News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 11:30:16 AM by Cliff Hamm »

Tom_Doak

Re: Arcadian Bluffs - South course
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:05:50 PM »
Is it done yet?

Cliff Hamm

Re: Arcadian Bluffs - South course
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »
It was scheduled to open August 1,  Just checked and yes, it is open.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:11:14 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Arcadia Bluffs - South course
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:19:07 PM »

Adam Lawrence's article from May issue:

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/a-sight-for-square-eyes-at-michigans-arcadia-bluffs

Quite a neighborhood for good golf with Crystal Downs and Kingsley Club nearby and the original course at Arcadian Bluffs
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:21:10 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

E P Purmort

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »
As compared to other newer inland courses, Arcadia Bluffs South is at the other end of the the aesthetic spectrum. Consider me interested. It'll be interesting to see if they can generate the buzz of a Mammoth Dunes or a Streamsong Black with the geometric CB Mac look.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »
Interesting that they chose against using templates.  Especially given that most Raynor and McDonald courses are private.

Peter Flory

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 10:15:37 PM »
The ground view pics are really striking.  Can't wait to play it. 

Mike Treitler

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »
Played it on Friday and it was fantastic.    I would say a mixture of Lawsonia and Garden City.   Probably not quite as good as those two but incredibly unique with wonderful bunkering.  I can't think of a recent public golf course with this type of classic architecture.

While not nearly as scenic as the bluffs course, it was incredibly fun to play.  I would love to have another crack at it. 

If you avoid the cross and pot bunkers you can spray it all over the place off the tee.  I would imagine they will be growing in more of the fescue as time goes on.  However, the real fun comes when you get to the greens.  The complexes are a site to see.  They may be a bit too extreme but they are very uniquely shaped.

Its in great shape as well with everything looking pure like an exclusive private club.   I expected the greens to be trampolines but I actually felt like they held reasonably well when considering how young the course is.   The fairways role forever. 

Arcadia now definitely has two great courses in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:08:08 PM by Mike Treitler »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »
How was pace?  Have heard that The Bluffs takes 5.5 hr or more..

https://arcadiabluffs.com/the-south-course

Mike Treitler

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 01:29:47 PM »
I would say both were roughly 4:45 both rounds... but a bit tough to say because I was in a group of 12 guys and wasn't really paying attention to it.    If anything it was shorter.  Definitely not 5 hours.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »
That is reasonable...much longer and I would pass...south is walking only, I think...

Mike Treitler

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »
Nope we took carts at both.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 02:26:23 PM »
 For me that’s a good thing. Folks here love walking only. When I was younger I couldn’t agree more. As you age and develop back, knee problems, etc. you realize that carts are a godsend.

William_G

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »
For me that’s a good thing. Folks here love walking only. When I was younger I couldn’t agree more. As you age and develop back, knee problems, etc. you realize that carts are a godsend.

Tom Doak

as you know courses are never "done"

Cliff,

carts really aren't the godsend, it's good health that is, LOL
It's all about the golf!

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Nope we took carts at both.

Any pics from the ground that you care to share?
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Mike Treitler

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 03:37:59 PM »
I can't seem to upload the pics... I tried posting JPG files and it won't let me and it also won't let me copy and paste.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 03:45:23 PM »
I can't seem to upload the pics... I tried posting JPG files and it won't let me and it also won't let me copy and paste.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Mike, to post pics you have to link pic file from a website address and use the YABB codes in square brackets img before and /img after the address, using Photobucket or image shack or other hosting site or your personal website etc..

How much was the greens fee, I'm thinking of heading over there for a twilight round
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:49:04 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike Treitler

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 03:49:10 PM »
It's $125 for standard and $90 for twilight.  That price is a major steal.   I imagine it will increase next year.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
It's $125 for standard and $90 for twilight.  That price is a major steal.   I imagine it will increase next year.

If it gets ranked top 100 by a  major publication, multiply by 2.

Steve Lang

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 05:03:10 PM »
 8)  Heck the Loop is $!30 twilight and you've got to walk...  $90 sounds good for a look 'n see
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »
$100 every Tuesday for seniors, 55+...ladies $100 on Wednesdays...

Mike Schott

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 02:17:59 PM »
8)  Heck the Loop is $!30 twilight and you've got to walk...  $90 sounds good for a look 'n see

The Loop is $130.00 Th-S high season and $105.00 twilight. In modern golf terms that's pretty cheap. Although I paid $90.00 to play it the first season it opened.

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 09:48:53 AM »
Aerial imagery is up on Google maps now.

CJames

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 11:13:53 PM »

Attached is the most recent excellent course profile by my good friend Jason Way and Andy Johnson from ‘The Fried Egg.’  Enjoy...

http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/arcadia-bluffs-south-course-review

V_Halyard

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 03:54:38 PM »

Attached is the most recent excellent course profile by my good friend Jason Way and Andy Johnson from ‘The Fried Egg.’  Enjoy...

http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/arcadia-bluffs-south-course-review
Great overview fellas. Kudos to Arcadia and the F/S crew for another creative and inspired public golf golf oasis!
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back