Architect: Donald Ross (1948)

It was Ross' final design. The course is still about 95% the same as the original design. The routing is the same, although a few bunkers have been added by members and a few new tees when we used to hosted the Carolina Classic (Nike Tour) in the 1990s.  

My brother and I both belong to the club.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2003, 10:17:49 PM »
Home Club: Breezy Bend CC
                Winnipeg, Manitoba
Architect: Jack McMahon 1960

Run of the mill club, with a fantastic membership that makes me overlook some of the drawbacks of the golf course. Home to most of my benchmarks in golf, so it will always remain a special place.

Tyler Kearns

peter_p

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2003, 10:19:51 PM »
The Reserve Vinetards and GC
Aloha, OR
18-Robert Cupp 1998
18-John Fought 1997
Host of Fred Meyer Challenge 1999-2002 (r.i.p.) and
the not so major Champions Tour The Tradition 2003-2006

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2003, 11:24:26 PM »
Pensacola CC, Pensacola FL.  The club was founded in 1902 and is the oldest country club in the state.  The course was built in 1925 on property purchased on the bay the year before, with an original nine holes laid out by two members and a second added two years later. I have suspected Donald Ross may have influenced the design since he was passing through Pensacola on his way to Mobile where Mobile CC was built in 1925 by Ross.  Brad Klein's records indicate no stops in Pensacola.  But the greens are all smallish and built up and crowned areas fall off into deep bunkers and interesting chipping areas.  There is always a best angle of approach because of the small greens.   Tom Fazio did a favor for one of our members, Walker Cup captain Downing Gray, and helped in the redesign of our 405 yd par four 13th hole, moving the green closer to a bulkheaded pond front left that wraps around most of the green's left side and back.  The new hole is markedly better than the original, particularly because a large pine which was always in the way was removed from the left side of the pond.

GCA'ers John Bernhardt and Turboe/Darryl Boe have been down to play, and I would welcome any others who pass through here to stop by for a visit.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 11:27:42 PM by Bill_McBride »

Doug Siebert

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2003, 11:26:54 PM »
Finkbine golf course
Iowa City, IA
Architect:  Robert Bruce Harris (1953)  Been modified now and then since, especially in the last 10 years, but I'm not sure by whom.

Owned and run by the University of Iowa.  Nice course, fairly tough (due to a lot of trees that GCA purists would dislike)

A couple months ago they closed it early and burned off all the grass on the greens, tees and fairways to reseed with a low maintenance variety of bent (the greens were already bent, but had been enroached after 50 years)  It'll be interesting to see how it plays when it opens up next spring.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2003, 11:34:03 PM »
Pajaro Valley Golf Club
Royal Oaks, CA
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:01:38 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2003, 12:26:49 AM »
Commonwealth Golf Club, Melbourne, Australia (1926)

Original design credits to Sam Bennett (routing) and Charles Lane(greens contours and bunkering). Modifications (to put it mildly) by Sloan Morpeth 1967, Kevin Hartley 1990 and Tony Cashmore 2002+(ongoing).

A once great course that was consistently rated in the top 5 courses in Australasia, now somewhere in the 20's. Sadly redesigned in parts, leaving now only 11 intact holes from the original wonderful design (and counting).

A course crying out for a restoration and tree removal, which could easily be implemented under the guidance of the right people.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2003, 09:39:37 AM »
Oakbourne CC Lafayette, Louisiana. Dick Wilson, Later work by Finger, Dye and Spann. Traditionally a top 5 in La. regular stop for the State Am, Senior Am and State Juniors as well as US Open qualifier.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 09:43:04 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

THuckaby2

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2003, 09:43:29 AM »
The beautiful and challenging* Santa Teresa GC
San Jose, CA
George Santana design, 1962.

TH

* - it is neither, but the more I play it the more I love it.  We do have some really good holes and even the more mundane ones have more to them than meets the eye.

mike_malone

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 10:03:54 AM »
 Rolling Green Golf Club
 Springfield,Pa.
 William Flynn,1926
     Play it --you will love it
    My Home Course-by Wayne the Magnificent

We have other posters and lurkers--Matt Dupre,Jim Coleman,Dave Staebler,Pete Scuderi,and others i  have told of this site.I wonder if RG has more eyes on GCA.com than any other club?
AKA Mayday

Tim Taylor

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2003, 10:05:37 AM »
About to resign from Loudoun Golf and Country Club in Purcellville, VA. Nine holes from the 1920s, nine more from the 1960s. Fun little course out in the country. Interesting routing. #10 and 18 are both par threes and there is one stretch where 3 of 4 holes are par 5s. NO fairway bunkers, few greenside bunkers. Very small greens, mostly flat or canted back to front. Lots of character. But, alas, too far from home since we moved last year.

http://www.loudoungcc.com

Just joined Hidden Creek Country Club in Reston, VA. Ed Ault course from the mid 1960s. Typical 1960s course - runway style tees, fairway bunkers, large undulating greens. Exactly the type of course GCA loves to hate  :o It's close to home and work and has very family friendly facilities. Important when you have a 4 and a 2 year old. Much harder track than Loudoun. I will either get better or my handicap will go up.

http://www.hiddencreekcc.com

TimT
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 10:06:15 AM by TimT »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2003, 10:06:02 AM »
Alpharetta Country Club, Alpharetta, GA

9 holes by Williard Byrd, 1992
9 holes by a design firm employed by Links Corp. after they bought the course in 1995.

Funky little course that I love dearly, and is cheap (relatively speaking, of course) to belong to.  It'll never host the US Open, but I hit every club every round, and always, always enjoy it.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

CHC1948

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2003, 10:32:28 AM »
 1.  Carmel C.C. (36 holes)
          18-tom jackson (north)
          18-rees jones (south)

2.  Grandfather Golf & C.C.
           18-Ellis Maples
           18-George Cobb???(short course)

I don't have too much to say about Carmel.  The two courses are average.  Grandfather is a great course.  Played it this weekend, after the Virginia and Carolina Am. event.  The course was set-up to be extremely difficult, greens were lightning fast.  Grandfather has no weak holes, I think that is the ultimate compliment to a course.  Anyone out there that has played GGCC that has comments, I love to hear them.  

CHC  

Lou_Duran

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2003, 10:47:14 AM »
Great Southwest Golf Club
Grand Prairie, Texas
Ralph Plummer- circa 1965
Jeff Brauer- 15 new greens and surrounds in the early to mid- 90s.
Killian & Nugent (?)- redesign of tree holes and 3 greens in the early to mid-80s.

Now that TEP is no longer a "resource", can someone with computer savvy convert this thread to a data base, alphabetized and with the contact information?   ;)  Just kidding!!

Robert Emmons

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2003, 10:49:19 AM »
    1. Huntington Country Club
       Huntington,New York
      1910 Devereaux Emmet

2. Ibis Country Club
       West Palm Beach, Florida
       3 Nicklaus Designs

3. Pga National
      Palm Beach Gardens ,Florida
     1 Palmer
     1 Nicklaus
     2 Fazio  

Steve Lang

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2003, 10:51:00 AM »
 ;D

The Woodlands, TX
(27 miles north of the Great State of Houston)

The Player Course
The Palmer Course (27 holes)
The West -> Oaks (doesn't matter anymore since rennovated)
The North -> Pines -> Panther Trail (doesn't matter anymore since rennovated)
TPC (Von Hagge-Devlin)

8)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 10:52:00 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back