News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: "True Links": Did they miss one?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 07:00:30 PM »
This looks like a very interesting design considering the extremely limited space. Would love to play there, great find. Only about an hour from Biarritz, too, so not really that remote.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 03:34:37 AM »
The authors certainly missed Alnmouth Village, yet somehow picked up on Seahouses down the road. 

www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65709.0.html

I can understand not including Zoute...the site has at least to some degree been compromised by trees, development and I expect maintenance practices which have conspired to rob the site of its heritage.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:37:31 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 06:19:49 AM »
The first stage of the 2018 Tour de France started earlier and they are in the Vendée region just SW of Nantes. They were passing by Saint Jean de Monts and showed a few seconds clip of a golf course which definitely looks to be on links land. They have been showing helicopter views of the coastline, and there is no much links land there. The area itself is beautiful and definitely warrants a visit. The course looks very nice and is one that should have been included in the True Links book. It's difficult to judge how much of the course is on links land as some if it is tree lined, much like Noordwijk or Formby, but I'd hazard a guess that all of it is links.

Judge for yourself: https://www.golfsaintjeandemonts.fr/

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 06:29:14 AM »
The video under https://www.golfsaintjeandemonts.fr/parcours shows a lot of green. I'd venture that 9 holes are links and 9 holes pine forest a la Hardelot. Probably all of it is sandy, but maintenance practices are doubtful. Did it look so green on TV?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 06:38:53 AM »
Ulrich,

I didn't see much of it, but that whole regions is yellow and brown at the moment (like the rest of Europe at the moment). As you say, it depends on how they maintain it and the video makes it look less links-like than it could be.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 09:33:22 AM »
I wonder why Alnmouth Village isn't included when H Hutchison did so in his British Golf Links?  There can be no doubt its a links...seems a strange omission given the name is included in a such a prominent early work.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »
I wonder why Alnmouth Village isn't included when H Hutchison did so in his British Golf Links?  There can be no doubt its a links...seems a strange omission given the name is included in a such a prominent early work.

Sean:  did True Links include nine hole courses?  I don't remember.  [edit: I guess they did, they had Norderney.  So it's just a whiff.]

Donal:  I had planned to play St Jean des Monts (and also in the Channel Islands) right after our event in St Emilion, but I had to change plans to get back to Ireland instead - happily, to work on another true links.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:10:45 AM by Tom_Doak »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2018, 12:11:06 PM »
Donal:  I had planned to play St Jean des Monts (and also in the Channel Islands) right after our event in St Emilion, but I had to change plans to get back to Ireland instead - happily, to work on another true links.

Tom,

I will be back home in August to check, but I'm really hoping that that "another true links" is the one I'm thinking of and I don't have too travel far to see it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:14:21 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 12:20:13 PM »

Sean:  did True Links include nine hole courses?  I don't remember.  [edit: I guess they did, they had Norderney.  So it's just a whiff.]

Not only did they include 9 hole courses, they included 9 hole courses that were only half in linksland. E.g., Bushfoot at Portballintrae, No. Ireland
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »

Tom,

I will be back home in August to check, but I'm really hoping that that "another true links" is the one I'm thinking of and I don't have too travel far to see it.

as well as Gweedore_is that listed?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
Gweedore is listed.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back