News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Holland

Re:Your home club--where is it?
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2006, 11:04:58 PM »
Greensboro Country Club
Greensboro, NC

1)  Donald Ross, 1909 (restored by Kris Spence, 1999)
     Par 71, 6016 yards (5 par 3s)

2)  Ellis Maples, 1962
     Par 71, 6914 (5 par 3s)  
Renovated in 2008-9 by Donald Steel, Par 72, 7302 yards, (5 par 3s, 5 par 5s)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:35:51 AM by Greg Holland »

Ash Towe

« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2006, 11:28:39 PM »
North Shore Golf Club,
Auckland,
New Zealand

Previously-
The Grange Golf Club
Auckland

William King

« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2006, 11:52:44 PM »

I am pretty sure I heard the municipality killed it, but I could be wrong.

Tis a pity if true, I really liked that old course, lots'o character.

Marc Haring

« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2006, 03:03:02 AM »
Cumberwell Park a course where I also happen to be Course Director at. It’s funny that having helped in the construction of this facility I always thought of it as being superior in design and certainly it has proved to be very popular what with 1500 members and a need for a forth nine holes. But over the last few years I have achieved enlightenment through the golfclubatlas system, a slow and at times painful process that has finally culminated in the realisation that the design is crap.

Thank you golf club atlas. :-\

Matt MacIver

« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2006, 09:28:55 AM »
Providence CC
Charlotte, NC
Dan Maples, 1989

Pleasant neighborhood course, suits me fine and is a great environment to teach the kids.  

tlavin

« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2006, 10:02:44 AM »
Beverly CC, Chicago, Bendelow, Ross, Prichard.

Olympia Fields, Park, Jr., Mungeam

Dunes Club, New Buffalo, MI, Dick Nugent

Brent Hutto

« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2006, 10:10:59 AM »
Cumberwell Park a course where I also happen to be Course Director at. It’s funny that having helped in the construction of this facility I always thought of it as being superior in design and certainly it has proved to be very popular what with 1500 members and a need for a forth nine holes. But over the last few years I have achieved enlightenment through the golfclubatlas system, a slow and at times painful process that has finally culminated in the realisation that the design is crap.

Marc,

It would be interesting, at least to me, hearing you describe what's different about your perception of the course several years ago versus your "enlightened" perception of it today.

Prior to coming here, my opinion of a golf course was primarily based on its scenic value (as much the surroundings as the course proper) how well it drained and how interestingly contoured the greens and surroundings were. Come to think of it, that's still the main part of it but now I am much pickier about "interestingly contoured" and I've begun expecting the fairways to have some interest as well. The one big addition to my understanding has been the recognition of genuine "options", in the GCA strategic sense, as opposed to false "options" which are in fact either gimmicks or else out of play for the majority of golfers.

peter_mcknight

« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2006, 12:15:49 PM »
Saucon Valley Country Club
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

The Saucon/Old Course, 6799 yards, par 71
H Strong 1922, E Grace/Wm and David Gordon in the 1950s

The Grace Course, 7051 yards, par 72
Wm and David Gordon 1953 (1-6, 16-18) and 1957 (7-15).  All 18 holes opened in 1958.

New 17th green debuted circa 1987.

The Weyhill Course, 6968 yards, par 72 (original tees)
Wm and David Gordon 1968

The rest can be read in My Home Course section under SVCC.

Also...

Pacific Palms Industry Hills Golf Club
Industry, California

The Eisenhower Course, 7199 yards, par 72
Wm Bell Jnr 1979
Staff are currently regrassing all fairways and tees and redesiging 6 of the greens

The Zaharias Course, 6821 yards, par 72
Wm Bell Jnr 1979
Staff will redesign parts of the course after the completion of the Eisenhower Course in September 2006

Even though I live up the street from Tustin Ranch, there's just no way I can get myself to play there--too much multi-colored housing and the same old T Robinson designs everywhere.

Marc Haring

« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2006, 01:01:39 PM »
Brent

The road to GCA enlightenment has been a difficult one with many twists and turns but generally I’m with you on the scenic element and funnily enough length. So many UK courses just didn’t measure up and indeed anything over 6500 was considered superior. Then of course courses with island greens, forced carries over lakes, big RTJ cloverleaf bunkers set way back from the green was all a big wow factor at the time. We just didn’t have anything like it back in the early nineties. But now I guess there are more than enough such courses to go round and the old values of strategy and subtlety in both colour and even texture has, thanks to this predominantly US based website (ironic that), opened my eyes.

The options factor as well. I remember thinking about this whole strategic/penal thing years ago when I first heard of the concept but couldn't relate it to the classic courses I had played. They are all intrinsically penal; well they are if like me you can't hit it arrow straight.

You have to admit though, what with Wildhorse, Bandon and Sandhills, the drive towards traditional to the point of being more traditional than UK traditional has been centred in the US. If only you Guys can get rid of those green striped up fairways and greens…………..

Jason Topp

« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2006, 03:11:19 PM »
1977-1984  Waveland - Des Moines, IA (From 1890's, major redesign in the 50's)

1985-1988 - Randolph North, Tucson, AZ (not sure)

1989-1992 - University of Minnesota (I think I heard Tom Vardon - 20's)

1993-2004 - Bunker Hills, Coon Rapids, MN  (1965 Gill/ 1991 Goldstrand)

2005-present - Oak Ridge (William D. Clark - 1921; see My Home Course)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2006, 03:16:44 PM »
Pacific Palms Industry Hills Golf Club
Industry, California
The Eisenhower Course, 7199 yards, par 72
Wm Bell Jnr 1979
Staff are currently regrassing all fairways and tees and redesiging 6 of the greens
The Zaharias Course, 6821 yards, par 72
Wm Bell Jnr 1979
Staff will redesign parts of the course after the completion of the Eisenhower Course in September 2006
Even though I live up the street from Tustin Ranch, there's just no way I can get myself to play there--too much multi-colored housing and the same old T Robinson designs everywhere.

Have they got the cable car working these days? I always thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen on a golf course. I played the Ike before the Babe had opened and for the next twenty years that I lived in LA, whenever I thought I was playing well I would go to Industry and see what I really could score. Toughest track in California for my money. I miss the golf library that used to be there also.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2006, 04:56:15 PM »
Newcastle GC, Stockton, Australia.
(See course review in Courses by Country)

1901 at Broadmedow.

At the site they are now:
Fred Popplewell - 1916
Eric Apperley - 1930
Par 72, 6860 yards (Although some new tees have been built which will bring it out to about 6950y)

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »

I am pretty sure I heard the municipality killed it, but I could be wrong.

Tis a pity if true, I really liked that old course, lots'o character.

I hope I didn't mislead, I meant killed the housing project or at least lowered the number of houses possible which could make it economically unfeasible.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 10:36:51 PM by Steve Pozaric »
Steve Pozaric

Brian Joines

« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2006, 02:39:53 AM »
South Bend Country Club
South Bend, IN
George O'Neil

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:51:26 AM by Brian Joines »

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2006, 08:15:31 PM »
My home course is Twin Lakes in Clifton, Virginia. I live in Arlington, VA, the smallest county in the US and home to zero public golf courses; Twin Lakes is about a 30-minute drive for me.  My handicap hovers around a 12 -- though I'm trying to get my game to the point where I can shoot in the 70s occassionally.

I also play with some frequency at Shenandoah Valley Golf Club in Front Royal, VA -- a great value and classic mountain track with 27 holes (even on a weekend it's only $50, replay rates are about $12 for the cart, free if walking or after 2PM; midweek it's under $30 I think). A couple of times per year I will play one of the upscale daily-fee tracks around the DC area such as Raspberry Falls, Whiskey Creek, Blue Mash, and Stonewall.  I'm always up for a new challenge or new golf friends if anyone's ever interested.

Twin Lakes is a 36-hole muni in Fairfax County, VA.  The newer layout, the Oaks (1998, architect Denis Griffiths) is (IMHO) one of the most underrated tracks in the DC area.  The older layout, the Lakes (1967) is a fun change of pace occasionaly for the better golfer and perfect for the higher handicapper.  The Lakes is more open with fewer hazards that come into play -- only three holes have trouble on both sides of the fairway -- and is less visually interesting.

My only complaint about the Oaks is its conditioning -- last year the fairways got quite chewed up in spots as the season ran on but this spring they didn't recover -- on several fairways it is near impossible to get a fair lie (you pretty much have to play these holes as ground under repair).  I have been told the fairways will be ripped up in the fall and replaced with Zoysia grass, and that the course will be cart-path only for a couple of years after that.  The course is hilly but walkable -- but the cart path only policy should slow down play to a certain extent.

The reason I like the course so much is that, for the price ($45 to walk on a weekend), it offers the best combination of balanced holes, challenging but fair (especially for the mid handicapper like myself), decent pace of play (the Lakes tends to get a lower quality of golfer and therefore play slower), walkable, and attractive (no surrounding homes) that's within 30-40 minuts of where I live.  The design is straight forward, with the occasional blind shot and bit of deception; the fairways are wide but trouble happens if you miss them by much (the Oaks is a fair title -- there are many heavily treed areas with thick underbrush).  Greens have some slope, but putts that don't have an obvious big swing due tend to break less than you will read; these subtle breaks can make it tough for the first timer to score well.  The course is not the toughest for a low handicapper, but quite difficult for the mid or high handicapper.  The white tees ratings are 70.7/135 for 6316 yards (from the tips it plays 6700 yards witrh ratings of 72.5/137).

[note: all yardages provided are from the white tees]

I think the biggest reason I have made this my home course is that I like the balance in holes: about an equal number of dogleg left vs. right; a good mix of long and short holes (par 3s range from 130 to 217 yds, par 4s from 300 to 435 yds).  And the par fours are especially strong: 5 of them are between 300-350 yds, but they each feel different and test different types of shots.  Several of them appear to be much easier than they play (at least for me). Yet two of the par fours are around 430 yds from the white tees, #2 has a 190 yard carry over a pond from the tee, then the second shot plays all uphill to a well guarded green on the front-left and a bailout area to the right.  The middle of the back nine includes a brutal stretch of four holes, the easiest of which is another 430 yd par four.

One other interesting quirk: most of the tree-lined areas are red staked.  I believe this is to speed up play; I wonder what GCAers think of this policy.

Mac Plumart

Re: Your home club--where is it?
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »
Bump...

My home courses:

Rivermont Golf Club
Johns Creek, GA
Joe Lee (1973), Mike Riley (2007)

St. Ives Country Club
Johns Creek, GA
Tom Fazio (1988)

My National Club:

Dismal River
Mullen, NE
I--Jack Nicklaus (2006)
II--Tom Doak (2013 ? )
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »
Currently not a member at any club, although getting closer to joining one in the area. Former member of the Sterling Country Club in Sterlibg, CO a Henry Hughes design (think Columbine Country Club in Denver - home of a PGA Tour stop in the past).  Now a State owned course due to financial issues, but will always be home to my family and I.  So many good memories there.....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Sam Morrow

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2012, 10:13:39 PM »
Cypress Lakes Golf Club
Cypress, TX
Jim Fazio, 1999

Adrian Cochrane

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2012, 10:46:01 PM »
Officially it's Greenhills Golf Club (Muyalert - London, Ontario), so I'm a ClubLink guy.  May be switching to a Toronto home club soon though.  Who else is in the GTA here and where?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »
National Pines
Innisfil, Canada
T. McBroom

Bigwin Island GC
Lake of Bays, Canada
D. Carrick

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2012, 12:32:09 AM »
home clubs
Four Streams GC
Steve Smyers
Bealsville MD

CC at Woodmore
Palmer
Mitchelville, MD

Away Clubs
Musgrove Mill GC
Palmer
Clinton, SC

Ballychack GC
Lester George
Roanoke, VA
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2012, 02:25:10 AM »
Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club
Deal, Kent

Worplesdon Golf Club
Woking, Surrey

Flossmoor Country Club (honorary)
Flossmoor, IL

Outpost Club

Marylebone Cricket Club
Lords Ground, London
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:21:11 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Martin Toal

« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2012, 05:24:58 AM »
Bearwood Lakes Golf Club
Wokingham
Berkshire, UK

http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »
Bro-Bĺlsta Golfklubb, Sweden

18 Stora banan - Peter Nordwall (1985)
9 Lilla banan - Peter Nordwall (1989)

www.bbgk.se

Brian Potash

« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2012, 07:39:07 AM »
My home course:

Hudson National Golf Club
Croton-On-Hudson, NY
Tom Fazio (1996)

My National Club:

Ballyneal Golf and Hunt
Holyoke, Co
Tom Doak (2006)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back