News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Likable LUFFNESS NEW GC
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 06:57:07 AM »

Sean,

I think you have a point with the last few holes though I wondered whether simply varying the width of some of the fairways/playing corridors would help alleviate this. I found the course to be my favourite of the four on Gullane Hill.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »

Sean,

I think you have a point with the last few holes though I wondered whether simply varying the width of some of the fairways/playing corridors would help alleviate this. I found the course to be my favourite of the four on Gullane Hill.
I think that's right.  I agree that the front 9 is stronger than the back but the rhythm of the course is good, you're engaged from the get go and the whole place has a nice feel.  Perhaps the last 4 could be improved but a good step up from the Gullane courses.

Sean_A

Re: Likable LUFFNESS NEW GC New
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 04:28:20 AM »

Sean,

I think that's right.  I agree that the front 9 is stronger than the back but the rhythm of the course is good, you're engaged from the get go and the whole place has a nice feel.  Perhaps the last 4 could be improved but a good step up from the Gullane courses.

I admit to not being totally won over by any of the Gullanes, but #3 turns my head most...its just a shame technology has overcome the very clever design to some degree.  In any case, I do intend to return because its been a long time since I played any of the Gullanes.  Kilspindie is the clear personal favourite over Luffness, but I don't think there is anything between them in terms of quality.  Kilspindie has higher highs and lower lows.  Luffness is more consistent, but far less thrilling.  It all depends on one's disposition.  I note that Doak comes down 4 for K, 6 for G#1 and 5 for LN.  To me, Kilspindie is done the greatest harm.  To put it in context, Kilspindie would just about make my Happy 100 along with Dunbar, but not Luffness or the top two Gullanes. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 05:15:41 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 05:16:22 AM »

Sean,

I suppose it shows the differences in peoples tastes. Having played Kilspindie a lot and in all weather condition with all standards of golfer I have been amazed at its versatility. It is playable in all conditions and for all standards in a way that I have never seen any other course including TOC do. Yet it remains a challenge and fun at the same time. Due to this it is my favourite course and the one that I would be most happy to play each day. You have it just scraping into you top fun 100 where as it is certainly top in mine.

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 05:25:30 AM »
I’m a big fan of golf at Gullane, and think of G1 as being a bigger version of G2 and in turn G2 being a bigger version of G3. I’ve not played G1 for a good many years so my memories are a bit hazy but I’d still say I prefer 2 and 3. G2 takes more hitting but G3 is perhaps more fun. Where I diverge from Sean is that I tend to think increased length and therefore the improvement in technology, isn’t necessarily a friend at G3 as it’s easy to try and over power it and end up blindsided.

The thing that makes Gullane is that you have to work with the slope and the run. That’s something that even the pro’s had to do last week. If I was putting together a composite course I’d start with the holes on the clubhouse side of the road at Luffness New which is probably the best stretch of golf at Gullane, finish with the last few holes at Kilspindie and the rest would be a mix of G1, 2 and 3.

Niall

John Mayhugh

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 07:43:46 AM »
Sean,Thanks for the tour. I'm certainly intrigued enough to want to visit there sometime.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 02:58:57 PM »
I really like Kilspindie (but top of a Happy 100 ahead of Elie?  Wash your mouth out Mr Wiggett!) but agree with Sean that it's high are higher but its lows lower than Luffness.  For me, Luffness has it over Kilspindie because of its rhythm.  There are a couple of points at Kilspindie when the routing gets a bit awkward (a long walk back to a tee, a long walk around the house on the corner) and the obvious problems with the routing in the corner by the houses just mean that a round there doesn't quite flow like a round at Luffness.

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
I really like Kilspindie (but top of a Happy 100 ahead of Elie?  Wash your mouth out Mr Wiggett!) but agree with Sean that it's high are higher but its lows lower than Luffness.  For me, Luffness has it over Kilspindie because of its rhythm.  There are a couple of points at Kilspindie when the routing gets a bit awkward (a long walk back to a tee, a long walk around the house on the corner) and the obvious problems with the routing in the corner by the houses just mean that a round there doesn't quite flow like a round at Luffness.

On the other hand, there are few disruptions to golf equal to crossing a 60mph road...which Luffness has.  I will take the walk from 8 to 9 at Kilspindie any day over that.  Although, I do wonder why the 9th isn't a shorter hole legging left around the 7th green? This was the only awkward routing element I discerned.  That said, the flow of the course is heavily dominated by the front side with holes near the water.  But the flow of Luffness is a bit marred in the final five holes. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 03:11:02 AM »

Mark,

I haven't played Elie more than a couple of times so it is difficult to compare though I do like it and it is in my top 5 but not ahead of Kilspindie I am afraid.

Sean,

the 9th in its format from 20 years ago was a wonderful straight up the hill reachable par four. Should have been an easy birdie but was an even easier bogey. It is a shame it has been altered.

As for LN it is a solid course with a good rhythm as Mark says but the charm is in the whole experience but the course itself lacks that somewhat. The course at Kilspindie or Elie for the matter has charm in buckets.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:13:20 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 03:38:35 AM »
Sean,

the 9th in its format from 20 years ago was a wonderful straight up the hill reachable par four. Should have been an easy birdie but was an even easier bogey. It is a shame it has been altered.

As for LN it is a solid course with a good rhythm as Mark says but the charm is in the whole experience but the course itself lacks that somewhat. The course at Kilspindie or Elie for the matter has charm in buckets.

Jon

K's 9th tee used to be further left to make it straight?

I agree RE Luffness.  It certainly lacks the charm of Kilspindie and Elie.  That said, the course is good and worth a go if nearby.

Ciao

Brad Payne

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 01:43:26 PM »
As a 1st time visitor to Scotland earlier this year, when driving to play Gullane #2, I had no idea the holes of Luffness was a separate golf course!  I just thought those were the holes of #3.  Not until reading this thread did I know any different.  Haha.
Founder and CEO, Walker Trolleys
We are creating the most beautiful, high-end golf push cart for the player, purist, aficionado that appreciates style, form and functionality and chooses to walk the game.
https://www.walkertrolleys.com

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2018, 04:48:05 AM »
As a 1st time visitor to Scotland earlier this year, when driving to play Gullane #2, I had no idea the holes of Luffness was a separate golf course!  I just thought those were the holes of #3.  Not until reading this thread did I know any different.  Haha.

Its a strange thing around Gullane.  There is often a ton of flags on view, but its confusing as to which belong to which course and there are tons of flags not on view.  Plus, Muirfield can be spied.  I don't know, maybe Renaissance can also be seen from Gullane. Add in all the nearby courses and it boggles the mind. 

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back