News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: City Park GC Denver
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »
Doug,
Understood.   Strangely, that unrealized potential makes me want to see it more.
And sorry for the misspell on Willshire.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 05:49:02 PM »
I also used to work at GVR, when it first opened. I enjoy the course but it has plenty of flaws.

Matthew, I'm curious what flaws you saw in Green Valley Ranch (aside from the abysmal 16th hole, that is).

Doug,

Sorry I had missed your question earlier.

There are obviously a lot of environmental restrictions at GVR that make for some strange holes. I especially was never a big fan of the tee shot at the first (long, semi-blind carry over ESA wetlands) for the first shot of the day. The tenth hole would have been even worse if it were the first, since it has ESA on both sides. Both are decent enough holes (the first has nice Cape qualities and there's something interesting about the way the 10th narrows the further you play, all the way to the back edge of the green), but both are just harsh as potential starting holes.

The specimen trees in the second fairway are nice trees but I'm not sure either makes the hole better, the second one especially. And then you also get trees in the line of play at 7 and 16 (and honestly sometimes 8, which is a par 3, lol). The finishing trio is a run of not great holes, though the 17th green in kinda fun. The 16th is the worst offender by far, just a terrible hole, but I never found much to like about 18 either. When we first opened the course the deal was if you made pars at 16, 17, and 18 you got a free drink in the bar, but I doubt many people were even brave enough to lie and say they'd pulled that off on those holes.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like that course. It has the Dye family use of angles, good greens, the wind blows a lot, and it's actually walkable (do they still let people walk?). Plus, obviously, I have a ton of great memories from a summer working there, including several weeks before the course was officially open. But the course does have a lot of penal features, including water or ESA on (IIRC) 12 holes, which is a lot more than you might expect for a course out on the plains by the Denver airport.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:21:14 PM by Matthew Petersen »

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 09:34:21 PM »
Every once and awhile a hole comes a long that is so bad that it creates a singularity of badness.  The 16th at GVR is one such hole.  Add the 18th to the list, and the 10th, and you have 3 horrendous holes.  Those holes consume all of my thoughts on the course, and thus I cannot recommend the course.

Red Hawk Ridge is another Engh that I would recommend, it's certainly not quite as interesting as Fossil Trace, but it has some cool holes.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2021, 10:56:49 AM »

This historic muni's $46 million remodel is earning high praise in 2021
Denverites are playing - and apparently really enjoying - their reborn, historic municipal course.

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/articles/course-review-update-denver-city-park
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2021, 01:31:22 PM »
I had no idea that City Park had undergone this transformation.  Sounds like a big win.

For the record, Overland Park (original Denver CC) is the oldest municipal in Denver, circa 1895 and I enjoyed playing there a great deal.

I wasn't able to get on Wellshire as I'd hoped due to a 3-day tourney but lord it looked tree-choked.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matthew Rose

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2021, 09:19:44 AM »
I moved away before I had the chance to play the new City Park. May get a chance on my first trip back there. It doesn't look particularly interesting from photos that I have seen, but it was pretty raw at that point.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

astavrides

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2022, 10:15:04 PM »
I played the redesigned course for the first time the other day and it was fun--much more so than what was there before.

A week before I played there, there was a heavy rain. Reviews of the course's flood mitigation features were mixed.
https://coloradoavidgolfer.com/city-park-golf-weathers-storm/
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/flash-flooding-also-hits-city-park-area-of-denver-sunday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back