News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Hilly HAREWOOD DOWNS GC New
« on: October 09, 2021, 08:21:39 AM »
Due to the kindness of a felllow GCAer I was recently invited to play Harewood Downs. I knew nothing of the course prior to the invite and don't know much more now other than the fact that I continue to be surprised by the depth of English golf. Harewood Downs is located in the Chilterns within five miles of Amersham and much better known Beaconsfield GC. Huntercombe GC is about 30 miles west, deeper into the Chilterns.

Harewood began life as a posh private club in 1908. Within five years of opening the club counted two prime ministers, over a dozen Lords, a few generals and several parliamentarians as members. One may then think that the reason for Harewood's obscurity is due to little known architects. Not so! Horace Hutchinson and JH Taylor were the men responsible for the original layout. Although, more land was purchased and shortly after opening the course was redesigned. Braid had his say in 1928 by altering ten holes. CK Hutchison modified three holes about ten years later. I wish I knew more about the greens. They strike me as very modern due to the dug-out shaping adjacent to most greens. This style reminds me quite a bit of J Nicklaus' work in the 90s. 

I believe at some point, perhaps early on, the nines were switched. I am not sure why. In any case, the opener is fairly mild and not overly impressive at first sight. Although there is promise at the green end of the hole.  When looking at the dip shy of the green, we immediately get a glimpse of the shaping style consistent throughout the course.  The bunkers have obviously been redone recently by Mackenzie & Ebert.   

The aesthetics are awful, but it is an interesting bunker scheme for the par 5 second. It would seem some modern archies are adverse to variety of bunker size and shape.

Playing over the 2nd green, the short 3rd is a decent hole.

Large scooped out area to the right and rear of the green.

The paddock adjacent to the 3rd.

A short two-shotter, the business end of the 4th comes at the green. Trees down the left are a bit much. More large shaping around the green. It looks like balls can be played to kick off the left bank, but a gully between the bank and green will gather balls. This general style is often repeated, although the gulleys are placed in different locations.

A difficult par 4 over 400 yards, the fifth.

Turning back from the furthest point away from the house, the 6th is good, but not essential. At 450 yards, the 7th is far more difficult, but not a hole to note. The second of Harewood's five short holes isn't terribly short, but it is satisfying.

From this angle the devilish false front is better understood.

The 9th takes us in the vicinity of the house with a difficult down and up par 4. The uphill second will likely be blind. 

More to follow.

Ciao

« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 03:10:26 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

Re: Hilly HAREWOOD DOWNS GC 1-9
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 02:32:22 PM »
Lordy.  I've never played Harewood Downs but grew up in Chalfont St Giles and went to school in Amersham.  HD is half way between.  One Summer in the early '80s I worked on the bar at Harewood Downs.  Didn't really get golfers back then.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Mayhugh

Re: Hilly HAREWOOD DOWNS GC 1-9
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 07:19:01 AM »
Thanks for this tour.
The club's website mentions that they have "recently invested in USGA specification greens." Wonder if anything else happened at that time?

Sean_A

Re: Hilly HAREWOOD DOWNS GC 1-9 New
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 09:20:13 AM »
Harewood Downs Tour Cont

The front nine sort of treads water with a few highlights. The back nine is more dynamic and features several excellent holes. Somewhat similar to the 1st, the 10th plays downhill to a green fronted by a dip.  Fairway shadows portend the onset of winter  :'(

A lovely hole, the 11th plays to high point plateau fairway and green over two dips. Being over 400 yards, the green will be a resistant target for most golfers.

Playing to the far boundary line once again, the 12th is another short hole just shy of 200 yards. Trees are a nuisance here and there, especially as there are some pleasing interior and exterior views blocked.

Another drive which bangs into a hill, the 13th is a bit more forceful with trees in play. The course seems to drift away from the style of the previous holes at this point. On 14 there are fairway bunkers crowding in from the left which impact decision making.  The approach will often be blind to a sunken green.

Looking back up the hill.

Decidely uphill, the short 15th is far tougher than its listed 123 yards suggests. The shaping to the right is a tip off as to the width of the green. 

The final three holes are very good, but the 16th is probably the best hole on the course. Playing up a valley, most of the time nothing but two excellent shots will see a successful outcome. Driving over a hedge feels very English  :) .

These photos below show the sharp rise to the green. Often times there are false fronts for this type of hole which are more  accommodating to the run-up shot.

#17 is a devilish hole of 108 yards.

There is a crease cutting through the middle of the green which can make putting ticklish.

On the 18th a bunker juts in from the left creating a dogleg with OOB on the far side. Hitting toward OOB is dicey, but laying up is a reasonable option. The green is a demanding target and features another interesting putting surface.  Despite the terrible trees, this is a sound hole.

I have to say Harewood Downs impressed me. The hills are significant, yet not over-bearing...the same can be said for the greens.  While far from perfect, Harewood Downs is in good nick and has several excellent holes led by 16-18, 14, 11 & 2.  Harewood Downs makes a good partner or substitute for nearby courses of some repute such as The Grove, Berkhamsted, Beaconsfield, Gerrards Cross, Moor Park & Denham.  Give it a try if in the area.  2021

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 06:43:40 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: Hilly HAREWOOD DOWNS GC
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 04:34:08 AM »
Thanks for the tour Sean.
Not sure folks always appreciate how much time and effort goes into producing a course tour feature so well done.
Atb

Sean_A

Re: Hilly HAREWOOD DOWNS GC
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 03:54:34 AM »
Thanks for the tour Sean.
Not sure folks always appreciate how much time and effort goes into producing a course tour feature so well done.
Atb

Cheers WW.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back