News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Irish Open
« on: July 05, 2018, 12:57:47 PM »
  Watching the Irish open at Ballyliffin.   I find it very difficult to evaluate links courses on television. But the weather is gorgeous and the scenery is spectacular. Played golf in Donegal couple weeks ago.  Only wish I would’ve had their weather. At Portsalon we had winds of 40 mph. The good news was we were the only golfers on the course.

It is disappointing to see the lack of Americans playing.   It is too bad that Americans don’t choose to play the Irish and Scottish open before The Open. I suspect they don’t want to be away from home so long. I would also think it would increase their chances of winning.

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Irish Open
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
I would agree that it would be nice if more Americans would play in events like the Irish and Scottish Open, I would like them to more highly covered and coveted events.  But I don't think that is affecting their ability to win the Open Championship. Over the last 10 years 4 different Americans have won the Open, which a similar number of American winners as the Masters and PGA championship.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »

The Irish Open is in a tough spot for Americans as a lead-in to the Open.

It's one thing to head over a week early to get acclimated to links golf and the time change at the Scottish Open, but another thing to do it for three weeks total.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 01:59:28 PM »
 Perhaps next year when the Irish is at Lahinch and the open is At Portrush, but I doubt it. Just wishful thinking. I would add that there are not many top euros there either.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »
I would have told Jordan Spieth to play in the Irish and Scottish Opens to get his game together without all the distractions in the US plus get himself into links golf.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
I would have told Jordan Spieth to play in the Irish and Scottish Opens to get his game together without all the distractions in the US plus get himself into links golf.

Assume you get windy and wet Irish and Scottish Opens, and then arrive at Carnoustie and there is relatively good weather.

Who is in better shape to win the Open, a player that got his swing shredded by wind and cold, or the guy arriving fresh from practice and in Florida and feeling good abouts his swing?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
The weather in Scotland has been dry and fairly warm for quite a while now although it may change.  Still, I can see merit in acclimating yourself and honing in on your links skills.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 06:58:17 PM »
 So I did a search to see when the Irish Open with be next year. It is at Lahinch and only makes sense to have it the week before the Open at Portrush.  But, oh no. The world lacks common sense,so of course,it will be the Irish open, Scottish open, and then the open in Ireland. Very logical, huh?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 07:38:54 PM »
Jay Townsend maybe my favorite live golf telecast personality. I don't know who said it today but "greens as hard as a dogs head."

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »
Stuff the Architecture.
Go, Russell!
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:58:49 PM »
My wife and I at the same time said it's Dr. Suess:

Socks
Box
Knox

[/color]Knox in box.
Fox in socks.

[/color]Knox on fox
in socks in box.

[/color]Socks on Knox
and Knox in box.

[/color]Fox in socks
on box on Knox.

[/color]Chicks with bricks come.
Chicks with blocks come.
Chicks with Bricks and
blocks and clocks come.

[/color]Look, sir. Look, sir.
Mr Knox, sir.
Let's do tricks with
bricks and blocks, sir.
Lets do tricks with
chicks and clocks, sir.

[/color]First, I'll make a
quick trick brick stack.
Then I'll make a
quick trick block stack.

[/color]You can make a
quick trick chick stack.
You can make a
trick clock stack.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back