News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Hohman

Email yesterday from City of San Diego Golf Division:

At Augusta National, it's “Amen Corner.” 

PGA National boasts, “The Bear Trap.”

Innisbrook Copperhead features, “The Snake Pit” and Quail Hollow, “The Green Mile.”

Torrey Pines North Course Nos. 2, 3 and 4? That's up to you!

In 2016, Tom Weiskopf, the 1968 Andy Williams-San Diego Open (Torrey Pines) winner, completed a $12.6 million renovation, and the pros are quickly discovering the North is no longer the South’s little brother. Thanks to the award-winning alterations, the North Course is all grown up and has some real teeth to it.

In fact, during the 2018 Wells Fargo Championship telecast, the broadcast team noted holes 2, 3 and 4 at Torrey Pines North Course ranked the third-most difficult three-hole stretch on the PGA Tour this season.

Because of this distinction, we feel an appropriate name is required, and we want your input!

As the North Course's reputation continues to grow, we want you to be a part of history and help us name our difficult three-hole stretch. As extra incentive, we'll give the winner a complimentary foursome of golf on the North Course with two free carts and an advance booking in the process!

The name could be related to the Pacific Ocean, the bluffs, the San Diego weather, even Tom Weiskopf himself! We're looking for something unique, catchy and clever that captures the essence of Torrey Pines.

Here's all you need to do to enter :

E-mail SDCityGolf@sandiego.gov with the subject line “North Course Contest” and submit your most creative name. One entry per e-mail address. Winning entry must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Thursday, May 31, 2018. We'll announce the winner on social media and in our June newsletter. So put your thinking caps on and send us your best name for our three difficult holes. The person with most creative, relevant and engaging entry will have the honor of becoming a permanent part of Torrey Pines Golf Course lore and win some free golf in the process!

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 12:46:00 PM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Alex Miller

Re: naming contest, holes 2, 3 and 4 at torrey north
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 01:57:34 PM »
God this is pathetic... I believe this is the old 11, 12, 13 stretch, correct?

Not every group of holes need a name, especially when 2 of the 3 have been lengthened 50+ yards and no longer resemble their original form. Torrey North is a fine course, but it gets 1 round / year by the pros (over two days). I'm not even sure this is an above average stretch of holes...

Anyway, can't wait to hear "Torrential Triangle" or some other contrived shit next year during the broadcast...

Have a nice day everyone!  :)

Peter Flory

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »
The Penal Stretch

That is the best I got

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 04:58:00 PM »
The Penal Stretch

That is the best I got

And, really, all one could hope for........

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 05:01:24 PM »
The Triple T

Torrey's Terrible Trio!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 05:24:51 PM »
I have actually had several good players indicate they don't like the 9's being switch because the start is now brutal!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 06:34:32 PM »
I suppose they wouldn't be thrilled by "Desolation Row", but I like it. Probably not by "The Tijuana Straits" either. How about "The SoCal Shuffle"? Maybe "The Padres' Purgatory" or "The Third Degree"?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 07:24:14 PM »

Tora, Tora, Tora
The Tepee

Matthew Rose

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 11:04:10 PM »
The North course. The one that's on television only two days out of four, and half the time? They need a catchy nickname?

No, they don't.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 12:28:40 AM »
How about the "Three Holes that should have been on Torrey South"
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 12:57:52 AM »
They did use a composite at one time, didn't they?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 01:06:48 AM »
They did use a composite at one time, didn't they?

Not in my memory; the whole point of having two courses is that daylight is so short in January that they need 36 holes to get a full field around the first two days.

Now, maybe 30 years ago they played quickly enough this was less of an issue (and were field sizes as large then?) but you'd have to go back at least that far, I think.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 07:29:19 AM »
The first 3 holes of the North, what are now 10, 11 & 12 were the original start to the South. They later built 11, 12 & 13 for the South which gave them enough room to build the North, incorporating those holes.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Greg Hohman

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 05:45:02 PM »
A nod (and wink) to clothing-optional Black's Beach:

XXX
newmonumentsgc.com

Greg Hohman

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 12:39:10 PM »
From the city:

After careful deliberation, the Parks and Recreation Golf Division has chosen “The Undertow” as its top submission for the difficult and noteworthy three-hole stretch of holes 2, 3 and 4 on Torrey Pines’ North Course.

Peter Look was the first person to submit the winning name, which immediately drew our intrigue. Given the North Course’s coastal landscape and its clear connection with the Pacific Ocean, “The Undertow,” was a natural fit for the moniker.

The decision wasn’t easy by any means, we received more than 600 entries and there were a number of names that caught our attention. Some of the favorites worth mentioning in no particular order include “The Rip Tide,” “The Danger Zone,” “The Boomerang,” “The Tsunami,” and “Tom’s Inferno.”
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 12:42:08 PM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Ian Andrew

Clearly a missed opportunity .....

Revvin' up your engine
 Listen to her crowd roar
 Titanium under tension
 Beggin' you to hit and go

Fairway to the danger zone
 Drive into the danger zone

Headin' out at twilight
 Swinging out the drive tonight
Tom got you jumpin' off the track
 And shovin' into overdrive

I'll take you drivin' into the danger zone

You'll never say hello to noone
 Until you get it past the cliff line overload
 You'll never know what you can do
 Until you hit it up as high as you can go

Out along the cliffs
 Always where I burn to tee
 The further on the edge
 The hotter the intensity

Gonna take you right into the danger zone

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:28:10 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back